The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Next 90 Points+ Getter?

KOVALUV

I have always wondered this, and hopefully I can get some insight from all you montreal enthusiants**. I'm fairly young at the age of 18 but have been a HUGE Habs fan all my life due thanks partly from my father and 3 older brothers. I believe Vincent Damphousse has been the last person in my life time to score 90 points or more and my father says that Mats Naslund was the last player to reach the 100 point mark. I was just wondering who you all believe would be the next player to reach 90 points or more? I believe if Kovalchuk or Vinny came to montreal they would reach that 90 point number and maybe even 100, but do you think maybe Andrei Kostitsyn will ever get there or some player in the farm team? I think its pretty interesting. But Im aware that montreal almost each year well have roughly 7-8 people that well score 40 points or more and usually Montreal is the only team that well get that much offense from so many people.

What do you all think? Who well be the next superstar scorer to dawn the CH?

Unless something changes or someone makes a huge jump in development, the only guy on our current roster i can see scoring 90 points is Andrei Kostitsyn.

Kovalev obviously has the skill but his age (and knees) may have caught up to him - I cant see him replicating last year's totals, let alone surpassing them.

Tanguay is a dark horse. With the right linemates, he could score in that range. The question mark for me is if he will even be resigned this summer - i.e. will we ever get to see him play a full season with us.

Unless something changes or someone makes a huge jump in development, the only guy on our current roster i can see scoring 90 points is Andrei Kostitsyn.

Kovalev obviously has the skill but his age (and knees) may have caught up to him - I cant see him replicating last year's totals, let alone surpassing them.

Tanguay is a dark horse. With the right linemates, he could score in that range. The question mark for me is if he will even be resigned this summer - i.e. will we ever get to see him play a full season with us.

AK46 is the only guy who even has the potential to be a 90-point player.

I agree with you that Kovalev is past the age where 90 points is a realistic goal. His 84-point mark last season was totally unexpected and he's only hit 90 points once in his career.

Tanguay, not a chance. I unfortunately think we saw the best he had to offer at the start of the season when he and Saku were on fire.

definitely tom kostopolous with all the PP time he's getting.

Ha!

Let me go out on a crazy limb here and say Maxim Lapierre and both Kostitsyn brothers will reach the 90 point plateau sometime in their careers. Lapierre just seems to work hard and love the game, which makes him a possibility (even though most of you will probably say he just doesn't have the talent...that shootout goal made my knees weak...) and both Belarussians seem to have spurts of superstardom here and there...all we need is a couple years for these guys to develop and we'll be seeing them in the All-Star game alongside Price and Markov.

Who are these people I hear on team990 and this board who think Lapierre is more then a third line center? I like Lapierre a lot, but he is not an offensive guy. If hard work was all you needed then Begin and Kostopolus would lead the team in points.

Andrei K is looking pretty good right now. He is probably the only guy on the Habs who can hit 90 points. I would say Kovalev, but the stars would have to align perfectly which only happens once every 10 years. That means he will be retired when the time comes around again. Plekanec could be a 60-70 point player IMO. He is lacking in confidence a lot this year.

andrei K has the pure ability to score 40 goals but he would need another scorer on his line in order to set up the 50 assists lol

but he is capable

the only other one i see is maybe Pacioretty somwhere down the line, he will be a great power forward

I, honestly, would have though Plekanec had the ability to score around 80 points, but he's proving that he's nowhere near ready for that level of achievement. Andrei Kostitsyn has the potential, I think, to reach 40 goals... But, like some people have mentioned, he would need another scorer on his line to end up with 50 assists. I really don't know if we can look forward to any 90+ point getters in the next several years. I really dont' care either. I would rather have ten 50-60 point getters than one 90+ point getter. :)

In the current roster there are a few with the potential right now, but on their own without others stepping up....nope not yet. Pleks and Andrei with a year like last is probably the two I feel can do it in a couple of years. Pleks thrive in a run and gun system where his speed comes to its right and he doesnt have to grind along the boards. That isnt the Habs game this year and he isnt going to be a grinder. Pleks defence aweraness is very good and thats where his streangth is this season. In the style the habs now use. Kostisyn have the potential in any system but needs to be smarter (not try to whpsy do da day on the off bluline like Kovalev becouse in that area he is far from Kovalev). Its enough to let Kovy do his thing and let Kostisyn try sometimes but not as often as he does right now.

