The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

San Jose On Pace To Shatter Nhl Single Season Point Total

The Sharks tied an NHL record for the most points through 25 games when they beat Toronto 5-2 Tuesday night. With 43 points, San Jose equaled (21-3-1) the 1943-44 Montreal Canadiens. Their 9 game winning streak was snapped by Edmonton in a 3-2 OT loss last night. In October they were 9-2. They followed that up with a 11-1-1 record in November and show no signs of slowing down.

The Sharks own a record of 22-3-2 after just 27 games have an unprecedented 1.6:1 GF/GA differential. In 16 games they have lost only twice at home (both in OT) and own a .727 winning percentage on the road. Their 102 goals scored is almost 10 better than the next team (the Detroit Red Wings) and their 64 goals against is only 8 more than the league leading 56 goals allowed by Boston and Minnesota.

There are 3 players averaging more than a point a game, 5 players with 10 goals or more and 7 players with 20 or more points. The one question mark is in goal where Evgeni Nabokov has only a .899 save percentage and GAA of 2.53 despite a 15 2 1 0 record.

records are ment to be broken however the question is can they continue this pace

what happeens to the team when those 3 players averging a point a game start to slow down, or for that matter what happens when other players start to hit slumps?

when the 82 games are over i guess we will have the answer ;)

There are so many factors involved in a full season (injuries, slumps etc) that I find it very unlikely that the record will be broken. Todays NHL is much harder on the body than the 40's were. Will they get lucky and key players can avoid injury? When you are the top dog other teams buckle down and play hard against you night in and night out, that takes a toll. But hey you never know...like Kindred said records are made to be broken, anything could happen.

A few comments on this:

• San Jose looks scary good when you watch them play, no doubt about that
  • The Thornton / Marleau / Sedagouchi line is something else -- they look like Healey/Nash/Getzlaf from the WHC last year (and I am not kidding, either)
  • San Jose coach instills accountability -- doesn't matter the team is winning 5-1 in a game, you make a bonehead mistake, you sit at least a few shifts.
  • Another record they may have to put an asterisk on (playing more games (82) than the old days; 'ties' now provide an opportunity to earn still another point, with an OT or SO win, etc.
Can't take anything away from them though, the way they are playing. For example, the only two home losses so far were both in OT/SO, and both where the opposing goalie stole the game with 40-50 saves each time. Oilers' Roloson did it to them last night.

Even if they come close, it's a tremendous achievement in this era of the NHL. In a thirty-team league where you play everyone at least once, with grueling travel schedules and a much more balanced talent pool a feat like that would be mind-boggling. I doubt it will happen and they won't top the 76-77 Habs, but it is tough to compare; like I mentioned, even if they come close, it'd be a heckuva feat.

But at this rate, they might have a playoff spot clinched before the All-Star break. :lol:

A few comments on this:

• San Jose looks scary good when you watch them play, no doubt about that
  • The Thornton / Marleau / Sedagouchi line is something else -- they look like Healey/Nash/Getzlaf from the WHC last year (and I am not kidding, either)
  • San Jose coach instills accountability -- doesn't matter the team is winning 5-1 in a game, you make a bonehead mistake, you sit at least a few shifts.
  • Another record they may have to put an asterisk on (playing more games (82) than the old days; 'ties' now provide an opportunity to earn still another point, with an OT or SO win, etc.
Can't take anything away from them though, the way they are playing. For example, the only two home losses so far were both in OT/SO, and both where the opposing goalie stole the game with 40-50 saves each time. Oilers' Roloson did it to them last night.

1) It's far too early to suggest the record is in jeopardy.

2) I don't understand why there is a goaltending controversy in Edmonton; let Rolie play.

Best offense, best defense, best goalie tandem -- it all helps, I guess. :D

Actually I wouldnt rank their defense best - top five, but possibly not even top 3 - and I certainly wouldnt say they have the best Goalie tandem in the league. Boucher is playing great, but if there's one thing we've learned from his 8 years in the league, its that he's streaky. When he's hot he's a top goalie but when he's not - well look how many times he's gone to the minors in his career.

Nabokov is of course their bread & butter & while he has a phenomenal record, his SVG and GAA arent elite level. If Detriot proved anything last year its that capable goaltending can win you a championship given the right firepower, so I dont think SJ will have issues. Still it will be interesting to see how this team does once the checking gets tighter. My gut tells me they may not make the finals -despite their regular season stats - just based on the type of game they play. We'll see - thats a looooooooooooong way off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived