The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cherepanov Was Blood Doping

MOSCOW - Blood and urine samples show hockey star Alexei Cherepanov engaged in blood doping, Russian investigators said in a statement Monday.

Cherepanov, 19, collapsed Oct. 13 while on the bench for Omsk club Avangard in Russia's Continental Hockey League, known as the KHL. The player, a top prospect for the NHL's New York Rangers, died shortly afterwards.

Russia's federal Investigative Committee said a chemical analysis of the samples allowed experts to conclude "that for several months Alexei Cherepanov engaged in blood doping." There was no elaboration, and a spokeswoman at the committee refused to comment further.

The statement also said Cherepanov in his final year suffered from myocarditis, a condition where not enough blood gets to the heart, and should not have been playing professional hockey.

The club's medical team might carry legal liability in the episode, the statement added.

A row of gross violations was committed by the medical brigade helping A. Cherepanov, the statement said. Among them, doctors arrived on the scene a full 12 minutes after Cherepanov collapsed, and the battery on the defibrillator to attempt shock Cherepanov's heart back into life was drained, the statement said.

Prosecutors earlier this month accused the club's director of negligence. Mikhail Denisov has since been fired, and Monday's statement did not mention him.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=261215&lid...=headlines_main

-----------------------------------------

This may explain the heart results throughout the KHL. Something BAD is going on in Russia, and I have the feeling this was just a tasteful. The desire to be a great hockey player and mak it to the NHL may be much worse than it is here, since we are a more economically stable country.

Investigations into illegal drug-dealings should be done immediately, it looks like the dark cloud over MLB didn't vanish, it just went to the other side of the world. Welcome to a decade of steroid investigations in Russia, and in terms of the KHL, who knows how this will affect them. The publicity may mean a great thing world-wide or it inject fear into players due to the apparent pressure there to win.

MOSCOW - Blood and urine samples show hockey star Alexei Cherepanov engaged in blood doping, Russian investigators said in a statement Monday.

Cherepanov, 19, collapsed Oct. 13 while on the bench for Omsk club Avangard in Russia's Continental Hockey League, known as the KHL. The player, a top prospect for the NHL's New York Rangers, died shortly afterwards.

Russia's federal Investigative Committee said a chemical analysis of the samples allowed experts to conclude "that for several months Alexei Cherepanov engaged in blood doping." There was no elaboration, and a spokeswoman at the committee refused to comment further.

The statement also said Cherepanov in his final year suffered from myocarditis, a condition where not enough blood gets to the heart, and should not have been playing professional hockey.

The club's medical team might carry legal liability in the episode, the statement added.

A row of gross violations was committed by the medical brigade helping A. Cherepanov, the statement said. Among them, doctors arrived on the scene a full 12 minutes after Cherepanov collapsed, and the battery on the defibrillator to attempt shock Cherepanov's heart back into life was drained, the statement said.

Prosecutors earlier this month accused the club's director of negligence. Mikhail Denisov has since been fired, and Monday's statement did not mention him.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=261215&lid...=headlines_main

-----------------------------------------

This may explain the heart results throughout the KHL. Something BAD is going on in Russia, and I have the feeling this was just a tasteful. The desire to be a great hockey player and mak it to the NHL may be much worse than it is here, since we are a more economically stable country.

Investigations into illegal drug-dealings should be done immediately, it looks like the dark cloud over MLB didn't vanish, it just went to the other side of the world. Welcome to a decade of steroid investigations in Russia, and in terms of the KHL, who knows how this will affect them. The publicity may mean a great thing world-wide or it inject fear into players due to the apparent pressure there to win.

This is unfortunate...However this is the price tag of fame and fortune.

first, maybe this thread should be merged with the existing Cherepanov thread...

'blood doping' has nothing to do with steroids... it's a completely different animal...

and Russia is already very familiar with blood doping through their cycling and cross-country skiing/biathlon athletes...

anabolic steroids and blood doping drugs, like EPO, do have legitimate medical uses but performance-enhancement in sports isn't one of them...

two of the main areas of performance-enhancement in sports:

strength -- achieved with anabolic steroids, which help build muscle mass

endurance -- achieved with blood doping, which increases the number of oxygen-carrying red blood cells

NHL players reputedly also have 'aids' to help with endurance, I believe over-the-counter cold remedies/decongestants are common, which caused an issue for the NHL players' participation in the Olympics because of the WADA banned substance list...

the danger with blood doping is it can turn your blood into 'sludge' which will pretty much kill you... for a while there, young, otherwise very fit, cyclists were dropping dead in their sleep at an alarming rate...

I knew it!!! it was so predictable, how can a 19 year old have heart problems and be able to play hockey?

Somehow I doubt you knew it. I don't remember anyone ever predicting in his old thread that a possible cause was "blood doping". If you have a post that said you thought blood doping was the cause, then sorry guess you did know it.

I knew it!!! it was so predictable, how can a 19 year old have heart problems and be able to play hockey?
predictable, huh? so, when Windsor Spitfires captain Mickey Renaud died of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in February, you also knew it was from blood doping too? except Renaud wasn't blood doping...

Okay, weird, TSN just changed the story to say he was taking performance enhancing drugs and removed all references to blood doping?
hmmm, the only notable changes I could see are they changed "engaged in blood doping" to "took performance-enhancing drugs" and took the word "blood" out of "engaged in blood doping"... perhaps the wire service reporter made too many assumptions in the original write-up? especially considering the spokeswoman refused to specify the drugs Cherepanov allegedly took...

but if it was a PED situation, blood doping is far more likely to kill quickly and unexpectedly than steroid abuse...

'blood doping' has nothing to do with steroids... it's a completely different animal...

and Russia is already very familiar with blood doping through their cycling and cross-country skiing/biathlon athletes...

Wayne, I always assumed they were one and the same.

Could you explain the difference to me and maybe some others on the Forum that do not know the difference?

Thanks! :D

Young people in good shape don't die from heart problems, steroids, blood doping may cause heart problems.
of course they do! as I just pointed out, Mickey Renaud is a prime example... hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is genetic, is a prime cause of death for young athletes who have never taken PEDs...

using PEDs can certainly cause serious health issues, but not all serious health issues among young athletes are caused by PEDS... to claim so is grossly unfair to them...

Okay is anyone surprise?
surprised? no... because when a young athlete dies, it's almost always going to be one of three causes: 1) genetic; 2) complications from abuse of PEDs; or 3) catrostrophic failure of the body due to extreme stress, e.g. over-exertion in extreme heat, failure to re-hydrate, over-hydration, etc...

it wasn't going to be #3 in this case, so it was 50/50 for the other two possibilities...

re: EPO and blood doping in general in pro cycling, the book "From Lance to Landis" is a good read. I haven't been able to get those two professional American cyclists to sign my copy as yet. :lol:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display...0345499622.html

Armstrong has been threatening to sue this author for maybe a decade now, as Walsh has been on his case foever. Lance has still to get around to it. :huh::unsure::lol:

Archived