The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Fans Leaving Early

chissler

This is one of my biggest pet peaves in life. And it goes for any sporting event, not just Montreal Canadiens' games.

But at my first home games on the 8th and 10th of this month, I watched people get up and leave early. On the 8th against the Leafs, the Habs were up by a few goals so I can remotely understand that. It still annoys me, but so be it. But on the 10th against the Capitals, the night Kostitsyn buried the winner with 20 seconds to go, people started to get up and leave with 2-3 minutes left. A couple minutes left in a tied game and some people got up and left. Less than that of the previous game, but how do you possibly leave early?

Even if some of the people merely stand in the entrance as the time ticks off, is that really worth the effort to be out of the building in 45 seconds as opposed to 2-3 minutes?

Every now and then someone would have a legitimate reason for having to do so, and I'm not speaking for them.

But those who get up and leave the game early, purely for "beating the crowd", I just want to say that you annoy the hell out of me and I feel you are disrespecting the game.

This is one of my biggest pet peaves in life. And it goes for any sporting event, not just Montreal Canadiens' games.

But at my first home games on the 8th and 10th of this month, I watched people get up and leave early. On the 8th against the Leafs, the Habs were up by a few goals so I can remotely understand that. It still annoys me, but so be it. But on the 10th against the Capitals, the night Kostitsyn buried the winner with 20 seconds to go, people started to get up and leave with 2-3 minutes left. A couple minutes left in a tied game and some people got up and left. Less than that of the previous game, but how do you possibly leave early?

Even if some of the people merely stand in the entrance as the time ticks off, is that really worth the effort to be out of the building in 45 seconds as opposed to 2-3 minutes?

Every now and then someone would have a legitimate reason for having to do so, and I'm not speaking for them.

But those who get up and leave the game early, purely for "beating the crowd", I just want to say that you annoy the hell out of me and I feel you are disrespecting the game.

I'm guessing they are trying to beat the traffic rush, which can be significantly more than the 2 or 3 minute "people rush".

And it's their ticket, if they choose to miss the end of the game, so be it.

Live and let live. I understand why it bothers you and I would personally stay till the end although just because I don't get to see a live game often. If I had season tickets or would go to 5-10 games a year I may be more inclined to try and beat traffic too (depending on the score). Like others have said before, they did buy the ticket.

I really hate when people do that, especially when it's in the row right in front of me. The whole row has to stand-up to let the people by and while they do that, you miss the game. I mean, can't they leave when their's a whistle at least?

Personnally, no matter what the score is, I stay to the end.

I would nevear leave the Bell Centre early.. I live in Toronto and make the trip up about 3 times a year to catch my habs in action.. Each game is like Christmas to me. Its a real treat and a privlege to be in that building. As a Habs fan surpressed by "LeafsNation" each time I visit Montreal I want to screem to the Heavens as if I Was Martin luther King..'Free at Last, FREE at Last Good GOD ALIMITY FREE AT LAST"!!!!!

Before each game I arrive early before the Gates open and go crazy awaiting the momment where I will be inside. Once inside I take a tour of the hallways.. vist builders row and Youppi ville... Check out the boutique and souvenier stands, then grab a few bears.. Now I have all that out of my system and It time to go to my seats.

I am like to take some time to take it all in. Being from Toronto its always so sureal to be their and surronded by Blue, Blanc et Rouge.. I like to Stare at the cup Banners and think about each Cup esecialy 86 and 93 of which I have actual memories.. I especialy think back to game 2 in 93 as I was lucky enough to be at the Forum to watch that historical game. The I look at each retired number.. I watch a highlight reel in my head for each player with a extra long highlight package for Richard and Roy my favourites and long time idols.

By now the Molson Ex combined with antispation for the game has taken its effects and I start to get a little Rowdy.. I begin to scream Go Habs GO and sing OLE OLE OLE.. long before the seats have even been filled.

During the game I will never leave my seats.. Its important to me to take every momment as if it was my last in my very own heaven on Earth. Even during the intermission I try not to leave my seats as its a truly special place to be. If I have to go to the bath room its a qwick run and I am back.. If I need more beer their are vendors so no reason to waste time lineing up.

After the game I stay watch the 3 starts and If the Habs win I stay and Sing my Oles yet again.. I like to do a trip aroung the seats and look at the Habs Hall of Famers above each section. Eventualy the Ushers kick me out.. So I hit the Halls still singing OLE OLE OLE.. a Couple trips around the upper level then a few around the lower and it starts to empty out.. By now I finally make my leave to the streets and continue my Voctory song with many other habs fans.. I sing it all the way to the Hotel and trash talk fans of the Opposing team usally my Hated Leafs.. Thankfully I usally stay at Novotel so Its not a long trip.. Now Its time to relax before going back out to the Bars and contiue my great night.

