The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Best Forward In The Nhl To Build A Team Around?

DA_Champion

Some choices:

Malkin, Crosby, Iginla, Ovechkin, Lecavalier, Getzlaf, Kane, Thornton, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Carter, Vanek, Kovalchuk.

It's a tough decision. Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin have been getting comparable amounts of points the past three years, but there is an average of like 1.5 assists per goal and so points gives more weight to playmakers than scorers. I think I'd go with Ovechkin.

On the other hand, Iginla, Thornton and Lecavalier are big guys, and less likely to have their careers destroyed by injury. Pittsburgh would have most likely won the cup last year were it not for Philly damaging Malkin in the playoffs, rendering him ineffective.

Forward: Ovechkin. He brings so much intensity to the game. He can change the game with one big play, be it a big hit or a goal and he can ocasionnaly set up other players.

Honorable mention: Malkin, Crosby, Zetter and Datsyuk.

Defense: Phaneuf. There's not much explaining to do. He hits, he's sound defensively and can produce 50 points per season.

Honorable mention: Lidstrom (only reason I didn't pick him is becasue of his age), Markov

Goalie: I'd have to pick Price. I'm trying not to be a homer here, but among active goalies, were there any better than him at his age? I can't think of one. Also, I don't think he's been achieving to his full potential yet (give 1-2 more years IMO).

Honorable mention: Lundqvist

Upfront it's pretty simple for me, Crosby, I know he's disliked here and he's not as exciting and quirky as Ovechkin is but he's 2 years younger, has a better PPG, he's more responsible, the fact he players center adds a bit of value as opposed to a winger and I also think he will last longer then Ovechkin based on their styles of play, slight age difference and the fact Ovechkin seems to rely more on speed and raw physical ability than Crosby.

To be honest, I think Ovechkin and Malkin is way closer then people realize, I didn't vote for Malkin obviously but he could very well end up being the best, he's almost a cross breed of the 2. He's a much better pure goal scorer then Crosby, a better playmaker then Ovechkin, he's a superb, smooth skater who I've heard older people compare to Beliveau (in terms of size and grace). He's big, strong, he's a center and he absolutely controls the pace of the game when he's on the ice. I think he's dynamic.

On defense, you almost have to go with Dion right now but Weber out in Nashville is charging hard, what a player he's turning into.

In goal it's pretty easy, Price, maybe it's because I see all of his starts that I appreciate him so much, but I think he's head and shoulders the best young goalie in the world right now.

Upfront it's pretty simple for me, Crosby, I know he's disliked here and he's not as exciting and quirky as Ovechkin is but he's 2 years younger, has a better PPG, he's more responsible, the fact he players center adds a bit of value as opposed to a winger and I also think he will last longer then Ovechkin based on their styles of play, slight age difference and the fact Ovechkin seems to rely more on speed and raw physical ability than Crosby.

To be honest, I think Ovechkin and Malkin is way closer then people realize, I didn't vote for Malkin obviously but he could very well end up being the best, he's almost a cross breed of the 2. He's a much better pure goal scorer then Crosby, a better playmaker then Ovechkin, he's a superb, smooth skater who I've heard older people compare to Beliveau (in terms of size and grace). He's big, strong, he's a center and he absolutely controls the pace of the game when he's on the ice. I think he's dynamic.

On defense, you almost have to go with Dion right now but Weber out in Nashville is charging hard, what a player he's turning into.

In goal it's pretty easy, Price, maybe it's because I see all of his starts that I appreciate him so much, but I think he's head and shoulders the best young goalie in the world right now.

agreed. Crosby seems to always make whoever he is playing with look like a superstar simply because he is such a great playmaker. I nearly chose Malkin because he seems ot have the best of both world's in natural scoring ability and good playmaker but I think because of his natural inclination to want to score he can be slightly irresponsible at times. He is certainly a very close second to crosby though.

Agree on all.

Today, on paper, Crosby no contest. In a few years i might change that to Malkin - or even Tavares (if the hype is real) but while all the players on this thread are elite talents, no one brings the same elements to a team that Crosby can/does. He's not only an elite offensive force, he makes the players around him better & he is a leader - maybe even too much of one as the older "vets" were angry when he came onboard in Pittsburg and 'claimed' the team.

I also agree with Phaneuf & Crosby. Im not sold on weber yet (Although he's making a strong case for himself).

Its still mindboggling that Pittsburg has Crosby AND Malkin AND fleury (who would likely be my 2nd choice behind Price to build a team around) lol.

