The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rangers Ask For Draft Pick For Cherepanov

The Rangers want to get a compensatory second-round draft pick for the death of Russian prospect Alexei Cherepanov, according to the New York Post.

Rangers GM Glen Sather petitioned the league at the recent general managers meetings, according to the Post.

"The question is with the one parenthetical phrase in Article 8.3 (B) that refers compensation for an unsigned first-round draft pick who is '... again eligible for the Entry Draft or becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent %u2026'," Rangers assistant GM Cam Hope told the Post. "That language was inserted to clarify that a team would be owed a compensatory pick even if they were to re-draft that player or sign him as a free agent.

"It seems now as if that phrase is unintentionally precluding the deceased from being included as eligible for compensation. We understand that this is a sensitive issue, but with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year.

"We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support.

"If an unsigned player sustained a massive injury on or off the ice, the drafting team would get a compensatory pick. We believe that the letter of the law applies in this case, but even if there is a disagreement on that, it's clear that the spirit of the law applies."

:blink:

rules or not this just doesn't seem right.

"We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support." :blink: typical rangers mentality. <_<

aren't they really arguing over semantics? it wasn't a "massive injury" sustained during the game (not that i know of at least)...brother.

I disagree as their scouting/medical staff must take some accountability in the whole situation because had they done a better physical assessment of Cherepanov they may very well have precluded the situation.

i don't even know how he died so i haven't a clue as to whether or not they could have diagnosed him properly.

as far as i can tell the organization might be libel for a lack of medical care on hand but i'm not sure how that translates into a draft pick for the rangers.

Slats .... all business..... :rolleyes:

Hey, you take your lumps. If one of your players or draft picks passes away, retires, decides to take a year off to travel the world, whatever, you lose out on all that the player ever represented. You never have to pay them any salary either, for not working.

He's got too many staffers reading the fine print of league rules, to see if they can be re-interpreted differently than intended.

If he wants to protect his investment, he can take out insurance on his resources (including his players and drafts), like the rest of the business world does.

Good luck on this one, Slats -- fat chance, I say. :rolleyes:

I disagree as their scouting/medical staff must take some accountability in the whole situation because had they done a better physical assessment of Cherepanov they may very well have precluded the situation.

I kind of see Slats' point...But this strikes me as being in poor taste.

Agreed gentlemen. This just doesn't seem right.

i don't even know how he died so i haven't a clue as to whether or not they could have diagnosed him properly.

as far as i can tell the organization might be libel for a lack of medical care on hand but i'm not sure how that translates into a draft pick for the rangers.

Here are some details Bigsby:

"Russian officials said they believe, based on a preliminary autopsy, Cherepanov died because of a "hypertrophied heart" and suffered from chronic ischemia, a condition that prevents a sufficient amount of blood from reaching the heart or other organs."

"A person should not be allowed to take part in competition if he has ischemic heart disease," the AP quoted Vitaly Mutko, the Russian sports minister. "This means that in fact there is no preliminary healthy control and monitoring. And this system should be very well-defined."

Cherepanov’s agent, Jay Grossman, said medical examinations conducted both by the Rangers and the NHL last year did not reveal any defects.

Source: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/rangers/30993574.html

Here are some details Bigsby:

"Russian officials said they believe, based on a preliminary autopsy, Cherepanov died because of a "hypertrophied heart" and suffered from chronic ischemia, a condition that prevents a sufficient amount of blood from reaching the heart or other organs."

"A person should not be allowed to take part in competition if he has ischemic heart disease," the AP quoted Vitaly Mutko, the Russian sports minister. "This means that in fact there is no preliminary healthy control and monitoring. And this system should be very well-defined."

Cherepanov's agent, Jay Grossman, said medical examinations conducted both by the Rangers and the NHL last year did not reveal any defects.

Source: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/rangers/30993574.html

thanks. (how disturbing that these athletes are developing heart conditions at such a young age)

i did misread your post: i thought you were referring to the scouting/medical staff of avangard not the rangers.

i agree with you.

sorry 1970, did i misread your post?

Not at all. I have posted a preliminary report on his condition.

I am surprised that his condition was not picked up in the first place and think that the whole situation may have been avoided had there been a better medical analysis conducted. I believe the Rangers are still somewhat accountable for missing the health issues and should accept the situation rather than push for another draft pick. Sather being "Classless" is an understatement as far as I am concerned.

However that is just my opinion.

Not at all. I have posted a preliminary report on his condition.

I am surprised that his condition was not picked up in the first place and think that the whole situation may have been avoided had there been a better medical analysis conducted. I believe the Rangers are still somewhat accountable for missing the health issues and should accept the situation rather than push for another draft pick. Sather being "Classless" is an understatement as far as I am concerned.

However that is just my opinion.

i share your opinion. everything about it is disturbing.

Bigs, their wil be reeding lesons betwean 4 and 5 pm this afternon by yoors trooly :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: much appreeshiated.

This is going to hurt the Rangers big time IMO...It's going to make it hard for them to recruit both on the draft and FA front simply because this is a very dehumanizing move. And although these athletes may seem like machines at first glance, they're still very much human...And as humans I can imagine something like this will leave a bad taste in their mouths.

Not to mention there's a chance they could have saved his life, regardless of whether he played a single minute in the NHL. When Dr. Mulder met with A. Kostitsyn & gave Gainey the green light, he compiled a detailed outline of the issues Kosty had. He had determined he was on the wrong medication & if montreal had NOT drafted him, it was his intention to give that write up to whomever did draft him - even if it meant giving the opposition a better weapon in the form of a healthy Kostitsyn. That is class in an organization - that is thinking about the life of the person inside the uniform.

This move is classless and shameful. I cannot believe they would do this.

I dont know if there is an actual GOOD time to bring up a subject like this, but IMO, this is way to early in the greiving process to even mention it. The kid was not a piece of meat and his memory shouldnt be treated as such. Poor taste by the Rangers organization.

Archived