The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jordan Staal Re-signs With Pens!

RicochetII

I guess Shero has decided having amazing depth down the middle is more important than having a real first line winger. But they overpayed him. 4mil a season is a lot for a third line center.
Not disagreeing, but the Habs' third line centre is making that, albeit, for one year more only. Then again, he's the team's top scorer, so ..... ;):lol:

Yeah, you'd think they'd get someone besides Dupuis to play with Crosby. Some games, I actually feel a little sorry for Sid. (I said a "little" .... :D:lol: ).

Of course, they could have had Esposito there for Crosby next season, but they threw him into the Hossa deal, so keen to overpay, they were.

Hello Tampa Bay Lightning, Part Deux.

They now have $35.5m tied up in six players for the next 4 years.

That leaves (depending upon who you believe for the cap # next year) anywhere from $15-20m to divide between what, 16 players? Ouch.

Im not saying Staal may not be worth this in the future (although with 91pts in over 200 games he's not yet) but surely this team has to see they cant keep these high priced players and manage to have a good team fleshed out around them...

Hello Tampa Bay Lightning, Part Deux.

They now have $35.5m tied up in six players for the next 4 years.

That leaves (depending upon who you believe for the cap # next year) anywhere from $15-20m to divide between what, 16 players? Ouch.

Im not saying Staal may not be worth this in the future (although with 91pts in over 200 games he's not yet) but surely this team has to see they cant keep these high priced players and manage to have a good team fleshed out around them...

Yes, but I don't think it's necessarily a big deal, because most of it is in "good" contracts, meaning that if the Pens need cap space, most of these players will be very easy to move, even in a cap world. If Pittsburgh finds a way to keep them all, then they do; otherwise, you trade and get great return.

Yes, but I don't think it's necessarily a big deal, because most of it is in "good" contracts, meaning that if the Pens need cap space, most of these players will be very easy to move, even in a cap world. If Pittsburgh finds a way to keep them all, then they do; otherwise, you trade and get great return.

Interesting point, Graeme & I agree to a point. $18m is to Malkin & Crosby so obviously those 2 could be moved to pretty much any team in the league, regardless of their salary.

Im not sure that the contracts to Staal ($4m), Whitney ($4.5m), Orpik ($3.75m) or even Fleury ($5.25m) are that easy to move. Thats not to say they arent necessarily worth the money, but if you're an opposition GM you're going to want to be giving some major salary back - none of those players (save Fleury if he can get his game back & maybe whitney if he can settle down defensively) are going to make you bend over backwards to get them onto your team IMHO.

This is a smart signing.

This kid is better than his numbers suggest, and could be the number two guy if a Malkin or Crosby get moved.

Keep in mind that at that price for four years he becomes a commodity that many teams would be willing to pay a very handsome price for.

He is very good defensively, is big strong and physical, and many believe he has a very huge offensive upside which makes this deal a steal.

If his offensive prowess comes as much as some suspect, this kid is better than Carter.

Im not sure that the contracts to Staal ($4m), Whitney ($4.5m), Orpik ($3.75m) or even Fleury ($5.25m) are that easy to move. Thats not to say they arent necessarily worth the money, but if you're an opposition GM you're going to want to be giving some major salary back - none of those players (save Fleury if he can get his game back & maybe whitney if he can settle down defensively) are going to make you bend over backwards to get them onto your team IMHO.

That's true, but every team has contracts like that. Just because Pittsburgh also has Crosby and Malkin doesn't mean they'll escape these high, but fair deals. That said, I don't think Staal belongs in that list, because even if he's slightly overpaid, plenty of GMs would take it for his potential.

I think Pittsburgh's downfall won't be the contracts themselves, but the reluctance of the GM to move star players. Tampa Bay had to hit rock bottom before they finally decided to move Richards. From a hockey perspective, were I Pittsburgh, I'd trade Crosby. I simply think Malkin is the better player. However, for marketing reasons, if either of the two go, it will be Malkin.

Now if they trade Malkin they both get back almost 10 million in cap space and would get an incredible return (probably a top two dman, 4th dman, and a couple top six wingers: just what they need.)

I shake my head at the whole thing because in 4-5 years these young guys are going to be demanding even more money. Looks like inflationary salaries for young players to me.

Not really an issue in a cap system though. Either the cap is rising so the increase in the salary isn't meaningful, or else you save money in other places. The cap prevents things from spinning out of control like they did early this decade.

Archived