The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Iihf Pres. Wants World Juniors In Canada Permanent

Not sure if this should go in the existign World Juniors thread or if its more deserving but nevertheless:

from Ken Campbell of the Hockey News,

There is a movement afoot to have the World Junior Championship in Canada permanently and you might be surprised by who is in favor and who is against it happening.

On the side in favor is International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel, who reasons that Canadian crowds generate enormous revenues and make it a once-in-a-lifetime experience. On the other side is Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson, who is clearly wary of killing a golden goose by giving Canada too much of a good thing.

“I think there is a good chance (of moving the WJC to Canada permanently),” Fasel said. “Bob is not an easy guy to negotiate with, but if he wants to have the tournament here every year then we have to find a way to make it work for the other federations.”

I think it's an interesting idea. I've read snippets of interviews with players from the other junior teams and they're amazed when they come to Canada; most say they've only ever played in front of 5,000-10,000 people and are awed by the big crowds. It'd be tough getting all the national directors to sign on, but it seems to only be held in a handful of countries anyways.

Sounds good.

I think where Fasel gets his mouth watering is not with the Team Canada games, those are guaranteed SELL OUTS, or at least the Highest Revenue Games during the tournament...but all the other games. For instance, a Slovakia - Germany game, would only create HUGE revenue, if the WJC was being held in one of those host countries arenas. Now let's say if it was Slovakia - Germany, again, and the WJC took place in Sweden...I doubt you'd be getting large crowds to see that kinda game, because well...no one reeeeallly wants to see that. ;)

The way this year's organizers with the scheduling of games was pretty smart. They had before a Team Canada game, another game with two other countries, regardless who, and it had a decent crowd...why? Because the majority of that crowd was going to see the Team Canada game after the "other two country game" was finished being played.

Ticket holders thought..."Well I'm going to be here for 3-4 hours already, why not pay a little more to see another game before my real game, and have a full day of hockey?"

Anyways...I think Canada should get the WJC at least every second year. Let the fans over here starve for some Junior Hockey action for one year, and then get it the next.

I dont know if they should do this. It would be like having the world series in Yankee stadium every year, no matter who was playing. Or the Olympics in Greece. While its great to play in front of bigger crowds, this shows its all about money and not competition. Maybe the other countries players would like a chance to play in front of their home country crowd. For team Canada, it would always be a home game which really wouldnt be fair.

This isnt really thought through. It would kill the rest of the interest that is in Euorope in a few years. To many things that isnt trusted already (fair play among one) and the hours is not in sync with Europe either wich naturally generates lesser publicity and viewers. Its better that it goes arround to different countrys like today. All have a chance for an upswing in interset and make the hockey community richer in many ways (not money obviously). It could be a real dissaster and turn into some Na games in junior hockey faster then they can say ca shing! ;)

I'm not too sure how much I like this. I'm a big proponent of fairness and it certainly doesn't seem fair to require 8 of the ten teams to fly half way across the world every year simply because they make boat loads of money in Canada. On the other hand, if they are devoting a very large chunk of this extra cash they will be making to smaller countries such as Kazakhstan to help develop their hockey program to make them more competetive then I suppose I don't have a problem with it. But seeing as I am very cynical towards all business involving large quanities of money, I somehow doubt that the extra money will help out these countries too much.

Of course the underlying thread is sort of dour: only Canadians really care about the WJHC <_< .

As others have said (including Nicholson), not sure how Canada permanently hosting helps that change :huh: .

See thats partly why I don't like this tournament, besides the fact the structure is bad, most countries don't even know its going on besides us and Russia. If we win, whoopie who cares we're supposed to win, if we lose, well nobody but us is going to be talking about it for the next month.

I would much prefer a province vs province type of tournament or a more expanded Memorial Cup, because the World Juniors doesn't bring much to the table.

See thats partly why I don't like this tournament, besides the fact the structure is bad, most countries don't even know its going on besides us and Russia. If we win, whoopie who cares we're supposed to win, if we lose, well nobody but us is going to be talking about it for the next month.

