The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Koivu Or Kovalev?

kent

I don't understand why Saku can't sign a 3 year deal for a third line forward type contract and still be the captain. I mean, sure! he can go to a western conference team for a one year deal...try to make more money, get a shot at the cup. But rarely I've seen a player be remembered for what he did for a club he joined after he was past his prime. Maybe he won't win a cup here, maybe he'll make less money...but Saku still should retire as a Hab and be remembered as a Hab. I'm sure Mats Sundin will agree with me.

3 years for $10M for Saku.

2 years $9M for Kovy.

We should be able to keep both.

Kovalev.

Everything I would like to say here has pretty much been said. Koivu has heart, but he just doesn't have enough of an impact anymore. Kovy is a bit up and down, but he is a super-talent (albeit one past his prime, perhaps), and I love having him on the team. I agree with a previous poster that Kovy works hard all the time. I don't think he just 'shows up' when he feels like it. But yeah, he's streaky. Send Koivu to the Wild so he can play with his bro. Keep Kovy in Montreal. He gets us points.

People who think Saku can't play any more should remember how well he played down the stretch with two quality wingers on his line. If we stop making Saku babysit kids, he'll perform. He's lost a step, but he can still be very effective if we surround him with the appropriate talent.

People who think Saku can't play any more should remember how well he played down the stretch with two quality wingers on his line. If we stop making Saku babysit kids, he'll perform. He's lost a step, but he can still be very effective if we surround him with the appropriate talent.

Agreed.

Send koivu nowhere's.

The hate for Kovalev is sickening.

Part of me wants him to go somehwere else and destroy the habs any chance he gets. All the fans do here is poop on the good players, chasing them from the team...only to complain later when that player is tearing it up on their new team.

Koivu needs to go. Kovalev can put up 70 pts in his sleep. He never gets injured and actually likes playing in Montreal. Koivu is small, tires easily and has 0 scoring threat. He is a great guy and has loads of heart, but I don't see him any higher than a 3rd line center and i'm sure he wouldn't settle for that demotion. He'll also probably want over 4 mill, which is way too much for a 3rd line center. Let him go.

You may not like Kovalev...you may think he dogs it sometimes, but he STILL produces. Imagine what he would do if you put him on a line with 2 good players?

We already saw what he did with Koivu and Tanguay.

Hopefully Gainey makes the right move, but I don't really have much faith in him.

ya and I guess your gonna make plekanec the 1st line centre? that'll get them a cup for sure

The hate for Kovalev is sickening.

Part of me wants him to go somehwere else and destroy the habs any chance he gets. All the fans do here is poop on the good players, chasing them from the team...only to complain later when that player is tearing it up on their new team.

Koivu needs to go. Kovalev can put up 70 pts in his sleep. He never gets injured and actually likes playing in Montreal. Koivu is small, tires easily and has 0 scoring threat. He is a great guy and has loads of heart, but I don't see him any higher than a 3rd line center and i'm sure he wouldn't settle for that demotion. He'll also probably want over 4 mill, which is way too much for a 3rd line center. Let him go.

You may not like Kovalev...you may think he dogs it sometimes, but he STILL produces. Imagine what he would do if you put him on a line with 2 good players?

We already saw what he did with Koivu and Tanguay.

Hopefully Gainey makes the right move, but I don't really have much faith in him.

After lockout:

Koivu

295 71+172=2430.824 Playoff 14 3+11=14 1

Kovalev

302 102+159=261 0.864 Playoff 22 11+10=21 0.95

There is virtually nothing between played games so the injury argument doesn't hold. In points Kovalev holds a small advantage which mainly stems from the 07-08 season when Kovalev played in one of the best lines of the NHL whereas Koivu played with Ryder + Higgins and some random defensemen on his wing for most of the season.

The choice between Kovalev and Koivu will be tough for Bob. They're two almost completely different players tho. Kovalev is skilled beyond belief but his lack of comitment and motivation seems to be of major concern almost every year! Where as Koivu (although not nearly as skilled as Kovalev) shows so much leadership, heart, and perseveirence that it seems impossible for me to watch him walk away from the Habs.

