The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hat Tricks In Montreal

habs_10

So I was at the game last night sitting with my girlfriend in the stands when Higgins scored his second goal. After jumping up and cheering, I told her... hopefully he can score one more, but then again, it'll be sad cuz no one ever throws their hat in this city.

I was exactly right. What is up with habs fans never throwing their hats onto the ice. They never do. The loudest most passionate fans and one old hat gets thrown. Pathetically, we threw my hat down off the balcony as soon as he scored, and never saw it on the ice. How sad is the person who caught it and kept it. I understand montreal is a fashionable city and even our hats are expensive and are really nice,can cost about 20-30$ but IMO i found it to be the only low point of the night. Non hockey cities throw more hats than we do. I'm just disappointed and thought i should share.

Apart from that... what a great game. GO HABS GO.

Well were are in an economic crisis... :P

haha, good point

I threw mine. After the game I walked over and picked it up off the floor in front of my tv, and put it back on.

Oddly enough, I never thought before last night that if I were to be so fortunate to attend a regular season Habs' game that I should wear, or bring, or buy, a hat specifically for that reason.

That's what the TSN announcers said too, "I know they're expensive, but throw those hats!"

Those TSN announcers probably make 6-7 figures, easy for them to say. Were I there, unless I brought along a $2 hat for the sole purpose of possibly throwing on the ice, no way would I throw it. A $30 Habs hat? No way I throw that on the ice. Higgins makes 1.7 million a year, he can buy people hats to throw if he wants :P

Those TSN announcers probably make 6-7 figures, easy for them to say. Were I there, unless I brought along a $2 hat for the sole purpose of possibly throwing on the ice, no way would I throw it. A $30 Habs hat? No way I throw that on the ice. Higgins makes 1.7 million a year, he can buy people hats to throw if he wants :P

I only have one decent Habs hat that I wear, and I would not have thrown that. Like you mentioned though, I would have brought a throwable hat for that purpose (after last night that is, cause I had never considered it before).

Some guy out there right now has my hat on his head and the purpose of the hat thrown was to salute higgy. i know the mentality of montrealers... it is, why would i throw mine, let the others throw theirs. everyone prob thought the same way, and so no hats....

anyways, i don't makelots of money, but i was so pumped, i grabbed mine and threw it. yeah it was 20+ $ but i wouldn't have minded if that guy didn't keep it. especially that he was sitting in the lower sections.

The fact that fans didn't thrown a hat is a testiment to our belief that, "There's no way we are going to score a hat trick, right?" <_<

*scoff*

People don't expect a hat trick. We are still, in a subtle way, suffering from the late 90s, early 21st century, where we were awful, awful, awful. People haven't realized they should bring cheap hats to the game because we might actually score a hat trick now.

I mean, I wouldn't have thrown my $20-$30 hat.

Some guy out there right now has my hat on his head and the purpose of the hat thrown was to salute higgy. i know the mentality of montrealers... it is, why would i throw mine, let the others throw theirs. everyone prob thought the same way, and so no hats....

That's not what I'd be thinking, I'd think "I really don't give a crap if no hats get thrown". Ya, it's a nice display, but considering that the NHL is now more of a business than it is a sport, I'm not going to feel to guilty that millionaire Higgins didn't get saluted properly. I would have clapped and cheered loudly (which the chance to do would have already put me over $100 in the hole). I'm not going to feel bad for being too "cheap" to throw my hat, when throwing it serves no real practical purpose.

. I'm not going to feel bad for being too "cheap" to throw my hat, when throwing it serves no real practical purpose.

Well it actually can serve the opposite. I remember being at a flames game - Fleury scored a hat trick & gosh there must have been 600 hats fly down from the crowd. Took them 5 minutes to clear the ice. By the time it was cleared & the play stopped again, edmonton scored almost immediately (like 30 seconds later) and then again a minute later. If the hats had not stopped play thereby stopping momentum, im not sure the Oilers would have had their sudden rush of energy. This is an isolated incident, of course, but throwing hats isnt always a positive.

To the OP: I think its bad someone never threw your hat down. You clearly made your decision to send yours out & that sucks it didnt make it. Is it possible it fell into a corridor or something? I just cant imagine someone would actually catch a hat & keep it. Weird.

I'm shocked so few people would throw hats. Since he's a millionaire he doesn't deserve a proper salute <_< Since their rich we might as well not cheer as much when they score or give them standing ovations after big wins. Hockey fans need passion. We've convinced ourselves that this team is worth our emotions. If the Habs are so damn important that you'll give up 80 nights a year to listen or watch games, and hundreds of hours pouring over stats, and lamenting losses you can at least get into it when something truly special happens. How many hatricks will we see this year from Les Canadiens. Probably not another. Throw the hats!

well i was big time dissapointed in the 1 hat on the ice the coaching staff or the towel boys should have run in the locker rooms and grabbed some hats and tossed them on the ice was halak wearing a hat he should of tossed his u could see it in higgins eyes looked like he wanted to see some hats...

I was explaining to my gf that people will litter the ice with hat. I was pretty embarassed when one 1 hat was shown on the ice.

Who ever is attending these games please throw a damn hat at the next game to make up for it.

Who ever was there yesterday, boooo to you for not throwing one. If you didn't have one then you should have grabbed one off the head of someone else.

Shameful.

I was explaining to my gf that people will litter the ice with hat. I was pretty embarassed when one 1 hat was shown on the ice.

Who ever is attending these games please throw a damn hat at the next game to make up for it.

Who ever was there yesterday, boooo to you for not throwing one. If you didn't have one then you should have grabbed one off the head of someone else.

Shameful.

Maybe by the time the shock that A Hab actually scored a hattrick wore off, the game was over !!!!