I would much prefer a province vs province type of tournament or a more expanded Memorial Cup, because the World Juniors doesn't bring much to the table.

Feel free to watch the U-17 tournaments.

And yet if I like and enjoy it, and other Canadians like it and enjoy, it can be "good enough".

I like and enjoy (for example) soccer just about as much as hockey. As a spectator sport, Canadians (other than those with some Euro/South American/other heritage) generally couldn't care. But I still enjoy it.

Canadians are passionate about our hockey and even about our junior hockey. It is part of what will continue to keep Canada at the top of the sport. If others don't like it as much, well, their loss, I guess. I'm not going to sweat it.

Inter-provincial would lose 90%+ of the non-sport-specific passion. I mean, how do you get a hate on for an Albertan, or a B.C'er :blink: ? :lol:

I disagree with this idea completely. It's called the, "WORLD Juniors," and for Canada to host it every year (despite those wonderous revenues that the average fan could care less about) would be an enormous slight to other great hockey countries like Russia, Finland, Sweden, and the U.S.A. What I would be in favour of, is perhaps a format that allows the winner to host the tournament the next season. That way the defenders can defend on home territory. Which is something, areguably, they have earned by winning the tournament the previous year. This gives Canada an opportunity to host the tournament regularly, but doesn't imply favourtism that the tournament doesn't need. :mellow:

And yet if I like and enjoy it, and other Canadians like it and enjoy, it can be "good enough".

I like and enjoy (for example) soccer just about as much as hockey. As a spectator sport, Canadians (other than those with some Euro/South American/other heritage) generally couldn't care. But I still enjoy it.

Canadians are passionate about our hockey and even about our junior hockey. It is part of what will continue to keep Canada at the top of the sport. If others don't like it as much, well, their loss, I guess. I'm not going to sweat it.

Inter-provincial would lose 90%+ of the non-sport-specific passion. I mean, how do you get a hate on for an Albertan, or a B.C'er :blink: ? :lol:

I enjoy a lot of sports, which is why I see the show NCAA puts on every year in football, baseball and basketball where they're always playing American schools and the competetion level is high and the spectator part very enjoyable and what FIFA's U-18 brings to the table and frankly the World Juniors aren't close.

You never played inter-provincal hockey did you :D I can't tell you how many times when I'd go to Ontario we'd get cursed out, and whatnot, I'm sure it would create much more interest in the inner-roots of Canada and be much more draft-friendly in terms of prospect spotlight.

I dont know if they should do this. It would be like having the world series in Yankee stadium every year, no matter who was playing. Or the Olympics in Greece. While its great to play in front of bigger crowds, this shows its all about money and not competition. Maybe the other countries players would like a chance to play in front of their home country crowd. For team Canada, it would always be a home game which really wouldnt be fair.

I would have to say that i agree ,it's the WORLD JUNIORS, not the canadien juniors.

As much as i love this tornment,and a canadien,still do not think it would be appropiate in a sense

to have it in our back yard year in & year out. ;)

I enjoy a lot of sports, which is why I see the show NCAA puts on every year in football, baseball and basketball where they're always playing American schools and the competetion level is high and the spectator part very enjoyable and what FIFA's U-18 brings to the table and frankly the World Juniors aren't close.

You never played inter-provincal hockey did you :D I can't tell you how many times when I'd go to Ontario we'd get cursed out, and whatnot, I'm sure it would create much more interest in the inner-roots of Canada and be much more draft-friendly in terms of prospect spotlight.

None of us ever say we are "Ontarions"(sp?) or "Albertans" re: much anything, never mind hockey. We say we are Canadians. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Of course they see the dollar signs but will it sell out this big next year? Frankly I'd rather have the WORLD Juniors go around the WORLD. A new location every year so long as that nation is participating. If they want the same dollars to come in, they'll just have to work harder at promoting it in other countries. It's silly...

Besides, the Team Canada supporters have a tendency to follow them no matter where they play, so they're guaranteed some revenue right there ;D

Archived