The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Visors

leafsbaby08

I've always wanted to start a thread (never did before) but I could either never figure out what I wanted or else it was already taken.

VISORS!! They've always been a point of interest to me throughout the years. In the 80's as a small child I was used to seeing most players with nothing but a helmet on their noggin and the visors were few and far between. As the 90's approached I noticed they started becomming more popular. I remember asking my Dad why players were wearing them and he explained to me the obvious reasons. To this day, when I play pickup hockey at the local rink my buddies always probe as to why I never wear a visor or a cage seeing as it's only pickup hockey. My responce is that I simply get a better feel for the ice, my stick, the puck and an overall better viewing of the "big picture" out there. While the rest of them are on the bench cleaning of their shields with towels (even though visors are slowly but surely becomming somewhat more fog resistant), I'm taking breakaway shots at the goalie.

As for the NHL, I don't believe Don Cherry for a second with his bigot statements about Francophones and Europeans being soft for their visors. In general, it's mostly the the very gifted, prolific, talented, faces of the league type players who wear them. This I totally understand. What I can never understand is guys like O'Byrne, Kyle McLaren, Brent Burns... those type of guys who wear them.

On to my BIGGEST issue about visors... the size of them. I see so many players who wear visors that are completely pointless. Look at Higgin's, Koivu's, Scott Neidermayer. Keeping in mind that pucks, butt ends of sticks and whatnot always come up from down meaning those visors give little to no protection at all in which case you might as well just leave the visor at home to see the ice better. Take a look at Patrice Brisebois, his visor has a decent lenght to it and would provide much better protection. What do the rest of you think?

Keep in mind, my opinions are in no way, shape or form derived from Cherry.

I've always wanted to start a thread (never did before) but I could either never figure out what I wanted or else it was already taken. .

Congratulations but I'm guessing the MODS will probably move this to the " Around the league " section as it is not directly HABS related

Anyways , Visors should be worn when you come into the league. That way eventually everyone will be wearing one

Congratulations but I'm guessing the MODS will probably move this to the " Around the league " section as it is not directly HABS related

Anyways , Visors should be worn when you come into the league. That way eventually everyone will be wearing one

ARRG! I should have thought of that. *slams head on desk*.

To each their own.

I don't wear a visor when I'm playing. It impedes my vision.

Let the players choose, they're grown men.

Where's the line though? Why not let them choose if they wear helmets again then? I'm sure goalie's masks impede their vision at times, why not make that optional.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but 40 years ago people would have said the samething about making helmets mandatory. You wear a visor you're whole career basically as a kid right up till your 18, I don't think it would be that much of a problem if you grandfathered it in, initially people would complain, but eventually it would just be accepted like a helmet or a mask.

Where's the line though? Why not let them choose if they wear helmets again then? I'm sure goalie's masks impede their vision at times, why not make that optional.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but 40 years ago people would have said the samething about making helmets mandatory. You wear a visor you're whole career basically as a kid right up till your 18, I don't think it would be that much of a problem if you grandfathered it in, initially people would complain, but eventually it would just be accepted like a helmet or a mask.

And it's not always a true "choice" for all players. Because wearing a visor is still seen as being "wimpy" it is not an option for tough guys, or even some fourth liners, who depend so much on their reputation.

It has become a sad reality that players will do anything to gain an edge, if having no visor/helmet makes them think they will do better they will do without it, thats the exact philosphy behind the drugs in sports problem.

I agree with the grandfathering, if tough guys wanna fight I'm sure it takes 2-3 seconds max to get that helmet off.

I'm sure goalie's masks impede their vision at times, why not make that optional.

Believe it or not, masks are NOT mandatory. From the NHL rule book.

11.7 Masks – Protective masks of a design approved by the League may be worn by goalkeepers. Protective masks deemed to be worn only to increase stopping area will be considered illegal.

9.5 Protective Equipment - When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has possession of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his

helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing team has possession of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee.

Compare that to the language regarding a helmet:

All players of both teams shall wear a helmet of design, material and construction approved by the League at all times while participating in a game, either on the playing surface or the players’ or penalty benches.

A player may continue to participate in the play without his helmet. However, if he goes to his players’ bench to be substituted for, he may not return to the ice during play without a helmet.

11.7 Masks – Protective masks of a design approved by the League may be worn by goalkeepers. Protective masks deemed to be worn only to increase stopping area will be considered illegal.

9.5 Protective Equipment - When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has possession of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his

helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing team has possession of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee.

Compare that to the language regarding a helmet:

All players of both teams shall wear a helmet of design, material and construction approved by the League at all times while participating in a game, either on the playing surface or the players' or penalty benches.

A player may continue to participate in the play without his helmet. However, if he goes to his players' bench to be substituted for, he may not return to the ice during play without a helmet.

I actually knew that, Bob McCown always brings it up, but I meant for arguments sake basically.

I actually knew that, Bob McCown always brings it up, but I meant for arguments sake basically.

OK. I was actually reading the language on the helmet law. It looks like the backup goaltender must wear a helmet on the bench. I don't think I have ever seen that. They usually wear nothing or a baseball cap.

Is it just me or has Higgins gotten rid of his visor? :huh:

i don't know alot of the people the first poster mentioned i don't remember them wearing visors or know they have decided to forgo them (like koivu, though that might be cause of his eye, not the incident itself but the aftermath). But when did he get rid of it, maybe it actually helped him lol he sees too well now and its not helping!

I'd recommend grandfathering the visor. If I had as much invested in a group of people as these NHL owners and excecutives I would want to maybe be a bit more proactive in protecting my assets.

Also, the arguement that it impedes your vision is a bit ridiculous. Certainly for the guys who have been playing without a visor for years now in the NHL would find it uncomfortable for every young player coming into the league these days has played with a visor on for at least 2 or 3 years before even making the NHL.

THIS must be why Price's new mask design was rejected! Finally makes sense.

pricebighead.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived