The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Anyone Involved With Boy Scouts?

DVRichard

I am a Scout leader with the 1st Lawrencetown Scout Troop in Nova Scotia. I took my Troop to the Canadian Jamboree in Quebec last summer (CJ/07) and met some Scouters and Scouts from all over the world.

Actually there is another Jamboree this comming summer in Nova Scotia, (Scotiajamb/09).

Just wondering if there are any fellow Scouters that are also Habs fans. If so, are any of you comming to Scotiajamb next summer?

YIS

Years ago I was in Cubs and then Scouts. It was fun but I eventually left to join Air Cadets

When I was in Cubs (in Thunder Bay) they had the '97 Jamboree in Thunder Bay. Since the Jamboree was only for Scouts I wasn't able to go to the whole thing, but they set up some one day visit for us. It seemed like it would have been a lot of fun. I think there were some plans for us to go to one once I was in scouts, but either I left before it or we didn't go due to costs or something. Hope you and the troop enjoy it!

Scouts was fun overall, but in the end I just thought cadets had a bit more going for it.

Wow... It doesn't take much does it? LOL

It actually clicked in not long after I posted this that there may be some confusion when I said 'scouting'. Sorry, but I was refering to The Boy Scouts.

I took the liberty of changing the title to " Anyone Involved With The Boy Scouts?"

I was confused as well when I saw that topic :lol:

However, it's your thread and if you want me to change it back to the way it was, no big deal.

On the topic, I was a cub scout when I was young for about 3 years. It was a blast. I'm glad you're devoting your time to this Richard, my memories of the scouts will last a lifetime.

It actually clicked in not long after I posted this that there may be some confusion when I said 'scouting'. Sorry, but I was refering to The Boy Scouts.

This is just a curiosity question, but are they still officially called "The Boy Scouts"? I'm just wondering because I know girls are allowed.

The Canadian scouting movement refers to themselves as 'Scouts Canada'. I believe in the USA the refer to themselves as The Boy Scouts of America. (Someone may correct me if I am mis-informed.)

Yes, girls are definitely allowed to join, however the reverse is not true. Boys cannot join Girl Guides. Mind you, I don't know of any that want to.

We currently do not have any girls in our Troop, not because we don't want them to join, but we have a very strong and active Girl Guide program in our area. My wife was a leader for 9 years while our daughter was involved. She took them to camps just as much as we take our troop and we have done a few joint camps where they have done several activities similar to what we were doing at CJ. They have also done outdoor survival programs with us, learning to start fires with a flint, learned to make lean-to's and at our last camp our guys taught them about geocaching. ( Scavenger hunt using a GPS).

Oh, and GHC, thanks for changing the thread name and removing the confusion. This is the first thread that I have started and I'm sure I'll be corrected again sometime!

YIS

(Yours in Scouting)

Archived