The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ot - Hockey Player On Life Support Following Fight

pitbull12

It was bound to happen eventually. It's just too bad it happened to a Senior league player who attends York university and porbably doesn't have any sort of a future in hockey. Well, he might not have any future now. Which is sad. :unsure:

I just got finished reading this story...This is horrible, there's no other way to put it...If anything this should remind us all that hockey is indeed just a game and not meant to be life or death as we dramatize it to be. My thoughts are with his family, his teammates and any others who care about this young man...21 and on life support...Don Sanderson...I'm rooting for you buddy...Please, win this fight.

When people get into fights they know what the risk is. Its like driving a motorcycle or getting on a plane. You know theres a huge risk, albeit a small one, but a huge risk nevertheless.

so do you blame the player or blame the system?

After hearing of this type of injury I can't help but squirm and shudder during a fight between two rational adult men. I fully understand why players fight but I also think it is a tad bit ridiculous.

so do you blame the player or blame the system?

After hearing of this type of injury I can't help but squirm and shudder during a fight between two rational adult men. I fully understand why players fight but I also think it is a tad bit ridiculous.

I blame the player, like you said its ridiculous.

I know its part of the game, but theres no actual logic to it.

How can you blame the player when you don't even know if it was his intention to fight? Maybe it was his coaches intention that the player fight and the player was just following orders.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, the player knows the risk beforehand.

If he didn't want to risk it, tell his coach he won't fight.

Thats his problem then if all hes useful for then is to fight.

I may be sounding harsh but its a cruel reality.

It is pretty harsh...If we went by your logic: Players should refuse to block shots because they could get hurt and if you're stupid enough to block a shot you deserve whatever's coming to you because you brought it on to yourself...

It is pretty harsh...If we went by your logic: Players should refuse to block shots because they could get hurt and if you're stupid enough to block a shot you deserve whatever's coming to you because you brought it on to yourself...

I never said he shouldn't fight, I said he knows the risk going in and if he made the decision, live with the consequences.

Yes but you said he has the right to refuse to obey the coaches orders...When have you ever hear of a guy saying no to a coach at ANY level and lasting on that team?

Well if they get kicked off, its part of the consequence if they really are THAT worried about the risk of fighting.

If they are a skilled player or are good defensively, then that shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

• 2 weeks later...

during the US-Slovakia game on TSN, they mentioned the situation during the first intermission...

Bob McKenzie spoke of the last player to previously die from an on-ice incident and I found some more info about that incident...

in Game Four of the 1972 Centennial Cup (now the Royal Bank Cup) final, the Canadian Junior A Championship, Guelph CMC (not the Platters as BM said) forward Paul Fendley lost his helmet after a routine check while killing a penalty... he spun around, fell, and hit his head on the ice... he was taken unconscious to hospital where he passed away three days later...

Guelph went on to win the game to sweep the championship final series... among Fendley's teammates were future Habs Doug Risebrough and John Van Boxmeer...

A very unfortunate result from the idiocy that is the hockey fight.

Hopefully this starts a movement to remove this retarded aspect from the game, and the minimum from the junior and amateur levels.

You know this does re-open the discussion: "Does fighting still belong in the game?" At this point I'd have to say no...Say what you will, but it's not worth it.

Archived