Shawn Belle

DA_Champion

belle.jpg

Shawn Belle

AHL Statistics:
http://stats.theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=374
Career NHL statistics:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3367/c...pwSVxDCPVhivLYF

This guy has 2 points and is a +10 in 17 games. I looked at several of the defensemen on the team and he has the best +/- of all the players I looked at (Alex Henry, Carle, Weber, Valentenko, Chad Anderson)... it's not even the best, it's actually the best by a significant margin.

He was a first round draft choice in 2003, he played on Canada's national junior team winning the gold medal with the U-18 squad twice and with the U-20 team in the two years following, and he was decent in his only foray into the NHL (+4 with 1 points in 9 games). He played 3 years with Carey Price on the tri city Americans.

He is 6"1 and 220 lbs.

We have huge defensive problems in Montreal and have just suffered a significant injury. I have no idea why this guy is not being given a chance. I'm also surprised the fans on these boards never mention him - I couldn't even find his prospects page on these boards even though I looked - so I've decided to post some propaganda.

Thank you for finally entering this lad's bio thread.

I even sent a message to one of the mods last week on this very subject.

Surely if such prospect notables as Janne Lahti and Konstantine Korneev are given a spot, it was high time that Shawn got to hang up his shingle.

With any luck, he may soon be on his way to La "Belle" Province. Go Shawn!

Reading a story on the Hamilton Bull Dogs web site it sounds like Belle is the top D in Hamilton. I would like see Weber in Montreal for the PP but Belle is older, more experienced, and apparently the top D in Hamilton so it would not be shocking to see him in Montreal at some point this season. Belle was a very good player in the world juniors. Just seems like he is taking longer to develop into an NHL defenceman. He might be ready now.

He's now a +15 in 19 games with only 2 points which means he's very defensively responsible. At the AHL level anyway. He's probably mature enough at this point to log 14 minute games at the NHL level but like someone said, he's good for the Bulldogs team and do we want to risk losing him on waivers?

I think you have to take the risk in regards to waivers.

I think that any team that claims a callup has to keep the player on the roster for the rest of the NHL season. Not a lot of NHL teams that would be willing to keep an AHL player on their roster especially if it an injury callup situation. Although I guess it could be said that Hainsey should have been safe bet that he would clear waivers and he did not. Last year some people thought that Denis would be claimed off waivers and no team did.

After doing a bit of research I've come up with this info regarding Belle's waiver status.

Belle's 2 way contact: 2008-09: $600,000 Minor: C$100,000

In general, players are not subject to re-entry [recall] waivers unless:

1. The player is on a 1-way contract and is subject to waivers when assigned to the minors; or

2. The player is on a 2-way contract whose minor league salary is in excess of

2007-08: $100,000

2008-09: $100,000

2009-10: $105,000

2010-11: $105,000

2011-12: $105,000

Considering his minor league salary is not over $100,000 and he was did not pass through waivers to get to the AHL, he is not subject to re-entry waivers. He is, however, subject to waivers if moving from the NHL to the AHL because it has been more than 3 years since signing his entry level deal at the age of 20. So he can be called up no problem but would then have to spend the full season here or risk being lost to waivers on the way back.

After doing a bit of research I've come up with this info regarding Belle's waiver status.

Belle's 2 way contact: 2008-09: $600,000 Minor: C$100,000

In general, players are not subject to re-entry [recall] waivers unless:

1. The player is on a 1-way contract and is subject to waivers when assigned to the minors; or

2. The player is on a 2-way contract whose minor league salary is in excess of

2007-08: $100,000

2008-09: $100,000

2009-10: $105,000

2010-11: $105,000

2011-12: $105,000

Considering his minor league salary is not over $100,000 and he was did not pass through waivers to get to the AHL, he is not subject to re-entry waivers. He is, however, subject to waivers if moving from the NHL to the AHL because it has been more than 3 years since signing his entry level deal at the age of 20. So he can be called up no problem but would then have to spend the full season here or risk being lost to waivers on the way back.

The only reason we'd send him back down is if he plays the worst of all the defensemen on the team, in which case let him go.

Komisarek is gone, I say pair Belle with Hamrlik (O'Byrne and Brisebois rotating with Bouillon) and keep whoever plays better of Belle and O'Byrne when Komisarek comes back. If we lose Belle, it's because he isn't good enough to make the team.

He is now a +16 in 20 games with 3 points.

The next closest are Chipchura and Russel at +11. The next best defenseman is Alex Henry at +7.

+/- has incredible meaning as a statistic when you have the best one on the team.

O'Byrne and Brisebois are both inadequate.

Please give this guy a chance.

+16 really...wow good job. I would like to see how he fares on our team, as well as Weber and D'agostini.

I feel we have the pieces to the puzzle, we just aren't utilizing our prospects in the right manner. But hey, if the habs win 10 in a row without call ups, I'll probably forget I ever wrote this post

nonetheless, good for Belle. hope to see what he can do up on Montreal.

• 1 month later...

Since O'Byrne just got demoted to the AHL, I would love to see Belle get the chance to move on up.

Alot of people would probably prefer Weber, but I still think he(Weber) needs developing.

Belle can be put into the lineup right away, and is a tough mofo.

He and Bouillon could really crack some skulls together.

Since O'Byrne just got demoted to the AHL, I would love to see Belle get the chance to move on up.

Alot of people would probably prefer Weber, but I still think he(Weber) needs developing.

Belle can be put into the lineup right away, and is a tough mofo.

He and Bouillon could really crack some skulls together.

I'd like to see Belle be given the chance as he's been one of Hamiltons better defencemen this season. A lot of people here would be surprised at how fast he can skate for someone that's 6'1" 235lbs.

How tough of a mofo?

Anyone know how many times Shawn has answered the Belle in Hamilton this year?

Personally, I'd love to see the kid come up.

He's a 23-24 year old NHL 1st round draft pick who is excelling on the farm.

Give him a shot.

He has two fights this season.

Archived