1994 Ed Jonavoski

1993 Alexander Daigle

1992 Roman Hamrlik

1991 Eric Lindros

1990 Owen Nolan

1989 Mats Sundin

1988 Mike Modano

1987 Pierre Turgeon

I think it's interesting to see how the level of success varies from year to year. It does seem like there is more success in recent drafts. Some serious failures over the years... Patrick Stefan, Chris Phillips, Daigle...

Scouting has clearyly developed, technology such as rinknet, which is a product of globalazation, amonst other improvements in scouting techniques and technology have been so key to making better picks.

That and with much more money in the NHL than ever, teams need to make sure that they don't screw up a 1st overall pick, especially with a cap system, which could lead to extended years of misery and most certainly cost a GM his job.

It would be interesting to see a study of miffed 1st overall picks and how long that GM, scouting director or both kept their job.

I still think scouting should be done by a more pure statistical analysis, rather than the dumb way places such as ISS does it, (I don't know how specific NHL teams do it, but ISS can't be too far off.)

ISS scouts players abilities, their hockey sense and their "tools".

Nevertheless, scouting has definetly made strides.

Stamkos isn't ready for the NHL. TB forced him into a role he isn't ready for. They were so desperate for some talent, they went out and ''baught'' a team that isn't even performing well together and forced Stamkos right in. Some players can handle the pressure and are definately ready right after being drafted, but some aren't and would need some development time in the AHL (Btw, we should've done the same with Latendresse). Sending guys down to the AHL isn't a punishment, it just helps them get better or build up some confidence (Price last year)

Stamkos isn't ready for the NHL. TB forced him into a role he isn't ready for. They were so desperate for some talent, they went out and ''baught'' a team that isn't even performing well together and forced Stamkos right in. Some players can handle the pressure and are definately ready right after being drafted, but some aren't and would need some development time in the AHL (Btw, we should've done the same with Latendresse). Sending guys down to the AHL isn't a punishment, it just helps them get better or build up some confidence (Price last year)

The problem is Stamkos couldn't have played in the AHL (nor could have Guillaume at the time, although he's a different case).

Would Stamkos develop anymore in the OHL? It's questionable, sometimes you have to let the kid take their lumps in the NHL because the AHL isn't an option. Look at the early part of Thornton's NHL career, or Vinny's, they went through similar problems.

Also, I don't know that Tampa keeping was desperation for talent as much as they did a massive marketing campaign around him and sending him back to Junior just wasn't feasable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_f...l_draft_choices

2008 Steven Stamkos

2007 Patrick Kane

2006 Erik Johnson

2005 Sydney Crosby

2004 Alexander Ovechkin

2003 Marc Andre Fleury

2002 Rick Nash

2001 Ilya Kovalchuk

2000 Rick Dipietro

1999 Patrik Stefan

1998 Vincent Lecavalier

1997 Joe Thornton

1996 Chris Philips

1995 Brian Berard

1994 Ed Jonavoski

1993 Alexander Daigle

1992 Roman Hamrlik

1991 Eric Lindros

1990 Owen Nolan

1989 Mats Sundin

1988 Mike Modano

1987 Pierre Turgeon

I think it's interesting to see how the level of success varies from year to year. It does seem like there is more success in recent drafts. Some serious failures over the years... Patrick Stefan, Chris Phillips, Daigle...

I would hardly call Phillips a failure. He's no scoring machine but he is a terrific stay at home dman & a staple on the ottawa blue line.

Im not sure that there is "more success" in recent drafts either - historically the first overall pick has always been a good bet. Right now we are basing the assumption that the recent drafts have been better on guys like Crosby & Ovechkin, but the verdict is still out on Johnson & Stamkos.

I don't think Stamkos is doing too badly, he's been 1 point every 2 games or better after his early season nothingness. That's not bad.

What's surprising is that Stamkos got a ton of good coverage. Patrick Kane I remember they were saying was mediocre for a 1st overall pick, and he's doing great and was doing better than stamkos is doing.

I would hardly call Phillips a failure. He's no scoring machine but he is a terrific stay at home dman & a staple on the ottawa blue line.

Im not sure that there is "more success" in recent drafts either - historically the first overall pick has always been a good bet. Right now we are basing the assumption that the recent drafts have been better on guys like Crosby & Ovechkin, but the verdict is still out on Johnson & Stamkos.

I agree about Phillips, and also it was an absolutely horrible draft, maybe the worst in recent memory ('99 was also incredibly bad)

As for Erik Johnson, I think he's basically a sure bet, I suppose you could ask how he will come back from this devastating injury, but the guy threw up 33 points in 69 games as a teenager defenseman, which is awfully impressive. I think he's like a Carey Price type in the sense that right now other teams who don't get to see him enough may say the verdict is still out on him, but Johnson is a can't miss IMO.

1999 was the worst draft year ever. The only notable names in the entire 1st round were the Sedin twins, Taylor Pyatt and Martin Havlat. And only the twins are useful players. Ottawa on the other hand should be ashamed of picking Daigle. They could have had Pronger, Kariya, Koivu, Bertuzzi etc. and that's only a few out of the first round. And Phillips wasn't a bust, the only other notable player in the entire 1st round was Briere, and I'd rather have Phillips (more reliable).

Archived