The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal Canadiens Vs Detroit Red Wings| Game Day | Wednesday November 26, 2008 7:30pm Est

risteenhuis

Montreal Canadiens (11-5-4) VS Detroit Red Wings (14-2-4)

Wednesday November 26, 2008 7:30 PM EST at the Joe Louis Arena

Stanley Cup Preview????

stanleycup.jpg24 Stanley Cups VS 11 Stanley Cups

Only one team can come out the West. The Detroit Red Wings no longer have a top level goalie so this team will have a hard time making it to the finals two years in a row. The team still has the best defenceman in the NHL and three of the top forwards in the NHL. Montreal has the offensive talent and star young goalie. The Canadiens should put together a rare 60 minute effort and show everyone why Montreal is the best team in the East. My prediction 3-2 victory for Montreal.

Projected starting goalies:

careyprice.jpg

Carey Price statistics

9 win, 4 losses, 3 OT losses

2.42 GAA

.920 Sv%

chrisosgood.jpg

Season statistics for Chis Osgood

8 wins, 1 loss, 4 OT losses

3.25 GAA

.881 Sv%

Players to watch.

koivu.jpgVS lidstrom.jpg

kovalev.jpgVS datsyuk.jpg

Watch the game on TSN (English) or RDS (French)

Listen to the game on CJAD (English) or CKAC (French)

Oh no. This game might be a disaster for Montreal. I am absolutely worried about several things going into this game. How long can Price continue to to allow no more than 2 goals per game? How will O'Byrne's mistake affect his future confidence? Will O'Byrne even play? If not, who is going to takeover the number 4 spot on D? Why are our top-6 forwards failing to produce any offense for games and games and games now?

.with an 8-1-4 record.
Yup. Their coach has been complaining about their defensive play (possibly better of late), but the Wings keep scoring goals. Amazing how that helps. ;) (as in memo to: Pleks, Kovy, AK46, SK74, Lang, Koivu, Markov, Higgins, Tanguay .... all the Hab "snipers" that couldn't pot one last night .... )

Oh no. This game might be a disaster for Montreal. I am absolutely worried about several things going into this game. How long can Price continue to to allow no more than 2 goals per game? How will O'Byrne's mistake affect his future confidence? Will O'Byrne even play? If not, who is going to takeover the number 4 spot on D? Why are our top-6 forwards failing to produce any offense for games and games and games now?

It's going to be a tough game for sure. I feel that O'Byrne will play since the game is in Detroit, and he won't have to worry about the fans booing him. It's a great chance for him to build up some confidence.

As you point out, the lack of offense is a big concern, especially when playing against a team like Detroit that sometimes can almost score at will.

Main (maybe even only, real?) problem, IMO -- kinda feels like last play-offs, 'cept no one's blaming it all on Price this time around. ;)

Detroit has the best PP in the NHL by a mile. Don't take penalties or they will score.

Osgood is no Hasek. He is very beatable but Detriot is winning this year with offense. hmmmm Wasn't Montreal supposed to have 3 offensive lines? I don't remember Montreal even having one offensive line in the past 10 games unless stinking counts as offensive :P:lol::D

I think that O'Byrne will play and I hope that he plays a simple basic game with very few mistakes.

It is about time that someone from Hamilton get the callup. IMO. Chips, Maxwell, D'Agostini, White, Stewart, Patches, and Weber would all bring youthful energy to the game and they could then play against Washington on Friday and be returned to Hamilton for the weekend AHL games. Latendresse is injuried and will be out for X number of games and Komi is out for 4 more weeks. Someone needs to push the better players to get the puck in the net more then once a game.

I liked Tanguay - Koivu - Higgins line on Monday night. I think they will have a good game on Wednesday.

I am hoping that Price has a great game. Although at this second it could be Halak that has to steal Montreal a win as I have not heard anywhere which goalie is starting.

Yup. Their coach has been complaining about their defensive play (possibly better of late), but the Wings keep scoring goals. Amazing how that helps. ;) (as in memo to: Pleks, Kovy, AK46, SK74, Lang, Koivu, Markov, Higgins, Tanguay .... all the Hab "snipers" that couldn't pot one last night .... )

Can we also send a "keep up the good work - please" sort of memo to Carey ...

(who has a less than 2 GAA and only 1-1-2 in the last few games) :blink:

It is about time that someone from Hamilton get the callup. IMO. Chips, Maxwell, D'Agostini, White, Stewart, Patches, and Weber would all bring youthful energy to the game and they could then play against Washington on Friday and be returned to Hamilton for the weekend AHL games. Latendresse is injuried and will be out for X number of games and Komi is out for 4 more weeks. Someone needs to push the better players to get the puck in the net more then once a game.

I haven't thought through the permutations enough in terms of line combos and D-pairings and waiver rules and 2-way contracts and assorted other ripple effects ... but ...