HOWEVER! I will take a player with heart and leadership any day over a player who looks like he's not even awake for the games half of the time. In my opinion Kovalev's days as a Hab have come to an end, and if the 1year 6 million + captaincy is true, this will be a VERY long offseason. Not only does Kovalev not diserve 6 million from this team but to give him the captaincy as well? Kovalev was a complete disaster in 08/09, he was a distraction off the ice, and did not even come close to showing us even glimpses of his 07/08 form. He does NOT diserve a raise and he certainly does NOT diserve to take Koivu's place on this hockey club. Koivu has been the face of the Habs and what Koivu represents is everything the Habs and they're fans should stand for! He brings it every night, and although he is much less skilled, he diserves to wear the 'C' until the end of his days in this league, i can only hope it will be for the Habs.

So, if you missed it, I choose Koivu! :angry:

That "disaster" led the Habs in points, for two straight years......

In which we were rubbed out of the playoffs in the second round.

That's hardly a success story.

KOVALEV IS OUR BEST PLAYER!

They played very well in that second round! Biron stood on his head and Price did not, that was the difference. Then Pittsburgh made him come back down to earth. I still believe that without RJ getting fluky goals and Martin " I only play well vs Montreal, like all other Quebec born players" Biron playing above his average, we would have given Pittsburgh all they could handle that year. I wish everyone would stop blaming one player for not making it to the third round. Only 4 teams every year get to make it there, just like anything else you need a little bit of luck on your side to do so! A goalie that stands on his head is a lucky goalie! Good bounces go a long, long, long way to hoisting the cup!

After lockout:

Koivu

Kovalev

There is virtually nothing between played games so the injury argument doesn't hold. In points Kovalev holds a small advantage which mainly stems from the 07-08 season when Kovalev played in one of the best lines of the NHL whereas Koivu played with Ryder + Higgins and some random defensemen on his wing for most of the season.

Most people though Ryder and Higgens were really good players and the future of the Habs that year. This year Plekanec and Andrei K played pretty poorly many of the games. Kovalev also played poorly, but he still managed to lead the team in points by the end of the season and was a major factor in the Habs making the playoffs at all. I think he was NHL player of the week near the last week of the season. Kovalev has led the team in points three out of four seasons. One could argue Carbo was not a good coach for anyone so basically Kovalev had to figure out a way to make his young linemates better which was not an easy task. Overall I think it's unfair to say it's was Kovalev's linemates that made him achieve his points totals, but Koivu's linemates were holding him back. Both were given young unproved young talent to work with, but Kovalev was able to make his line work really well through the PP in 07-08. Koivu did the same with Ryder, Higgens, and Souray in 06-07 the one year he led the Habs in points. Basically his line was one of the worst plus/minus in the NHL, but they scored a lot of PP points. Lets also not forget Koivu Ryder has been a 20-30 goal man most of his time in the NHL and it wasn't all Koivu that made him the 30 goal man. He was just a good goal scorer. Kovalev most of his time as a Hab was stuck with retreads 3rd and 4th liners until he got Andrei K and Plekanec.

The choice between Kovalev and Koivu will be tough for Bob. They're two almost completely different players tho. Kovalev is skilled beyond belief but his lack of comitment and motivation seems to be of major concern almost every year! Where as Koivu (although not nearly as skilled as Kovalev) shows so much leadership, heart, and perseveirence that it seems impossible for me to watch him walk away from the Habs.

HOWEVER! I will take a player with heart and leadership any day over a player who looks like he's not even awake for the games half of the time. In my opinion Kovalev's days as a Hab have come to an end, and if the 1year 6 million + captaincy is true, this will be a VERY long offseason. Not only does Kovalev not diserve 6 million from this team but to give him the captaincy as well? Kovalev was a complete disaster in 08/09, he was a distraction off the ice, and did not even come close to showing us even glimpses of his 07/08 form. He does NOT diserve a raise and he certainly does NOT diserve to take Koivu's place on this hockey club. Koivu has been the face of the Habs and what Koivu represents is everything the Habs and they're fans should stand for! He brings it every night, and although he is much less skilled, he diserves to wear the 'C' until the end of his days in this league, i can only hope it will be for the Habs.

