Habs

Jaro

610x.jpg

Les Etoiles / The All stars

kovalev.jpg

Markov.jpg

Komisarek%20action%20-%20MTL.jpg

guyi.jpg

GAME REPORT from Yahoo sports http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Aqik...ype=team_report

The intense rivalry between the Canadiens and the Boston Bruins should be taken up a notch when the teams meet Tuesday night in Boston.

The teams are battling for first place in the Northeast Division, and the Bruins reached the halfway point in the season with a healthy 10-point lead over Montreal. The Bruins have won two of their first three games against Montreal this season and, if the Canadiens have any realistic hope of catching the Bruins, they have to win the three remaining games between the teams.

The Canadiens finished first last season because they swept the eight regular-season games against Boston. But the Bruins got some much needed confidence when they took the Canadiens to seven games in the opening round of the playoffs.

The playoffs were a coming-out party for rugged forward Milan Lucic. He has been particularly effective in distracting Mike Komisarek, throwing the defenseman off his game. Earlier this season, coach Guy Carbonneau decided to fight fire with fire and matched tough guy Georges Laraque against Lucic.

A similar matchup is unlikely Tuesday. Lucic has missed the last two games with an undisclosed injury and might be back, but Laraque has been out since Christmas with a groin injury.

The Canadiens will have to be aware of David Krejci, who has eight goals and 14 assists in his last 14 games, and former Hab Michael Ryder, who is up to 17 goals after a slow start.

The Boston game should mark the return of captain Saku Koivu, who has missed 13 games because of a high ankle sprain. He was hoping to be ready for the Saturday game against Washington, but it was decided to give him a few extra days.

Jaroslav Halak is expected to make his sixth consecutive start in goal. He is 4-1-0 since replacing the injured Carey Price.

Canadiens 5, Capitals 4: Sergei Kostitsyn scored the winning goal with 21.2 seconds left as the Canadiens won their fourth consecutive game. Tomas Plekanec scored two goals and the Canadiens’ power play continued to show signs of life as Robert Lang and Andrei Kostitsyn scored with the extra man. Alexander Semin scored two goals for Washington, but the Canadiens limited Alex Ovechkin to one assist.

Notes, Quotes

• The Canadiens’ power play scored two goals for the third consecutive game as Montreal went 2-for-6 with the extra man. The power play is 6-for-18 in the last three games.

• Washington went 1-for-4 on the power play and gave up a shorthanded goal.

• This was the third of four games between the clubs this season, and the Capitals hold a 2-1 edge.

• The win gave the Canadiens a better winning percentage than the Caps had at the midway point in the season, and that means Guy Carbonneau will be an assistant coach for the Eastern Conference at the NHL All-Star Game in Montreal on Jan. 25. The head coach is Boston’s Claude Julien, the man the Canadiens fired to make room for Carbonneau.

Quote To Note: “I felt I owed a debt to the team.”—Sergei Kostitsyn, who scored the winning goal against Washington. He was in the penalty box when Michael Nylander tied the game at 4-4.

Roster Report

Goaltenders: Jaroslav Halak, Marc Denis, Carey Price.

Defensemen: Andrei Markov, Mike Komisarek, Roman Hamrlik, Josh Gorges, Francis Bouillon, Patrice Brisebois.

First Line: Max Pacioretty, Tomas Plekanec, Alex Kovalev.

Second Line: Andrei Kostitsyn, Robert Lang, Sergei Kostitsyn.

Third Line: Guillaume Latendresse, Maxim Lapierre, Tom Kostopoulos.

Fourth Line: Steve Begin, Kyle Chipchura, Matt D’Agostini.

Player Notes:

• C Tomas Plekanec scored two goals, including a shorthanded goal in the first period. Plekanec has nine goals this season and three of them have come when the Canadiens have been a man short. He has two goals and two assists in the last three games.

