The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Steve Gainey

WTA

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=402615

according to above, not only did the BullDogs add devensive help in the form of TJ Kemp who most recently played for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL (who was picked up in a trade on Monday but they also signed Bob Gaineys son Steve (who plays forward) to a tryout contract.....before the signing Gainey was playing for the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL and had 11 goals and 30 points in 33 games for Idaho, both Kemp and Gainey made a big difference in their first games in Hamilton, both scoring goals (Gaineys the winner and Kemp the insurance via empty netter) in a 4-2 win over the Philadephia Phantoms

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw Gainey play tonight and he got a short handed goal off a Lehoux rebound. I have to say, for a son of Bob Gainey, Steve is pretty disappointing to watch. I am not exaggerating at all when I say this but after his first shift all I could think about was *Raphael. He skates almost exactly like him and probably has a similar amount of strength. It almost looks as if he's never played hockey before in his life. Also, his back handed passes, he just literally smacks at the puck and all I could do was facepalm(we need an emoticon for that). I'm not too happy that he's taking up a roster spot over someone more deserving.

So I saw Gainey play tonight and he got a short handed goal off a Lehoux rebound. I have to say, for a son of Bob Gainey, Steve is pretty disappointing to watch. I am not exaggerating at all when I say this but after his first shift all I could think about was *Raphael. He skates almost exactly like him and probably has a similar amount of strength. It almost looks as if he's never played hockey before in his life. Also, his back handed passes, he just literally smacks at the puck and all I could do was facepalm(we need an emoticon for that). I'm not too happy that he's taking up a roster spot over someone more deserving.

Well he last played professional hockey in 2005-06 (3 years ago) before this season.

I do not quite understand the signing (from a skill level point of view) either as he somewhat struggled at the AHL level and could not make the NHL club in the 3 years he was in the Dallas system where his father drafted him.

Well he last played professional hockey in 2005-06 (3 years ago) before this season.

I do not quite understand the signing (from a skill level point of view) either as he somewhat struggled at the AHL level and could not make the NHL club in the 3 years he was in the Dallas system where his father drafted him.

are you sure about that? his last team was the coyotes' affiliate not the stars and he played a couple of games for phoenix i thought a couple of years ago but maybe it was three years. i don't remember tbh.

are you sure about that? his last team was the coyotes' affiliate not the stars and he played a couple of games for phoenix i thought a couple of years ago but maybe it was three years. i don't remember tbh.

Yes in 2004-05 he was in the Phoenix organization; Dallas traded him in 2003-04. the following link shows his career stats:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=28668

ah, i misread your post. i thought you were implying that his last pro team was dallas because you didn't mention phoenix. i get it.

I am frequently misunderstood. I tell my wife the same thing all the time. :lol:

I should have said he had his best shot in Dallas because when he went to Phoenix he really did not play that long there.

:lol: fair enough.

do you know what kind of contract he has?

It's a 25 game P.T.O contrcat with Hamilton:

Gainey's departure from Steelheads may be long term

The forward signed a professional tryout contract with an AHL team.

Forward Steve Gainey has been loaned to the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL. He signed a professional tryout (PTO) contract with Hamilton, and the Bulldogs can keep Gainey for up to 25 games under that contract. "It's an opportunity for him to make it a long-term call-up," Laxdal said. "It's great for him. This is what he wanted - to get his feet wet with us and then an opportunity at the next level."

Source: http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/624585.html

For those who are interested here is a more up to date article written by PAT HICKEY of the The Gazette on Friday, January 23, 2009:

"Steve Gainey realized that last year when he was watching the National Hockey League playoffs. "I was watching the games on TV and I got excited," Gainey said from Hamilton, where he is attempting to resurrect his career with the American Hockey League's Bulldogs. The son of Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey had quit hockey two years earlier after playing a career-high 20 NHL games with the Phoenix Coyotes. He said he was unwilling to put in the months of hard work needed to stay in shape during the offseason.

"There were a lot of different reasons why I decided it was time to quit," he said. "I bought a house in Kamloops (where he played junior hockey in B.C.), I had a girl and I was involved in starting up a business. After years of moving around, I decided it would be good to spend time in one place and not have to deal with travelling."

But Gainey, who turns 30 on Monday, had a change of heart last spring. He skated and went back to the gym. He put in the hours he once tried to avoid. And he came back to the game with a realistic approach for a guy who has 33 NHL games on his résumé.

"I knew that I wasn't going into camp with the idea of making an NHL or even an AHL team," Gainey said. "I wasn't disappointed that I started the season in the East Coast League. I had put in four or five months of work and I concentrated on taking it one day at a time. I wasn't thinking about the NHL; I just wanted to take it one step at a time."

Gainey started the season with the Idaho Steelheads in the ECHL, and credits head coach Derek Laxdal with helping him succeed. "I was hoping to have a fast start and I was able to put up points early," Gainey said. "The coach gave me the ice time I needed."

Gainey was able to take the next step up the hockey ladder when the Canadiens ran into injury problems in December and reached out to Hamilton for help. The Bulldogs, in turn, looked to the ECHL for help. "We needed some grit after we lost players like (Matt) D'Agostini, (Ben) Maxwell and (Max) Pacioretty (to the Canadiens)," Hamilton head coach Don Lever said. "We have a lot of small, skilled forwards like Thomas Beauregard, Olivier Latendresse and Brock Trotter, but we needed someone to give us some toughness up front."

Lever said Gainey has had to make adjustments to deal with the quickness of the game in the AHL, but added he hasn't been afraid to use him in any situation. "I've used him everywhere," Lever said. "He has experience and he has hockey smarts." Gainey has impressed the coach so much that Lever expects him to remain in Hamilton even after the players currently in Montreal return.

"Right now, we only have nine forwards and we had to move two defencemen, Alex Henry and Chad Anderson, up front," Lever said. "Earlier this season, we didn't have enough defencemen and we had to use a forward (J.T. Wyman) on defence." Gainey, who had two goals in his first eight games with Hamilton, said he's happy with his comeback.

"I think I'm playing pretty well," said Gainey, who added he was able to get feedback from his increased ice time. "I just try to be physical and play simple, smart hockey." Gainey received some confirmation on his self-assessment last weekend after his father dropped in to watch the Bulldogs play. "I didn't even know he was going to be here and I didn't get a chance to speak to him, but he called me a few days later and he said he thought I played a good game," the younger Gainey said.

Source: http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...e0-6f9992b75996

I don't see him making it to the NHl at 30 but he might have a short AHL career.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks. i don't expect to see him in the nhl but hopefully he finds a place with the bulldogs.

Maybe not as a player one never knows though.

He seems to be improving from what I can see down here on the farm.

To the real young guys his locker rm presence and being the current GM's son might be a plus.

LOL maybe he a player scout????

• 7 months later...

Archived