1. 1. Player positions

• A natural goal scorer
    • An offensive defenseman
    • An experienced defenseman
    • An experienced defensive forward
    • A veteran backup goalie
    • Mats Sundin
    • A new coach

Be careful what you ask for, and keep in mind that young sergei is sitting in the same boat right now.

Not exactly. Sergei is having issues with immaturity but there is no doubting his talent and value to the team. For the first few games of the season he was our best forward. He also possesses superior vision, skating and defensive abilities. Ideally, these few games gave him a time to reflect and he will come back as the hungry kid we saw last season and earlier this year.

Gui has never really shown that flash. He doesnt skate well, pass or use his body effectively when ragging the puck. Has there ever been a 5-6 game stretch where you were truly impressed with his play? Sure, he may develop into a big time player but would you be willing to trade him for a piece that leads to a championship team?

Gainey traded Jarome Freakin' Iginla,one of my favorites, for an aging Joe Nieuwendyk which appears to be a terrible trade but for those keeping score that's Stars 1 Flames 0 in the cup department.

Keep in mind that playing with Koivu seems to make everybody better sauf Kovalev(arguably) i.e. Andrei, D'Agostini, Higgins, Tanguay, Lats etc...

I'd have to think landing a defenceman to solidify the blueline and spark the PP could be the missing piece for a true championship run. If Lats turns into John Leclair good for him, but its still all about cups and if we are as close as everybody thinks you have to take a risk if a guy like Visnovsky, Bouwmeester!, Pitkanen or Ryan Suter is out there. We have been building for a decade, and I am certain that Gui will not be a Franchise player in Montreal but he is young, has potential and represents excellent trade bait.

SUNDIN. As much as I have said in the past we don't need him I really think that he would solve alot of the problems right now...I used to watch alot of Leaf games in the past and Sundin would be the spark the Habs need to bring the PP back to life. The only problem is of course how to fit him under the cap.

Not exactly. Sergei is having issues with immaturity but there is no doubting his talent and value to the team. For the first few games of the season he was our best forward. He also possesses superior vision, skating and defensive abilities. Ideally, these few games gave him a time to reflect and he will come back as the hungry kid we saw last season and earlier this year.

Gui has never really shown that flash. He doesnt skate well, pass or use his body effectively when ragging the puck. Has there ever been a 5-6 game stretch where you were truly impressed with his play? Sure, he may develop into a big time player but would you be willing to trade him for a piece that leads to a championship team?

Gainey traded Jarome Freakin' Iginla,one of my favorites, for an aging Joe Nieuwendyk which appears to be a terrible trade but for those keeping score that's Stars 1 Flames 0 in the cup department.

Keep in mind that playing with Koivu seems to make everybody better sauf Kovalev(arguably) i.e. Andrei, D'Agostini, Higgins, Tanguay, Lats etc...

I'd have to think landing a defenceman to solidify the blueline and spark the PP could be the missing piece for a true championship run. If Lats turns into John Leclair good for him, but its still all about cups and if we are as close as everybody thinks you have to take a risk if a guy like Visnovsky, Bouwmeester!, Pitkanen or Ryan Suter is out there. We have been building for a decade, and I am certain that Gui will not be a Franchise player in Montreal but he is young, has potential and represents excellent trade bait.

Which puts Sergei right in the same boat !!!

I would trade either, or both, in a package to get a missing piece for a cup !!!

Yea I'll echo what others have wrote and basically say that if you compare the Montreal roster, and the capabilities of each of our players, we match up equal or greater than every other team in the league, excluding arguably Detroit.

Natural goal scorers? We got that in Tanguay.

Offensive Defensemen? Maybe, but I dont see this making the difference.

Consistency and execution will get this team where we as fans want it to be. This thread is entitled the biggest "need". Now I'll admit that we can obviously improve if we signed Mats or D-Bo, but they are not needs. If the half dozen or so underperforming players do not snap out of their season long slumps a trade for one guy will not do much in the long run, i.e. we dont need any additional signings.

you can build a team around great defense. if the d can shut down the opponent and still the offensive talent to move the puck when opportunity knocks it takes the heat off of your goaltender & your offensive players. we can definately use an OFFENSIVE player but i would take the Dman first.

i was patient and just voted today. glad i waited because this team can only find itself with some kind of comparison to carbs. i mean the very idea of brisebois getting the "A" had to come through the auspices of carbs, and man!- what a goofy idea that was. no wonder pleks took the jab. i would too. and so would have a lot of other players.

i voted for? you guessed it. experienced defensive forward.

We need a 1st offensive line.

Last year it was:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

and we had great success.

Early this season it was

Latendresse-Koivu-Tanguay

And we had great success.

Since then it's been a revolving door.

We should either trade some of our depth for available high quality offensive players (Ilya Kovalchuk, Brad Boyes) or we should get an elite offensive defenseman (Kaberle, Kubina, Weber, Bouwmester) to propel the offensive lines forward.

Our biggest need.

Someone who can put the puck in the net... We have enough play makers on this squad, we need someone who can put those pucks in. Our top scorer is a 20-25 goal scorer our runner up is Tanguay-a play maker who doesn't shoot enough, I think that says it all.

Archived