Kovy can muster a season like that but not sure he will again, he needs some other threat with him to let him get a little more space. Then maybe just maybe he can.

The Habs dont have that sheer/pure elite dominant guy in the line up, right now Kovy is probably the most dominant player on the roster when he gets on all his cylinders and have a good season.

I really dont see another clearly dominant player on the roster (beside Price maybe) that have the ability to change momentum on his own in a game on regular basis.

Can Andrei be that player, might but I dont see him doing that yet.

Tanguay, not a chance. I unfortunately think we saw the best he had to offer at the start of the season when he and Saku were on fire.

Well thats a bit unfair. First of all, he's had 4 seasons of around 80 points - he's only played 8 seasons! Plus in the games he and saku "were on fire" - 10 games into the season he (and Koivu) were on pace for 120 points. He has it in him - especially if given an entire year with koivu - & a big body garbage finisher like Lats - but a ) im not sure he has the consistency to do so and b ) I doubt he'll be back to show us, so ultimately its most likely a moot point.

Well thats a bit unfair. First of all, he's had 4 seasons of around 80 points - he's only played 8 seasons! Plus in the games he and saku "were on fire" - 10 games into the season he (and Koivu) were on pace for 120 points. He has it in him - especially if given an entire year with koivu - & a big body garbage finisher like Lats - but a ) im not sure he has the consistency to do so and b ) I doubt he'll be back to show us, so ultimately its most likely a moot point.

I am going to side with Jedi here. I had at the very least believe Tanguay can produce one more 80 point season if not a few more. Unfortunately we struggled out the gate this season and he eventually became injured. If we repair the point shot thus removing our powerplay woes I see Tanguay setting up nicely which is why I hope he is resigned, albeit for less then six million.

All those qualifications just prove my point. He's almost 30 and this is in all likelihood the player he'll be for the remainder of his career. Sure, if he were more consistent, he could hit 90 points, but the same could be said of Kovalev, who's only done it once in his career and that was on a stacked Penguins team playing behind Jagr. But like you say, the point is likely moot, since he probably won't be back next year (and rightfully so).

Really? That's interesting, care to explain why you think Maxwell has that potential?

The one that really jumps out at me is his production in the WHL. A league that the year before the lockout averaged 2.77 goals per game (total between 2 teams, thats a lot of 2-1 games!), while offense has jumped at all levels, the WHL is still widely regarded as a premier defensive/trap league and Maxwell just did:

05-06: 69 GP28/60 (goals/points)

06-07: 39 GP 19/53

He suffered a few fluke injuries that hampered his development, so while it don't think its realistic, if anyone after Andrei has a shot its Ben, but because of his pushed back development, we're looking at 2016-17 or 2017-18 (his age 28 and 29 seasons) for that production to most likely happen.

The scouts say he has all the tools (44th ranked prospect after that 05-06 seasons by CSS), and likely would have been drafted higher if he wasn't deemed fragile, even though his elbow injury was a fluke one.

The one that really jumps out at me is his production in the WHL. A league that the year before the lockout averaged 2.77 goals per game (total between 2 teams, thats a lot of 2-1 games!), while offense has jumped at all levels, the WHL is still widely regarded as a premier defensive/trap league and Maxwell just did:

05-06: 69 GP28/60 (goals/points)

06-07: 39 GP 19/53

He suffered a few fluke injuries that hampered his development, so while it don't think its realistic, if anyone after Andrei has a shot its Ben, but because of his pushed back development, we're looking at 2016-17 or 2017-18 (his age 28 and 29 seasons) for that production to most likely happen.

The scouts say he has all the tools (44th ranked prospect after that 05-06 seasons by CSS), and likely would have been drafted higher if he wasn't deemed fragile, even though his elbow injury was a fluke one.

Interesting to know. I must admit I know very little about the WHL, so what you're saying makes me more sanguine about Maxwell as a prospect.

Maxwell was playing very well with the Habs until he was put on a line with Steve Begin.

'Very well' is a bit of an overstatement. He did serviceably in his role, but it's not like he was scoring at a torrid pace or anything. In any case, it's way too small a sample to assess him one way or another. He'll get a better shot next season.

Archived