So, if you missed it, I choose Koivu! :angry:

Lack of commitment, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? He led the team in points for two years straight at age 35, what's next? The habs jersey is not red, white and blue! This statement angers me to no end! It's glaringly obvious to me that Kovalev is commited to the Montreal Canadiens, in fact, he was the only one to the best of my memory that came right out and said that he wants to be a Hab next season!

Honestly, it is tough for me to say that Koivu has to go because I would love to have him retire as a Hab and if he doesn't then I'll be very sad. Since the topic is Kovy or Saku, for me it's very very crystal clear....AK27 baby! He's our best player offensively without a doubt and that IS FACT!

In truth I don't know which one should come back. I've been wrong about other players that have left the team. Obviously I'm a big fan of Kovalev and every year he has led the team in the points the Habs have made the playoffs. I don't know if he would make a good captain or if the Habs should continue to try and build this team around guys like Kovalev and Koivu who are getting on in age. If they can bring in two big names (one a big name first line center), (two a big name number one or two defenseman) then I think the team has a shot at winning considering how much parity there is in the NHL. It will be difficult for the Habs to bring in those two key pieces and also sign Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay/or possible Lang.

After lockout:

Koivu

Kovalev

The key is goals. I don't care about assists. Kovalev produces goals! On an off season he still got almost 70 points. He's a beast in the playoffs. I don't dislike Koivu. In a perfect world I'd love for him to finish his career with the habs. But if I had to choose, I'm picking Kovalev...he scores GOALS, somthing the Habs have a problem doing. Give him some good linemates and he scores 80+ points. Koivu will never hit that plateau...ever!

neither. Kovalev and Koivu are always dissapointments except for Kovalev last season. Everybody has this soft spot for Koivu but he really hasn't done anything the last three years. It's time to move on. Let's try signing some of the bigger names available this year.

The key is goals. I don't care about assists. Kovalev produces goals! On an off season he still got almost 70 points. He's a beast in the playoffs. I don't dislike Koivu. In a perfect world I'd love for him to finish his career with the habs. But if I had to choose, I'm picking Kovalev...he scores GOALS, somthing the Habs have a problem doing. Give him some good linemates and he scores 80+ points. Koivu will never hit that plateau...ever!

Those are facts, but it's not really the best way to compare players in two different positions. Koivu as a classic playmaker and center who loves to share the puck and Kovalev a winger who likes to keep the puck and score himself. It's the organization's fault that we don't have enough finishers in the team, Koivu was never meant to be one anyway. But of course in the current situation we need to keep any goalscorer we have so Kovalev should stay for sure.

neither. Kovalev and Koivu are always dissapointments except for Kovalev last season. Everybody has this soft spot for Koivu but he really hasn't done anything the last three years. It's time to move on. Let's try signing some of the bigger names available this year.

Koivu scored 75 points in 06-07 and lead the team in scoring by a mile, that surely counts for "something". Also he was always the key player of the team in playoffs, especially in 07-08, 03-04. Even this season he lead the team in even strength points tied with Kovalev despite playing less games.

Those are facts, but it's not really the best way to compare players in two different positions. Koivu as a classic playmaker and center who loves to share the puck and Kovalev a winger who likes to keep the puck and score himself. It's the organization's fault that we don't have enough finishers in the team, Koivu was never meant to be one anyway. But of course in the current situation we need to keep any goalscorer we have so Kovalev should stay for sure.

Koivu scored 75 points in 06-07 and lead the team in scoring by a mile, that surely counts for "something". Also he was always the key player of the team in playoffs, especially in 07-08, 03-04. Even this season he lead the team in even strength points tied with Kovalev despite playing less games.

well said well said

he always plays with 100% effort the guys 5'11 and goes to the front of the net like a guy who's 6'4

Archived