The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Koivu Or Kovalev?

kent

With the ufa season coming up in july and the salary cap going down the habs have some decision to make who to keep who to let go who would the habs fans like to keep koivu or kovalev? best case scenario the habs can keep both but only at a certain price. But if we had to choose one which one to keep the one who can lead the team through heart or the one who can lead the tea through skill?

With the ufa season coming up in july and the salary cap going down the habs have some decision to make who to keep who to let go who would the habs fans like to keep koivu or kovalev? best case scenario the habs can keep both but only at a certain price. But if we had to choose one which one to keep the one who can lead the team through heart or the one who can lead the tea through skill?

Koivu, without question...If I had to decide between the 2...We don't have as much centre depth as we do winger depth.

Anyway, back to REALITY, this question may be a bit premature. Here's why:

1. We dont know for SURE the salary cap is going down

2. We dont know which players (if any) Gainey will move in trades prior to the summer

3. We dont know the intentions of some of our other UFA (ie if Tanguay and/or Komi want to test the UFA markets there may be enough money for BOTH koivu & kovalev)

4. Depending upon this season's team, either (both) of them may wish to give home town discounts to stay. Lets say we win the cup and they feel they could repeat - they may take less than fair market value to do so, rather than making maximum $$$ and ending up in Ohio or something.

I personally have no problem seeing our captain,retire a hab.

Koivu may not be the elite,high scoring #1 superstar we are wanting to get our hands on,but he has been our superstar in different ways.

All the obstacles & adversity he has overcome in montreal,i believe koivu plays with heart & passion for us.

My opinion, our captain stays. :D

Koivu, without question...If I had to decide between the 2...We don't have as much centre depth as we do winger depth.

It's either Koivu or Lang. We have to sign one unless we want to risk finding something elsewhere. The choice of signing Koivu likely isn't ours to make. He's given us every reason to re-sign him, so we will, unless he chooses to look elsewhere.

Anyway, back to REALITY, this question may be a bit premature. Here's why:

1. We dont know for SURE the salary cap is going down

2. We dont know which players (if any) Gainey will move in trades prior to the summer

3. We dont know the intentions of some of our other UFA (ie if Tanguay and/or Komi want to test the UFA markets there may be enough money for BOTH koivu & kovalev)

4. Depending upon this season's team, either (both) of them may wish to give home town discounts to stay. Lets say we win the cup and they feel they could repeat - they may take less than fair market value to do so, rather than making maximum $$$ and ending up in Ohio or something.

Pretty much all of this, except, we can decide on priority between Koivu and Kovalev. You can still make a preemptive selection. This is what we need to have in mind before we start making deals.

It depends on what direction Gainey wants to take.

This team is being built to contend beyond this year. We have young players who are contributing now and more in the pipeline who figure one being part of the team's core for many years ahead.

Having said that, it is in the best interests of the team to retain some veteran presence. In the case of Koivu and Kovalev, however, they are also difference makers on the ice.

I don't envy Gainey for having to make that decision and hopefully it doesn't come to that.

If we lost either one, different areas of our game will suffer.

Personally, my heart says Kovalev stays but I can't see Koivu wearing any other sweater.

You could still have both IMO if they are willing to take a little less money. Unforunately they are both at the point in their career where they are not at their top form anymore. If the Habs can get someone younger who can bring the same or more then they might take a chance to throw money at said player and wont have the cash to pay either of them. I would have to say the Habs center position is a bit weaker then their wing position at the moment. It's even worse if they don't resign Lang. I believe the team has shown they can do OK without Koivu if need be. I'm sure they cold do OK without Kovalev as well. It's up the the management who they want to resign. There are a lot of players and only a certain amount of money.

It all depends on the price they want and the length of the contract. I am confident Koivu will take a home town discount and his leadership is needed.

Will Kovi accept a discount? Not sure. My feeling is that the last time around he signed with us because he did not have any other offers on the table.

If both accept a discount now that would be amazing. It would mean that Montreal has graduated to being like a team like Detroit, where players want to take a discount to win!!! The cycle of success!!!

I can understand why they would pick Saku. He is an icon in Montreal and he doesn't complain much. Personally I think Kovy has finally matured the point where he doesn't blame others for him not putting up great numbers and is willing to take a lesser role if it means the team winning more often. Koivu will probably be a higher priority and perhaps thats the way it should be. I am a big Kovy fan, but I understand Koivu being on a bit higher priority.

It's a tough choice, but given the loyalty Koivu has shown and the mood swings Kovy has shown, it's no contest.

Kovalev is the type of player who pisses you off when he coughs up the puck and dangles so long that he ends up losing it, but when he's gone, you really miss him. Just look at every team that's given him up, I think it was The Rangers who said, "when Kovalev isn't in your line up anymore, you wish you had yourself a Kovalev...". The guy is definitely one of the most entertaining players we've had since our Dynasty teams.

If you look at it like... Kovy's getting older and will slow down, you'll be paying him more for his experience (helps a lot with the younger Russian players), then his talent. Same can be said for Koivu, I think they'll both be willing to take a pay cut to remain with the team.

The only way I see Koivu going anywhere, is if he decides to play with his brother in Minny. The guy stuck it out through the Habs darkest years, you really think that he wants to go anywhere now that the team finally seems to be on the winning end?

Kovalev, it's no secret he's moody and is very particular about who he plays with. I too see him wanting to stay with the Habs. We have a fairly big Russian community and the most emotional arena/fans in North America. Montreal loves Kovalev, he hasn't had this appreciation since Pitts. Sure he'll be welcomed by another team, but he told his father last season that he hasn't felt this good since the Pens.

If it comes down to it and they both end up being greedy (which I doubt very strongly), I'm sorry but, Koivu has been our captain and much more loyal to this team than anyone else. I go with Koivu, he knows he's not as healthy since the cancer and i doubt very strongly that he'll want a raise.

I love both of them, but imo Koivu is the "Sundin" of montreal. In the sense that myself, and Im sure others, simply could not seeing him wearing any other jeresy. Hes a great player that plays with heart every single game. Kovalev, despite having matured since hes come here, simply dosnt bring that passion to the players around him imo.

I hope they keep Kovy instead, but I know they will pick Saku over Kovy when the time comes at the end of the season. :(

don't even want to think about it.

you dont want to think about saku returning to the team ...

than what do you want to think about?

Archived