When people are in the Bell Centre they should take full advantage of it.. Tickets are not cheap so make it worth while.

Most people want to do exactly as you said, "beat the crowd" and especially if the Habs are being slaughtered. Not everyone is a die hard fan that will remain from puck drop to the three stars announcement. It is one of those things you simply have to live with.

I understand that.. But even if the Habs lose being their is still something very special. I understand not everyone feels the way I do.. But its the Freaking Habs and they should!!

I was at both of those games and agree with you 100%!!!! Especially the Washington game :blink: :blink: :blink: why pay all that money for tickets, not to mention the trouble of getting to and from the game to miss the whole point of the game - next time watch it on tv and let the real fans get a chance at decent tickets. What was most insane about that was that most of them left with only about a minute and a half left in a tied game!!!!!!

Yes it is their money but I especially hate when they decide to leave during the middle of the play and block everyone's view who does want to see the end of the game.

I'm notorious at doing that :D

I'm sorry because as my season tickets are in the whites, its a huge pain when you get in that pack down both escalators and then out the doors (nevermind when they were constructing Centennial Plaza ugh that was a nightmare) and then walking to the parking lot, and being in bumer to bumper to the ville-marie and then even more on the Decarie?

Thanks but no thanks.

I however do make sure I'm respectful when I do it, I always wait for a whistle/tv timeout to get up and if its a tie game I never do it, when theres like 1 minute left or its after regulation I get up and stand by the alley but always making sure theres no play going on.

I'm sorry because as my season tickets are in the whites, its a huge pain when you get in that pack down both escalators and then out the doors (nevermind when they were constructing Centennial Plaza ugh that was a nightmare) and then walking to the parking lot, and being in bumer to bumper to the ville-marie and then even more on the Decarie?

Thanks but no thanks.

I however do make sure I'm respectful when I do it, I always wait for a whistle/tv timeout to get up and if its a tie game I never do it, when theres like 1 minute left or its after regulation I get up and stand by the alley but always making sure theres no play going on.

Booooooooooooooooourns.. Why don't you just hang back and wait for the place to clear out.. Whats the rush?

I have issues with people invading my personal space, so I will occasionally get up early from an event. Normally, I prefer to wait until the worst of the crowd has passed. I have to will myself not to push, elbow or even hit somebody when they aren't looking where they are going, walking spread eagle in a group across the floor or breathing down my neck. It's just safer for everybody if I do one or the other.

No way I am walking out early on a Canadiens game however. :P

I tried that before but they kick you out if you wait too long :lol:

I guess I just don't get it..

I am lucky in a way though.. I stay in a Hotel near the Bell Centre. The Novotel is just a parking lot away like a 3 minute walk or less from the main gate. My car is parked at the Hotel so its really easy for me.

Thanks but no thanks.

Exactly - you are at least polite about it to others like me who only get to see the Habs one or two games a year - it is all about common courtesy! :D I don't blame you for wanting a fast getaway with Montreal traffic but I'm sure you hang in there for important games!

I would nevear leave the Bell Centre early.. I live in Toronto and make the trip up about 3 times a year to catch my habs in action.. Each game is like Christmas to me. Its a real treat and a privlege to be in that building. As a Habs fan surpressed by "LeafsNation"...

I know what you mean torhabsfan. I love going to the Bell Centre to see a game, there is nothing like it. I could never leave early, but I guess if you get to see them often its not as a big of a deal. This way they can beat the rush and all that.

Last March I headed to Buffalo to go see a game. Montreal was down 1-3 with a few minutes left. I was like "shoot, it is going to suck leaving here" I didn't want to be chirped by the Sabres fans on my way out. But then, alot of them started leaving figuring the game was over. I wanted to stay until the bitter end because I don't get to see them play often. There were tons of habs fans remaining, I would say almost 40% of the people there. But this is when the magic took place. Plekanec scored 2 goals in what felt like seconds, sending them into overtime, then Higgins scored the winner. I am so glad I stayed. The beautiful (but scary) thing about hockey, almost anything can happen in the last few minutes.

LMAO. I would pay someone 20 bucks to do that!

Well thing is in football and soccer arenas theres more room (not to mention no glass boards) to run for when they make their clevrly schemed escape plan that always fails.

Also its very cold in rinks, so for the feeds that don't get blanked out or for the people there, it could very much belittle a man, which is why a woman must do it!!

Archived