The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Patrick Kane Underrated?

DA_Champion

When people talk about the best offensive players in the game, it seems they typically say "Crosby Iginla Malkin Ovechkin" or something like that, also often Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk and a few others. I don't ever see Patrick Kane in a shortlist of best ever NHL players, except in some recent personal attacks by Alex Semin against Sidney Crosby.

Why not?

Also, when he was drafted 1st overall, the media seemed to describe him as the best available in a weak draft, compare that to other recent 1st overalls such as Stamkos, Crosby...

And last year in his rookie season, people were saying he had better stats but Toews would have better career.

Facts:

1) He had 72 points in 82 games in his rookie campaign.

2) In his second year he has 39 points in 31 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4240/c...LPB.fQp5DtivLYF

Looking at recent forward position Calder winners, Evgeni Malkin had more points (but he was 1 year older and got ice time with Crosby), Ovechkin had more points but was also a year older, Heatly had fewer points, Gomez had less, Drury had less, Samsonov (*****?) had less, Alfreddson had less, Forsberg had 50 points in 47 games, Selanne had the best season of his career with 132 points in his rookie season, and pavel bure had 60 points in 65 games.

So overall, Kane is clearly in the top half of this group and those who did better than him tended to have more experience. He's also showing durability and he is improving a lot in his second season.

Seems to me he should be thought of as being in the elite handful of forwards.

Very good point, which is strange seeing as he does get a lot of hype, its mianly due to the fact that he doesn't make the highlight reel, but he is a producer.

Out of Chicago's 114 goals, Kane has produced 14 of them (Goals Created formula), which means he accounts for about 1/10th of their total offense, while it is nothing to sneeze at, its actually fabulous production, it goes to show how deep Chicago is in scoring.

However he doesn't get nearly as much ice time as other "superstars", he averages 15:03 of EV ice time per game and around 4 min of PP time (no Pk).

So his adjusted point totals round out to 102, which makes you wonder what he could do if given the 20-21 minutes per game as other stars. Thing is Chicago has had a great offense this year and its due to a balanced attack, people make such a big deal about Kane-Towes, but its been Patrick Sharp whose been their 2nd best contributor. Toews, the big surprise in Versteeg, Havlat, Brain Campbell and others have taken the load off of Patrick.

His rookie year he saw around 18:22 min of ice time, but that was expected of a rookie even a breakthrough one.

I agree Kane is somewhat underated. But he won the calder trophy last season and he is about to enter the alls stars game on the starting line-up (and he deserves too). Wich is a form of recognition.

Part of the reason why we don't talk about him in here, is because he plays in the western conference. I never saw him play! I know he is good because of his stats, but that's it! I will probably watch the outdoor game and it would be the first time I see him play.

Did you notice that all the players you named for the best player in the league were in the estearn conference? We don't talk about Kane, but we don't talk about Thorton (we used too when he was in our conference!), Iginla, Zetterberg and others in the west. Those are goods players (they are among the best in the league!).

Plus it's only his second season. But I still think the main reason, is because he is not in our conference.

Sportsfreak 39,

Kane has 16 goals and 23 assist, so how is it that he is only responsible for 14 goals?

Its not what you think, he "created" 14 goals which is actually great production. Goals created is a formula wheere you award .5 for a goal, .3 for th 1st assist, and .2 for the 2nd assist. On 1 assist goals you award .7 for the goal and .3 for the assist, on unassisted you award 1 for the goal.

Its a way to determine around how many of the goalsmyou actually created, because the 2 assists phenomenon makes it hard to judge at times.

Its not what you think, he "created" 14 goals which is actually great production. Goals created is a formula wheere you award .5 for a goal, .3 for th 1st assist, and .2 for the 2nd assist. On 1 assist goals you award .7 for the goal and .3 for the assist, on unassisted you award 1 for the goal.

Its a way to determine around how many of the goalsmyou actually created, because the 2 assists phenomenon makes it hard to judge at times.

Where do you look up these esoteric stats?

Where do you look up these esoteric stats?

The whole Chicago Black Hawks team is underrated, and will put on a great show Jan. 1 vs. Detroit at Wrigley Field. BTW, the Hawks are right behind Detroit in that division.

I sure hope so! I list the Habs as my only favorite, but the truth is, the Hawks are my favorite in the West, and the only other Original 6 team I like. I've gotten to watch more of them over the years than any other NHL team.

The whole Chicago Black Hawks team is underrated, and will put on a great show Jan. 1 vs. Detroit at Wrigley Field. BTW, the Hawks are right behind Detroit in that division.

I would agree with every bit of that statement...IF I wasn't such a devout Habs fan, I'd cheer the Hawks too...But all my french catholic uncles would disown me if I cheered for any other team but the Habs ;)

Archived