The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Barry Melrose Fired From The Tampa Bay Lightning!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255866&amp...os=topStory_nhl

Kind of saw this coming. These new owners don't take any crap. Co-owner Oren Koules has formally offered Melrose the lead role in "Saw VI" due in theatres next October. (Ok, I made that last part up. :lol:)

Moreover, the new owners don't know crap. ;):lol:

They and Lawton are the ones that went out and got all those has-been forwards this past summer --- "lowest scoring team in the NHL" -- wonder why?!? :lol:

You just knew TBay would be the circus act for this season. I was scratching my head with certain media pundits picking TBay as a 'darkhorse' -- huh?!? :blink: Where were they getting that? (while they gazed at their 1986 Gary Roberts rookie card. :D -- Nothing against 'old guys', but it's a bit much to expect a 42 year-old forward to earn his $2.4MM/season scoring goals in this new, fast NHL. :rolleyes: )

________

Owners and GM Lawton overheard in the office: "yes, yes, Mr. Stamkos; we'll get you some minutes and off the 4th line ... we're working on it right now. How about a new coach? Will that it do it for you?" :lol::D

This is terrible for the NHL however, Melrose was a great marketing tool that a lot of people, even non-hockey fans knew thanks to, GUESS WHAT ESPN!!!!!

He was featured in multiple advertisements to kick off the year and if he wasn't a freaking idiot and played Stamkos under 10 mintes per game and Lecavalier 16 minutes hed still have a job and be helping the league grow.

@ the subtitle: While I know it was a joke, he can't go back as Matthew Barnaby is their new hockey analyst and I don't know how long his contract is for.

Every city wants the cup so when teams don't win the owners do this. I Hope Barry gets the job he wants.

It had very little to do with the current record of the lightning, of course it didn't help but the real reason of his early dismissal was his archaic coaching methods. During training camp, some of his best players were getting severly manhandled and he didn't do anything about it, he even encouraged it. He got what he deverved, he had a chance of a life time but he was just too stupid and that's really no surprise.

Do those owners in Tampa have a clue?? Have heard they are very hands on ( read busy bodies) that have little hockey sense. From what Barry is spinning, whiny players went directly to ownership. (read Vinnie wants to play more than 20mins a game and doesn't like to be called on poor effort).. what a mess is right..!!!

So they fire John Tortorella, he goes to TSN, Barry Melrose quits ESPN to coach the Lightning, Matthew Barnaby quits TSN to go to ESPN, and now Melrose is fired. Only one solution: Melrose goes to TSN, Tortorella returns to Tampa. :lol:
... how about Melrose goes to Montreal? ... light some fires underneath the Habs players' bench .... ;)

Let him light fires elsewhere, he is not an NHL coach, never was.

I was being somewhat facetious (hence, the wink). It's certainly not time to panic (yet), but I do wonder some about what will get the legs moving again for Habs players -- that'll have to happen first, for the confidence to come back; it doesn't happen in the reverse order.

Melrose didn't have much to work with in Tampa. Tocchet doesn't now either (since it's the same line-up). Having said that, the NHL game is much more tactical now than it was Melrose's first time around -- I don't think Melrose is an NHL coach, in today's NHL game. Why the owners and Lawton thought Melrose was the right guy is beyond me (Melrose said it himself: "they knew what they were getting").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRIWRKsSR3k

I agree with some of the things he said, a lot of the moves by management was just plain dumb such as Vrbatas monster deal and basically emptying the defense corp.

However Tampa was not a bump and run kind of a team, the blame lies on the front office for that because as Melrose states, "I told them what kind of coach I was and what kind of style I would be implementing" then it was a terrible hire by the CEO or whoever made the move.

Owners and GM Lawton overheard in the office: "yes, yes, Mr. Stamkos; we'll get you some minutes and off the 4th line ... we're working on it right now. How about a new coach? Will that it do it for you?" :lol::D
:D:lol: LOL! Turns out I was right!!:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/s...6a-543672cbf144

"Melrose told the paper the biggest dispute he had with Lightning management centered around the lack of playing time he gave to Steve Stamkos, the top pick in the 2008 draft. "It was a constant battle between me and the owners," Melrose said. "They wanted Stamkos to play more. They wanted (Radim) Vrbata to play more. They wanted (Gary) Roberts to play more. Every day was a constant battle. Every conversation was about it. I wouldn't do it. "I'm a big believer you have to earn your ice time. If you're not one of best guys, you don't deserve to play, no matter how much you make.""

Archived