The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Winter Classic In Montreal?

habsolute-pp1

I really hope to see this in Montreal in the near future, a nice Habs / Leafs or Bruins matchup would be amazing and imagine the tickets they'd sell? I've heard rumors that there has been talk of this but nothing I can confirm.... What do you guys think, will it ever happen?

Ok,i happen to catch on of the hockey panels discussing that exact question yesterday,may have been on sportsnet.

Anyway,they seem to think that at this time,it may be the hockey markets that are not thriving too good.

They said in montreal for example,we have no issues with promoting our team,that we have sellouts at all the games,etc.

You can see were i'm going with this eh?

They think places like Minnesota may be the one's the NHL may want to showcase.

But hell,what do they know :lol:

Love to see our habs put one on for sure. Let's keep our fingers crossed for one.

Go habssssssss.

I really hope to see this in Montreal in the near future, a nice Habs / Leafs or Bruins matchup would be amazing and imagine the tickets they'd sell? I've heard rumors that there has been talk of this but nothing I can confirm.... What do you guys think, will it ever happen?

They'll only come to canada once they exhaust all their american cold-weather hockey markets. Even then I can see them repeating some teams before they would come north of the border. It is ridiculous but I understand why they would do it. An outdoor game between Toronto and Montreal sure would be sweet though.

Oh and the fact that Montreal already participated in an outdoor game I can see Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver getting to play an NHL game outdoors before the Habs do.

Pierre Boivin is already working on it as a part of the 100 years celebration for the team, he wants the game to be at the Olympic Stadium (without the roof, because they're changing the roof again later on this year and he wants to do it when the roof will be off) on December 9 2009.

From what i understand they're still in talks with the NHL, but something special is definitely going to happen this year, no matter what it is.

Pierre Boivin is already working on it as a part of the 100 years celebration for the team, he wants the game to be at the Olympic Stadium (without the roof, because they're changing the roof again later on this year and he wants to do it when the roof will be off) on December 9 2009.

From what i understand they're still in talks with the NHL, but something special is definitely going to happen this year, no matter what it is.

Alright Pierre,we'll all behind you on this,good luck,hope it becomes reality. :D

The Spring Classic has been the only something special on my mind, since the Broad Street Bullies KO'ed us last year. When we have our Winter Classic, I'll fly down to watch it. Toronto would probably like to have their own game. If we don't play Vancouver for the Stanley Cup this year, they would be a good opponent that hasn't the weather to make a Winter Classic possible.My best to Mr. Boivin, cheering you on.

Well it's possible because of the 100th year Fenway and New Yankee Stadium should definitely take priority IMO, those venues alone would help increase ratings.

How about Habs ***** at Fenway Park next season?

Well it's possible because of the 100th year Fenway and New Yankee Stadium should definitely take priority IMO, those venues alone would help increase ratings.

Or maybe even the Pats stadium in Foxboro?

Edit: Maybe forget the Foboro thing. If it's on Jan 1st, chances are the PAts would still be playing...If it's later in the year, it would be a possibility though.

Or maybe even the Pats stadium in Foxboro?

Edit: Maybe forget the Foboro thing. If it's on Jan 1st, chances are the PAts would still be playing...If it's later in the year, it would be a possibility though.

It's possible, I read they perfer baseball parks because it's easier to do for some reason (and like you said, the fact some NFL teams may still be playing).

I just think Fenway, like Wrigley, has a ton of built in stories because of the history of it and how loved and respected it is. Also the Green Monster would be kind of cool.

i would be very very very surprised if this did not happen for the next one...with the habs 100 year anniversary going down for the next 1 year it would be border line criminal not to have it...i wouldnt be surprised if they did one with montreal-new york at yankee either...but the montreal-bruin rivalry has just been one thats been building up again for years now...i dont think itll go anywhere other than yankee or fenway because we all know how much more important it is for them to hold these events in america <_< ... besides canada already had its shot for the decade, edmonton remember :rolleyes: ... maybe montreal in 2012 or something :rolleyes:

i would be very very very surprised if this did not happen for the next one...with the habs 100 year anniversary going down for the next 1 year it would be border line criminal not to have it...i wouldnt be surprised if they did one with montreal-new york at yankee either...but the montreal-bruin rivalry has just been one thats been building up again for years now...i dont think itll go anywhere other than yankee or fenway because we all know how much more important it is for them to hold these events in america <_< ... besides canada already had its shot for the decade, edmonton remember :rolleyes: ... maybe montreal in 2012 or something :rolleyes:

Well I'd like to see it in Canada at some point again there definitely isn't a Fenway or Yankee Stadium to hold it in so I can understand why the NHL would rather hold it in a place like that. These venues provide a story line of their own.

I am glad that Montreal played in the first Winter game in Edmonton. I am also glad that Montreal won the game. However I would rather not see Montreal in another Winter Classic for several more years. Montreal sells out every game at the best hockey venue in the WORLD.

From what I could tell from yesterday's game the 40,000 fans had a terrible view of the game from the baseball stands. I am also worried that a player could get seriously injuried as the ice is not very good for these outside games. Why not have the Vancouver Canucks play an outside game a few weeks before the 2010 Olympics or have the richest team in the NHL (the Laffs) play in a Winter Classic.

My vote would be to not have a Winter Classic in Montreal.

Seeing how the first classic was 2 canadiens teams, then followed by 2 american teams then followed by 2 original six teams, my choice for the next game would be The Leafs Vs. NYR. This would add history and the whole Canada Vs US rivalry so many like.

Also, when the classic happened last year, the president of the Suckers aka Phlyers, talked about having a classic game played between them and the Pens at Beaver Stadium at Penn State U, which holds 107,000 people. I dont know if that would ever happen, but let me tell you that if it did, they would have to up security.

I would like to see an outdoor game at the Percival Molson Stadium against one of the original 6 teams especially Toronto, Boston or New York Rangers

The problem is that its pretty much the same size as the bell center

when is the league gonna get the panthers involved and set up a winter classic down in Miami?lol

like there is only so far this thing can go

the kings did play a pre-season game outdoors in vages a while ago

Archived