• G Jaroslav Halak stopped 31 of 35 shots for his fourth consecutive victory. He improved his season record to 9-6-1.

• C Robert Lang scored on a power play to tie the score at 2-2 early in the third period. He leads the Canadiens with 16 goals.

• LW Andrei Kostitsyn scored his 13th goal and added an assist. He has four goals and four assists in his last four games.

• RW Sergei Kostitsyn scored for the second consecutive game. His eighth goal of the season was his first game-winning goal in the NHL.

Medical Watch:

• RW Alex Tanguay left the Tampa game on Dec. 30 in the first period with a shoulder injury after he was checked into the boards by Evgeny Artyukhin. He’ll be out of action for at least six weeks.

• G Carey Price went into the Dec. 30 game in Tampa with a sprained ankle. He was a 2-1 winner in a shootout but was sore when he reported back to practice on Jan. 1. The Canadiens say he’s day-to-day but he hasn’t practiced with his teammates in the new year. He has skated lightly but only once with full equipment.

• D Mathieu Dandenault suffered a broken arm when he was checked into the boards by Calgary’s Dustin Boyd on Dec. 9. He underwent surgery to repair a compound fracture and he’s out until mid-February.

• LW Christopher Higgins suffered a shoulder injury when he was checked into the boards in the Dec. 9 game against Calgary. He suffered a shoulder injury similar to the one suffered by Mike Komisarek. He will be out for another 7-10 days but Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau said Higgins probably won’t play until after the All-Star game.

• C Saku Koivu left the Dec. 11 game against Tampa Bay with an ankle injury. He has resumed skating and the Canadiens are hoping he’ll be able to play Tuesday in Boston.

• RW Georges Laraque continues to occupy a place on the injured reserve list with a strained groin. Laraque has missed 24 games this season, 17 of them because of the recurring groin injury.

nice thread, GHC,

i'm gonna say, 5-4 habs in o/t...

(i've been predicting that same score for the past few games, and we've been winning...so.....haha )

halak plays well, pp = 2 goals.....pacman for first goal....

( oh yeah, what number is vinnie wearing to-night ?? )

GO HABS GO...

( i've got a hankerin for a can of boston baked beans, for a post game meal )

nice thread, GHC,

i'm gonna say, 5-4 habs in o/t...

(i've been predicting that same score for the past few games, and we've been winning...so.....haha )

halak plays well, pp = 2 goals.....pacman for first goal....

( oh yeah, what number is vinnie wearing to-night ?? )

GO HABS GO...

( i've got a hankerin for a can of boston baked beans, for a post game meal )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You miss a picture of an "etoiles"

Guy Carbonneau!

Is Lucic in? I heard is was day-to-day due to undisclosed body injury.

Anything about Koivu? The way powerplay has been going lately, Koivu in the mix is frosting on the cake!

To a great game by le bleu blanc rouge.

Lots of bananas!

You're right, I'll add it now. Thanks :)

According to yahoo Koivu is playing tonight and Lucic is out.

Although he practised with the team, Saku Koivu says he will not make the trip to Boston for Tuesday's game and is not sure about a return against Nashville on Thursday. Jaroslav Halak will start in Boston and Tom Kostopoulos will play. Carey Price skated on his own for 20 minutes, which head coach Guy Carbonneau said "is a big step." - TSN

Although he practised with the team, Saku Koivu says he will not make the trip to Boston for Tuesday's game and is not sure about a return against Nashville on Thursday. Jaroslav Halak will start in Boston and Tom Kostopoulos will play. Carey Price skated on his own for 20 minutes, which head coach Guy Carbonneau said "is a big step." - TSN

Damn, I was hoping to see Saku return. Thanks for the update SF.

Kessel,Bergeron,Lucic,Sturm and Thomas out of the lineup tonight. Martin St. Pierre center ex- Hawk in possibly to check Lang 4 others called up from Providence. Bruins sent Lashoff down, brought Tukka Rask in to back up Fernandez.Looks like its going to be a real tilt in beantown, lets hope its another big offensive game for Les Habitants.

