The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Leafs Trade Steen & Colaiacovo For Stempniak

gracie12

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=257162&amp...s=topStory_main

Seems like an interesting deal. The leafs move 2 young players -one off injured & one slumping - for 1 young player from St. Louis who is having a great start to the year.

Rumors are that Burke gave advice on this deal, but it seems like an "un-burke-like" deal as it is toronto dealing 2 guys who are likely at the lowest value they have ever been for 1 guy who is easily at his highest value.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. St. Louis has the bigger gamble but could definitely reap much bigger rewards...

Discuss...

BWAHAHAHA

I usually am not one of those leaf bashers that patrol the board but this is just ridiculous.

Are they rebuilding or are they going for it?

This seems to be the leaf front office we're used to that seems to be in limbo.

I'm not sure how this is related to rebuilding or going for it, all players were about the same age, and Steen and Colaiacovo had a hard time getting minutes right now.

I actually like Stempniak, he's still 25 and he's already scored close to 30 in the NHL and he's around a point a game this year. Interesting trade.

This strikes me as being straight out of left field...IF you're going to trade 2 former 1st rounders in Steen and Coliacovo, wouldn't you expect just a little more in return? Maybe I'm over estimating their value and under estimating Stempniak. However, I still don't see why this move would be made on the crux of what appears to be Brian Burke signing with the Leafs...This all seems so odd.

Leafs cleared out the old deadwood heading into this season. Some of the young deadwood didn't come alive since; they are now getting cleared out. My read anyway.

re: Coli, I would add:

• Leaf are a little rich at the moment in decent, young D
  • He continues to get hurt rather easily
  • Got wall-papered by a smallish Hab (Tanguay) earlier this season -- quelle embarrassment! :lol:

Leafs cleared out the old deadwood heading into this season. Some of the young deadwood didn't come alive since; they are now getting cleared out. My read anyway.

I dont disagree with this assessment - i guess my only surprise is that they in effect "sold" 2 guys when their value was low & "bought" one guy when his value was high.

May turn out that the leafs win this deal but for right now I think St. Louis has more to gain in the long run. This one will take a couple of years to fully appreciate, I think.

it will be awhile before who know who won this, but I kind of like it from the Leafs perspective, they see a player they are obviously interested in and who might just be breaking out (the type of player Fletcher goes after: guys who are NHL ready but still young enough to have a bright future in Toronto) and in order to get him sends back two players who aren't really working out anyways.

it will be awhile before who know who won this, but I kind of like it from the Leafs perspective, they see a player they are obviously interested in and who might just be breaking out (the type of player Fletcher goes after: guys who are NHL ready but still young enough to have a bright future in Toronto) and in order to get him sends back two players who aren't really working out anyways.

This might be one of those trades that works out for St. Louis if Alex Steen adapts well to the change of scenery...he's got the skill set to be a great 2-way forward...I could see him peaking at 70 points...He'll be a steadier 50 to 55 guy.

I don't know much about Stempniak, but it seems to be a good trade for the Blues...

He's a pretty good little player, scored 27 a few years ago as a 23 year old and he's close to a point a game this year.

He's nothing special, but he's the best player in the trade.

He's a pretty good little player, scored 27 a few years ago as a 23 year old and he's close to a point a game this year.

He's nothing special, but he's the best player in the trade.

I dunno about that. He (Stempniak) is "nothing special", true (reminds me a little of less skilled ryder) - this is from the limited times Ive seen him play - but Im not sure id call him the best player in the deal. If healthy, Coli is a solid stay at home second pairing dman - the knock on him is how easily he has been injured in his career.

Steen has the potential to be the best player in the deal. I think he will be the key as to who wins. I suppose based on these 3 players today - before any of them have donned their new team's jerseys, then yes, Stempniak is the best - but as quickly as a month from now, we might be changing our tunes.

I dunno about that. He (Stempniak) is "nothing special", true (reminds me a little of less skilled ryder) - this is from the limited times Ive seen him play - but Im not sure id call him the best player in the deal. If healthy, Coli is a solid stay at home second pairing dman - the knock on him is how easily he has been injured in his career.

Steen has the potential to be the best player in the deal. I think he will be the key as to who wins. I suppose based on these 3 players today - before any of them have donned their new team's jerseys, then yes, Stempniak is the best - but as quickly as a month from now, we might be changing our tunes.

I've always thought Steen had a tonne of potential, but I think the Leafs have generally been disappointed with his play and his development. Colliacovo has always had the potential to be a top, shut-down guy, but as you mention, his injury problems are quite severe.

if pigs could fly .... :P

Just kidding, but the thing is that sure if Carlo could stay healthy he may be the best player here. But his injuries need to be taken into account when evaluating him, and counting them I'd say Stempniak is the best player in the deal.

If not for our offensive depth this season, say we had average offense and average defense, all things considered, of the three I'd take Stempniak, so in my opinion he is the best player in the deal.

[if not for our offensive depth this season, say we had average offense and average defense, all things considered, of the three I'd take Stempniak, so in my opinion he is the best player in the deal.

This is an interesting way of looking at it Graeme & to be honest If that was teh case, id probably take Steen - of the three - unless I needed help this second. I think in 10 years time we're going to look back & rate steen first of the three. This is just a hunch/gut feeling based on nothing more than speculation, but at the end of the day, thats all that trades are anyway, right? Risks & speculation.

Time will tell but I dont see this as either a huge risk or a huge benefit to either team - just a little tinkering.

This is an interesting way of looking at it Graeme & to be honest If that was teh case, id probably take Steen - of the three - unless I needed help this second. I think in 10 years time we're going to look back & rate steen first of the three. This is just a hunch/gut feeling based on nothing more than speculation, but at the end of the day, thats all that trades are anyway, right? Risks & speculation.

Time will tell but I dont see this as either a huge risk or a huge benefit to either team - just a little tinkering.

Really? I just see Steen as kind of a bust (3 NHL seasons where he failed to hit 30 points) Although, it's possible he'll still break out, time will tell I guess.

Really? I just see Steen as kind of a bust (3 NHL seasons where he failed to hit 30 points) Although, it's possible he'll still break out, time will tell I guess.

I think he's a typical case of being totally misused. The leafs drafted him with the expectations of an offensive star - which, despite some slick moves - he never gave indication he could be. Under the right tutelage I could see him being a Jere Lehtinen or Guy Carbonneau clone. He has tremendous natural instinct & positioning - reminds me of Bonk on the PK.

Now, thats not to say ST Louis will do anything better/different with him, but I think with Carbo & co he could have become a tremendous 3rd line pivot - had we not had a guy like Chipchura in our system.

I think he's a typical case of being totally misused. The leafs drafted him with the expectations of an offensive star - which, despite some slick moves - he never gave indication he could be. Under the right tutelage I could see him being a Jere Lehtinen or Guy Carbonneau clone. He has tremendous natural instinct & positioning - reminds me of Bonk on the PK.

Now, thats not to say ST Louis will do anything better/different with him, but I think with Carbo & co he could have become a tremendous 3rd line pivot - had we not had a guy like Chipchura in our system.

Or maybe... a Thomas Steen clone? :P

Archived