The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs For Sale?

Guest Steckle

If he is so intent on buying a team and putting it in Toronto,why don't he make a pitch to MLSE about selling the Leafs to him that should solve both issues for him.The NHL would never allow the Habs to be moved out of Montreal.Wasn't there a stipulation put in the purchase agreement by Molson that Gillett couldn't move the team out of Montreal,if it was I think it would still apply to the new owner if anyone was to but this team,which I highly doubt if Gillett has any intentions of selling the Habs.Baiselle is running out of options now so he is just throwing out rumors to see if he can get any bites. :angry:

k, even the habs are sold to another person, it doesnt mean that the organization is going to be relocated, does it?

Montreal is probably the best city in NA to generate revenue from hockey, so it doesnt make any sense to move to somewhere else.

The current owner of the canadiens is an american... I sort of what the habs to be sold to a canadian =P

I wish my dad can buy it lol

• 4 months later...

Well that story is coming back

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/dossiers/le-cana...le-canadien.php

Pierre Boivin confirmed to La Presse that the group BMO received the mandate to evaluate every possible strategy concerning Gillett's property

he goes on to say that those are hard time economic wise and that Gillett hired group around the world to evaluate all of their business

*Optimistic Post*

Already this morning, the radio stations in Montreal are saying "it looks like the habs are for sale..."

However, I don't see this move as necessarily meaning that a sale is imminent - just that as a businessman, he is re-evaluating his assets (all of them according to the report); which makes sense in these economic times. It is important to see what investments are making money and what investments are sinking the boat. Lots of people get their houses re-evaluated over the years, check on their stocks, etc. Kazillionnaire or not, it's really the same thing as anyone else, just on a [way] bigger scale. While they do state that restructuring and yes - even sale of assets - is possible, at the moment, it is simply at the stage of evaluation.

I guess it just bothers me that, while I appreciate Gillett & Boivin are being transparent in their business decisions concerning the Habs, the automatic jump to "omg, the habs are for sale" in the media just gets under my skin.

Well that story is coming back

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/dossiers/le-cana...le-canadien.php

Pierre Boivin confirmed to La Presse that the group BMO received the mandate to evaluate every possible strategy concerning Gillett's property

he goes on to say that those are hard time economic wise and that Gillett hired group around the world to evaluate all of their business

I'll certainly consider the source given there inherent ability to make a mountain out of a mole hill. LOL

I'm not sure what or how much Mr. Gillett co-owns in Nascar anymore. There's been some merging and re-organization there. I see him listed as a co-owner on four different Cup cars. But if ever there was a money pit, I would think the the Nascar (insert whatever sponsorship name they are using now) Cup Series would be it.

Without seeing the books for George its hard to comment on the situation. How much money does he have? How much operating income are the Habs providing? What is their true value? (AKA not Forbes).

I know exactly what BMO will tell Goerge, "Sports teams occur less of a setback during bear markets, even in this terrible depression the estimates of how low a sports team value will fall is undeterminable, yet history states the impact isn't as hard as other companies."

However IMO ALL SPORTS OWNERS should be selling their teams ASAP, there is a bubble forming akin to the o so famous sub-prime housing bubble forming in the sports world, check out league and franchise net growth rates, tickets prices amongst other things and in comparison to actual revenues and operating income for the evidence, and I could see a collapse in the sports market in the near future.

Guys an IMPORTANT piece of information from the article.

It DOOES NOT say Gillet is specifically looking to sell the Habs. It says and I quote,

"owner George Gillett is considering options for many of his assets, including the legendary franchise."

It doesn't say Gillet is trying to sell the Habs, it doesn't say he wants to, it says hes considering options on all his assets. Its a smart business move to do, there is no word on any sort of action, or that anything concrete is even being considered. Hes just getting eveluations done, and making decisions from that point further.

Guys an IMPORTANT piece of information from the article.

It DOOES NOT say Gillet is specifically looking to sell the Habs. It says and I quote,

"owner George Gillett is considering options for many of his assets, including the legendary franchise."

It doesn't say Gillet is trying to sell the Habs, it doesn't say he wants to, it says hes considering options on all his assets. Its a smart business move to do, there is no word on any sort of action, or that anything concrete is even being considered. Hes just getting eveluations done, and making decisions from that point further.

My point (as posted earlier) exactly.

Archived