You're welcome!

I forgot to mention that it was a great GT, GHC, Well done once again!

This game will be another test to Carbonneau's squad.

Being a four point game, this game is most important than the last one. 60 mins of play! or 65 ... *knock on wood*

The best coach shall win tonight! (habs win this for sure... if boston wins, then Julien isnt the best coach, carbonneau stil is ...LOL)

Guest olddude

Nice GDT, GHC.

Should be a good game, this is one the Habs need to win to get their confidence back about being able to beat Boston. I have no doubt the Habs can do it, after all, no one waved a magic wand over the Bruins and made them a better team. They were just working harder and smarter than we were, but that stops tonight.

Habs will win this match big time. And after it's over, I hope Carbo and Julien can get along at the ASG ;) .

GO HABS GO

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I'm kind of glad, though, that I'm stuck with CJAD and won't get to see it. It might be a little easier to handle. Injuries aside, I think this is the most momentum that Habs have had in a while and hopefully the confidence of a 4-game winning streak will give them an edge when they step on the ice.

GO HABS GO!

And excellent GDT, Coach. Nice touch with the All-Stars!

Kessel,Bergeron,Lucic,Sturm and Thomas out of the lineup tonight.

excellent news, although i'm almost disappointed they're not playing.

Bruins have injuries, but don't seem to be fazed by them.

that was my next question...good grief. <_<

if only the habs hated ryder as much as they hate grabs the boys might show up for 60min.

as long as they keep playing like they have been and put a ton of pressure on their d the boys can do it. we already know kovy can undress chara. maybe it'll be andrei's turn tonight. :)

edit: great thread! i never get tired of admiring our all stars. :D

From my understanding Dandenault, BGL, Tanguay, and Higgins are out for several more games. From my understanding Koivu and Price are close to returning. I think I have heard mention of Thursday for our captain. Although it could be tonight. I think I would rather wait until Thursday night. As for Price. I hope it is tonight but I have heard nothing about a return date for Price.

I thought I heard last night that Kessel is out with mono. Lucic is probably not playing tonight.

Montreal wins tonight 5-3. My logic. Montreal is playing good, Bruins are without two of their better players, and Montreal seems to play much better against top teams then weak teams.

I would not be shocked if Price played tonight since he skated 20 minutes yesterday

From my understanding Dandenault, BGL, Tanguay, and Higgins are out for several more games. From my understanding Koivu and Price are close to returning. I think I have heard mention of Thursday for our captain. Although it could be tonight. I think I would rather wait until Thursday night. As for Price. I hope it is tonight but I have heard nothing about a return date for Price.

I thought I heard last night that Kessel is out with mono. Lucic is probably not playing tonight.

Montreal wins tonight 5-3. My logic. Montreal is playing good, Bruins are without two of their better players, and Montreal seems to play much better against top teams then weak teams.

I would not be shocked if Price played tonight since he skated 20 minutes yesterday

Yes, I agree, Carbo/BG will stay the course and not rush anyone back into the line up; this is not play-offs (no matter how 'big' this one game seems).

Kessel, I have read is "1 week to 1 month" which is par for the course with mono. It'll be week to week for him. Don't be surprised if it does end up being one month or more.

What i think we must try to do, is, try to take a page out of the Bruin's book. The Bruin's have a stat ( 0% when trailing after 2 periods) that is a bit decieving. The thing is, that they are rarely trailing after 2. These guy's are quick out of the gate and get on the scoreboard early and tend to have control of the game going into the 3rd for the most part. So, we can't lay back, we have to win the majority of the faceoff's, pressure them and try to force them to ice the puck, lay the body on Savard, Krecji, Ryder. We need a great game from Halak, and need to be sound in our own end. LETS GO HABS!!!!!!!!! Oh yea, let's draw Chara into penalties!

Archived