The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs In Paris For 2010-2011 Opener??

pagos86

According to Canada.com, the Montreal Canadiens have discussed with hockey officials in France about playing a game there in the next two seasons, most likely in the 2010-2011 season. Donald Beauchamp, vice-president of communications with the Canadiens, confirmed that director-general of the Federation de Francaise Hockey sur Glace Eric Ropert met with team president Pierre Boivin in Montreal in September. The schedule is at the discretion of the NHL, but a game in Paris is possible in two years

Link

Holy crap, I would fly there in a second to catch a game in Paris!

that's kinda cool i guess. i would also go there lol. Kind of cooler i find when its one of the countries were at least one player comes from, but its a little cheaper and faster to fly around europe from country to country so i guess there might be some out of towners who would come to watch their fellow countrymen. Any idea on who we might play against? or will it be against some team from France/europe?

It just better not be a regular season home game

If they were smart, they'd send Boston or Buffalo there and make us each give up a home game.

However both teams have to agree to going, and in turn giving up a home game, so if the Habs really don't want to give it up they won't.

Saying no to the NHL for that though may be a bad move if we want an outdoor gam though....

This sounds interesting. I imagine most of the people in attendance will be hockey fans from other countries. Paris jyst doesn;t strike me as a 'hockey town.' I wonder, if you buy a set of season's tickets will you be offered seats first or will you simply pay for a package less the game over seas? But anyway, I can think of about 100 things I would rather do in Paris than watch a hockey game. But then again, I am North American.

If they were smart, they'd send Boston or Buffalo there and make us each give up a home game.

However both teams have to agree to going, and in turn giving up a home game, so if the Habs really don't want to give it up they won't.

Saying no to the NHL for that though may be a bad move if we want an outdoor gam though....

whichever teams go will play a home-and-home to make it fair...

I don't think the Habs have much say in whether they go or not:

CBA ARTICLE 24

INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY GAMES

24.1 (a) The NHL/NHLPA International Committee ("International Committee")

shall be entitled to plan, schedule, and conduct International Hockey Games each season.

Unless the International Committee authorizes other dates, International Hockey Games

may be scheduled between the start of Training Camp and the following February 15.

The Players and/or Clubs selected by the International Committee shall be obliged to

participate in said games.

24.2 The International Committee shall consist of the Commissioner or his designee

and the Chief Legal Officer of the NHL together with the Executive Director or his

designee and the Senior Director, Business Affairs and Licensing of the NHLPA. A

quorum shall consist of one representative from the NHL and one representative from the

NHLPA.

no guarantee anyone on the committee will argue the Habs position...

I don't mind about overseas games, but the NHL will never expend to europe, i don't believe for a minute that the NHLPA will allow these crazy 6,7,8,9 hours flight back and forth, they'll never agree to do such a thing unless they lost their minds, just expend in smaller markets in Canada especially now with the way they spread the revenues, it would help these markets a lot.

This marketing thing in Europe is kind of fun (dont know how much it actually gains goodwill other then in a very selective few countrys) but then you really have to focus on the markets!! France ??? I know the conection but my o my....hahaha this sounds like the most unthought thing this organization have done. For fun, for heritage sure, to promote Canadiens in Europe...nope! More enlarge the gap towards the real hockey markets in Europe.

Wow.. this would be awesome!!! Paris is only about a 4 hour drive away from where I live in the Netherlands. I will go for sure.
knowing how the Dutch feel about Canada and Canadians, I'm surprised they haven't fully embraced the most iconic thing about Canada, hockey...

we love the tulips and all, but I'd also love to see those great orange jerseys on an ice rink and not just on the soccer pitch :D

Archived