So I was at the game last night sitting with my girlfriend in the stands when Higgins scored his second goal. After jumping up and cheering, I told her... hopefully he can score one more, but then again, it'll be sad cuz no one ever throws their hat in this city.

I was exactly right. What is up with habs fans never throwing their hats onto the ice. They never do. The loudest most passionate fans and one old hat gets thrown. Pathetically, we threw my hat down off the balcony as soon as he scored, and never saw it on the ice. How sad is the person who caught it and kept it. I understand montreal is a fashionable city and even our hats are expensive and are really nice,can cost about 20-30$ but IMO i found it to be the only low point of the night. Non hockey cities throw more hats than we do. I'm just disappointed and thought i should share.

Apart from that... what a great game. GO HABS GO.

ya i agree, 1 hat on the ice didnt seem right... really disappointed that there wasnt more

I'm shocked so few people would throw hats. Since he's a millionaire he doesn't deserve a proper salute <_< Since their rich we might as well not cheer as much when they score or give them standing ovations after big wins. Hockey fans need passion.

Giving a standing ovation and cheering doesn't cost hard earned money. You see, that "it's a business" works both ways. Gillette has no problem making record profits and players have no problem signing ridiculous contracts to play the game they love (all of the money coming from fans much poorer than them), because, well hockey's a business. Yet when one of these guys get a hat-trick, people are supposed to forget about moneyy and only think of it as a game? If the owners and players have no problem thinking of hockey from the point of view of their pocket books, why should fans be different? I'd gladly throw a hat on the ice if the Habs want to give hats to throw, or even if I was wearing some hat I didn't care about. But if I have a hat that I like, that cost me $30 or so, no way am I throwing it on the ice for some symbolic gesture.

All I'm saying is the players and owners already expect a ridiculous financial contribution just for the privilege of seeing them play, they shouldn't be expected to waste more money on symbolic gestures. You can't have it both ways: take your fans for everything they're worth and then expect them to start doing you financial favours.

Now it would be nice if people brought a hat for the purpose of throwing, but I guess the odds of a hat trick are pretty low in any given game, so I can see why they wouldn't bother.

1 thing I noticed when I look at the Bell Centre crowd... not a whole of people even wear hats! Not to mention that the Bell Centre crowd is just not accustomed to hat tricks. But from here on in, if anyone reads this message and has tickets to a habs game... bring an old sweat-stained hat just in case! (aside from the one that might be on your head)

All I'm saying is the players and owners already expect a ridiculous financial contribution just for the privilege of seeing them play, they shouldn't be expected to waste more money on symbolic gestures. You can't have it both ways: take your fans for everything they're worth and then expect them to start doing you financial favours.

The entire act of being a fan is a symbolic gesture. I've never seen a hatrick, in any arena, at any level above maybe Bantam. What's a lousy hat vs. taking part in something cool for your team.

How is it a financial favour to chuck a hat on the ice? You're out a hat, but no one else gains anything financially. What does it do for Higgins beyond his ego? Are they gonna go sell em all for two bucks a hat - and make two bucks in the case of last night.

If you don't want to chuck your hat fine, but don't make it into a statement about how corporate the game is, and how people are getting fleeced. Look at the amount of garbage Habs fans bought for last years shortlived Cup drive. It was insane!! People gobble up the free giveaways, gleefully listen to corporate rock and cheer for silly promotions for giant corporations, devour officially licensed Habs this, that and the other thing, drink nine dollar beer, and pay outrageous ticket prices on top of it all. Yeah it's a crying shame but how does NOT throwing a hat have anything to do with the rest of the garbage. If anything throwing a hat bypasses all the corporate crap, the deSource.com powerplays and free LeCage chicken wings, and gets the fans doing something simply for the players. And heck it's kinda spontaneous and fun, but we wouldn't want that at a game. No better everyone stare like sheep at a giant jumobtron and worry about how expensive their precious hat is.

The entire act of being a fan is a symbolic gesture. I've never seen a hatrick, in any arena, at any level above maybe Bantam. What's a lousy hat vs. taking part in something cool for your team.

How is it a financial favour to chuck a hat on the ice? You're out a hat, but no one else gains anything financially. What does it do for Higgins beyond his ego? Are they gonna go sell em all for two bucks a hat - and make two bucks in the case of last night.

If you don't want to chuck your hat fine, but don't make it into a statement about how corporate the game is, and how people are getting fleeced. Look at the amount of garbage Habs fans bought for last years shortlived Cup drive. It was insane!! People gobble up the free giveaways, gleefully listen to corporate rock and cheer for silly promotions for giant corporations, devour officially licensed Habs this, that and the other thing, drink nine dollar beer, and pay outrageous ticket prices on top of it all. Yeah it's a crying shame but how does NOT throwing a hat have anything to do with the rest of the garbage. If anything throwing a hat bypasses all the corporate crap, the deSource.com powerplays and free LeCage chicken wings, and gets the fans doing something simply for the players. And heck it's kinda spontaneous and fun, but we wouldn't want that at a game. No better everyone stare like sheep at a giant jumobtron and worry about how expensive their precious hat is.

preach brother!

Should we all fold 20 dollar bills into paper airlplanes and throw them on the ices when a goalie gets consecutive shutouts (about as rare)? It would look kinda cool, but people would think "what a waste of money". It's easy to think of it only as a "lousy hat", but again, these aren't millionaires at the game. At least supporting the team by buying a jersey gives you something tangible, throwing your hat on the ice gives you nothing.

And "financial favour" was probably bad wording for that I admit.

Yet that's not what people are saying. TSN, the person who started this topic, etc. are saying you should be expected to throw your hat. I have no problem is people want to throw it, but to be expected to? Yes, I think it a game as corporate as the NHL, that is a little ridiculous.

Archived