The fact of the matter is, neither Crosby, Ovechkin nor Malkin are wrong answers, but if I had to pick one, it would be Ovechkin, to me, to me, he's just the epitome of hockey right now.

In terms of defense, it's a toss-up between Dion Phaneuf and Mike Green.

For goaltender, I would say either Price or Lundvquist.

Its still mindboggling that Pittsburg has Crosby AND Malkin AND fleury (who would likely be my 2nd choice behind Price to build a team around) lol.

You gotta remember that the Penguins were absolutely TERRIBLE few years ago. Fleury was their first overall pick, the next year they got the second overall pick in Malkin (after Ovechkin) and of course the year after they got Crosby. But I guess that was all worth it, look at them now :P.

You gotta remember that the Penguins were absolutely TERRIBLE few years ago. Fleury was their first overall pick, the next year they got the second overall pick in Malkin (after Ovechkin) and of course the year after they got Crosby. But I guess that was all worth it, look at them now :P.

Oh I know HOW they did it, its just still so amazing that they had that many great picks in a row & ended up with that quality of player. Ottawa had like 5 first - third picks in a row & really only ended up with a couple of franchise players out of the lot.

Oh I know HOW they did it, its just still so amazing that they had that many great picks in a row & ended up with that quality of player. Ottawa had like 5 first - third picks in a row & really only ended up with a couple of franchise players out of the lot.

Can you imagine if Pittsburgh had gotten Ovechkin, or Washington had gotten Crosby?

Actually, Montreal had a chance at Crosby when we got Price, which was very satisfactory as we moved from 8th to 5th in the lottery, if i recall correctly.

Can you imagine if Pittsburgh had gotten Ovechkin, or Washington had gotten Crosby?

Actually, Montreal had a chance at Crosby when we got Price, which was very satisfactory as we moved from 8th to 5th in the lottery, if i recall correctly.

I thought we were more middle of the pack (something like 15) and ended up with the #5 pick. I might be wrong though.

I thought we were more middle of the pack (something like 15) and ended up with the #5 pick. I might be wrong though.

This is correct. Had we drafted the lockout year, we would have been middle of the pack. Because of the lockout they did a lottery & I believe weighed the draw on your previous 3 seasons or something? So we had roughly mid-pack odds. To finish top 5 was ridiculously good. Although considering price was not projected to go until around #10 at the highest, we might have still been able to get him with a mid-level pick. Toronto was rumored to be interested though, so its tough to say.

This is correct. Had we drafted the lockout year, we would have been middle of the pack. Because of the lockout they did a lottery & I believe weighed the draw on your previous 3 seasons or something? So we had roughly mid-pack odds. To finish top 5 was ridiculously good. Although considering price was not projected to go until around #10 at the highest, we might have still been able to get him with a mid-level pick. Toronto was rumored to be interested though, so its tough to say.

Price was projected to go 10-14 overall. It was fluky we got a 5th overall pick.

I think the wording of this actually makes it an easier question than "who is the best forward", as it'd be harder for me to choose.

I believe the best choice to build a team around would be Crosby, however Malkin is a very close second. As we see every year, a strong playmaker can make scorers out of almost nobody; Crosby is --without a shadow of a doubt-- this kind of player. He will make everyone around him better, regardless of the situation.

In the case of a guy like Ovechkin, he can certainly do it all himself, but that is not they way winning teams are built. I like the guy a whole heck of a lot, but in terms of building a team, I'll take a guy who will only be a 30-goal scorer but who can turn a couple average scorers into well above-average scorers over one guy who can put up 60. Ovechkin might be the best single player in the NHL, but I think Crosby is the choice to make in building a team from the bottom up.

The thing is though, as roy_133 mentions above, Malkin is very much a hybrid between both Crosby and Ovechkin. As odd as it may seem, it is tougher to judge with him being a 'foreign' prospect, as it potentially weighs in on his potential leadership abilities, but of the three I think his skating is the best (not necessarily in terms of speed, but he is so smooth and so confident).

So who's the best player? It's a real tough debate between the three. But who is the best to build a team around? Right now, I believe it's Crosby.

I think we might have even been slotted to be between 18-21, potentially lower!

My choice as a forward would be Ovechkin. I thought about Malkin but his face-off skills are absolutely disgusting. As a d-man I would Shea Weber. During summer when he still was a RFA I wanted Gainey to make a trade for him. I really think he's as good as Phaneuf or even better but he plays in Nashville where he doesn't get the recognition Phaneuf gets in Calgary.

Archived