I tend to agree. My first preferences would be to see Chips and Dag come up. Not so sure about Weber, but it is tempting. Belle I just haven't seen or heard enough of to know, but his stats ain't bad.

Very nice gameday thread FS1975. Man that Stanley Cup looks nice, it's been a while since we held it.

The positive thing is that the effort has been there the last two games and we're moving in the right direction. Detroit will be the perfect test for us to see where we really stand.

Fascinating comparison between Osgood and Price. A goal fewer a game and huge difference in SV percent. End result though favours the guys in all red. Time for some of our offensive firepower to step up.

It's going to be a tough game for sure. I feel that O'Byrne will play since the game is in Detroit, and he won't have to worry about the fans booing him. It's a great chance for him to build up some confidence.

As you point out, the lack of offense is a big concern, especially when playing against a team like Detroit that sometimes can almost score at will.

against detroit? :blink:

i know he will get better but i don't think a game against a powerhouse will do much for his confidence...

i don't know what to say about playing the wings. the habs are playing better but they'll have to bring everything they've got and any confidence they have left if they want to compete, let alone win.

Main (maybe even only, real?) problem, IMO -- kinda feels like last play-offs, 'cept no one's blaming it all on Price this time around. ;)

Yep. Not only does it FEEL like last year's playoffs, I am pretty sure we haven't rebounded to the team of 2007-2008 yet. I mean, we have not been the same team since Philadelphia whooped us, and at no point this season have we reverted back to the talented Habs who finished 1st in the East. Either the entire league has us figured out (coming at us strong every night), and we're going to make that our yearly excuse for losing games; or the team hasn't been able to find its groove. If the team can't find it's groove, it's bloody well time to wake up and smell the coffee. 1/4 of the season is finished. Done, gone, caput. It's time to start finishing chances and PLAYING hockey. The team is going to be in bad shape if they don't pick up two hard-earned wins on this road trip. :unsure:

Detroit has the best PP in the NHL by a mile. Don't take penalties or they will score.

Osgood is no Hasek. He is very beatable but Detriot is winning this year with offense. hmmmm Wasn't Montreal supposed to have 3 offensive lines? I don't remember Montreal even having one offensive line in the past 10 games unless stinking counts as offensive :P:lol::D

I think that O'Byrne will play and I hope that he plays a simple basic game with very few mistakes.

I liked Tanguay - Koivu - Higgins line on Monday night. I think they will have a good game on Wednesday.

I am hoping that Price has a great game. Although at this second it could be Halak that has to steal Montreal a win as I have not heard anywhere which goalie is starting.

*looks are previous games; realizes he has plenty to work with*

- Yeah... should I go and retrieve the white flag now or do we want to test the possibility of us actually not taking stupid penalties half the game? :P

- Quick, lets make a trade with Colorado for Raycroft that can be immediately vetoed the next day. No one expects or likes him anyhow, might as well ruin his numbers :lol:

- Now remember O'Byrne the puck goes in the other team's net. ;)

Okay I'll try to cease the pessimistic jokes however I promise nothing!

TSN and habsinsideout both confirm that Price is starting...

good going on making an early game thread to wash out the last one :)

hopefully habs take this one. they played well last two games, and eventually it'll all start clicking again. and by eventually, i mean (hope) Wednesday.

the one positive for this game is that there is no love for the goalie. this won't be drawing blood on him- MEANING- we might hit an open net!!

We cant do worse than we did last year against Detroit. Funny how it was about the same time of the season (December 4th last year), how we had issues with a young D-man (Gorges) and discussions about to boo or not to boo our own players at the Bell Centre.

All I want to see is an interesting hockey game played by interested players.

We cant do worse than we did last year against Detroit. Funny how it was about the same time of the season (December 4th last year), how we had issues with a young D-man (Gorges) and discussions about to boo or not to boo our own players at the Bell Centre.

All I want to see is an interesting hockey game played by interested players.

Well, you'll definitely see interested players, maybe not on our side by the Champs will be ready to play as they always are.

Really though, we aren't going to eek out a point against Detroit playing the way we did last night unless Carey is superhuman, our intensity level and focus need to match Detroit's for us to even have a chance.

Keys to winning:

1. Price must play at least above-average

2. A.Kost-Pleks-Kovy need to forecheck and be physical like last game vs NYI and create scoring chances against a very craft Detroit D.

3. Gorges must play at the same level and O'Byrne must have an at least average game.

Well, you'll definitely see interested players, maybe not on our side by the Champs will be ready to play as they always are.

Really though, we aren't going to eek out a point against Detroit playing the way we did last night unless Carey is superhuman, our intensity level and focus need to match Detroit's for us to even have a chance.

We didn't play terrible last night, we outchances NYI 14-11, we played a bad second half offensively but our D really steeped it up and played well which is a good sign, albeit Detroit is a whole other monster offensively.

Archived