1. 1. My predictions:

• Easy win for the Habs
    • Difficult win for the Habs
    • Difficult win for the Rangers
    • Easy win for the Rangers

Wednesday January 7th 2009, 7PM

@ the Madison Square Garden

madison-square-garden_2.jpg

Montreal-Canadiens-2005---Logo-Puck-Photograph-C12187998.jpegVS AABR026~New-York-Rangers-Team-Logo-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Stats:

Canadiens, 4th in the Eastern Conference: 22 - 10 - 6. Away: 10 - 6 - 2. Last 10: 6 - 3 - 1

Rangers, 3rd in the Eastern Conference: 24 - 14 - 3. At Home: 13 - 7 - 2. Last 10: 5 - 4 - 1.

Last Game: December 4th 2008 @ Bell Center, Habs won 6-2, goals scored by Andrei Kostitsyn, Steve Begin, Alex Tanguay, Maxim Lapierre, Robert Lang and Matt D'Agostini (Montreal); Markus Näslund and Nigel Dawes (NY Rangers).

Historical stats: GP 624, Habs wins 337, Rangers wins 208, Ties: 96. Habs scored 2197 times, Rangers 1716. Regular season: GP 593, 314 Habs wins, 183 Rangers win, 94 ties. Habs scored 2009 times, Rangers 1548. Away the Habs won 134 times (15 in PO), lost 133 (13 in PO) and tied 54.

Projected Goaltenders (by feeling ;) ):

Marc Denis, at his 1st match from the beginning in 2008-2009 (4 - 1 - 1 vs the Rangers in career).

7dccc8c5fa9b342aa18e4aab0a68bd2b-getty-83373723bb025_montreal_cana.jpg

Henrik Lundqvist, 20 - 11- 3, SV % 0.911, GAA 2,59. (7 - 3 - 1 vs the Habs in career).

article_13460_2.jpg

Key players:

Alexei Kovalev (38 GP, 9 G, 19 A, 28 P)

610x.jpg

Nikolai Zherdev (41 GP, 12 G, 23 A, 35 P)

610x.jpg

Habs Lineup:

Hamrlik - Gorges
Brisebois - Bouillon
Markov - Komisarek

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn - Lang - S. Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopoulos
Begin - Chipchura - D'Agostini

Swiss rookie D Yannick Weber could play as a forward for his 1st game in the NHL.
8474134.jpg

Injured players: Tanguay, Dandenault, Higgins, Koivu, Laraque, Price

GO HABS GO!!!

nice game day thread! well done.

gonna say........habs5-4 in a shoot-out.

congrats to P.K.Subban, and the rest of our victorious world champion jr. team !!!!!

pp goes on a tear to-night??? (hope so)

but i won't be holding my breath, or anything silly like that!!

LETS GO HABS........ (ps. i'd like to see Weber get a start to-night as well)

According to HabsInsideOut, Halak is supposed to be the starter.

Not sure what to make of that. I'd have problems starting Halak after his last couple of outings. 4.5 gaa in his last 2 games isn't a healthy stat, although he's not that bad overall for the season. I sure hope Halak has as much confidence in himself as Carbs seems to have in him; the Rangers will probably be pretty pumped after knocking off the Kid and the Pens 4-0.

I'm still waiting for a full 60 minute effort. Tomorrow night would be a good time for it. So would Thursday for that matter. Or, if it's not asking too much, maybe both nights?!?

Either way, can't wait. GO HABS GO!

I'm still waiting for a full 60 minute effort. Tomorrow night would be a good time for it. So would Thursday for that matter. Or, if it's not asking too much, maybe both nights?!?

still waiting?

there are been a few games that they give 60 minutes effort not many but some. There's always going to be a few minutes here and there where the other team has to show that they belong in the league and have some pressure. If we watched hockey and it would be

16-0 every time then I wouldn't be watching hockey cause they would be no point. Although I would like to see the team bring more of an effort more offten but you can't have everything.

Not sure what to make of that. I'd have problems starting Halak after his last couple of outings. 4.5 gaa in his last 2 games isn't a healthy stat, although he's not that bad overall for the season. I sure hope Halak has as much confidence in himself as Carbs seems to have in him; the Rangers will probably be pretty pumped after knocking off the Kid and the Pens 4-0.

I agree with having problems starting Halak after those two games. But mabey Carbo is trying to light a fire under him, having said publicly that he needs to be sharper. I am thinking this is his last shot to have a solid game... if not Denis plays against the leafs. ;)

I agree with having problems starting Halak after those two games. But mabey Carbo is trying to light a fire under him, having said publicly that he needs to be sharper. I am thinking this is his last shot to have a solid game... if not Denis plays against the leafs. ;)

For sure Denis should be starting against the Rangers, but knowing Carbonneau he will do the opposite and start Halak, I think Halak is a good back-up but the last 2 games he's been awful, we have Denis he's been playing good in Hamilton so I say play him, with Halak I don't think we will win!

For sure Denis should be starting against the Rangers, but knowing Carbonneau he will do the opposite and start Halak, I think Halak is a good back-up but the last 2 games he's been awful, we have Denis he's been playing good in Hamilton so I say play him, with Halak I don't think we will win!

I suggest you check his AHL stats. Denis played strong his first 11 AHL games but his last 11 AHL games have been less than stellar. He has a .887 save percentage over his last 6 AHL games.

Time for Habs to string some wins together. Bruins starting to see their shots go post-and-out, etc. Two straight losses (finally!), both at home. Hands may get squeezing their sticks a little more right now, in Beantown. Habs can help by starting to close the gap; get the Bruins looking over their shoulders.

oh man do i ever hate playing at madison square garden.

ya their has been too many rough times in that building, a recent memory from april 2007 when we needed to win to make the playoffs

anyway its the first stop on broadway this year, the team is depleted its a very tough building against a very tough team this will be a test

Archived