The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pats Burns Again Diagnosed With Cancer

According to La Presse, former NHL head coach Pat Burns has been diagnosed with cancer for a third time.

The report indicates Burns was told of the news earlier this month when he returned from the World Junior Hockey Championship in Ottawa.

With his two previous bouts with cancer, Burns has elected to undergo chemotherapy but, according to La Presse, he has chosen not to go that route this time and has not said what medical treatment he would take.

Burns was an NHL head coach for 14 seasons, including stints with the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and New Jersey Devils. He guided the Devils to a Stanley Cup victory in 2003.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264099

Chemotherapy is a heck of a treatment as it reduces the quality of life while being undertaken. In many cases the complications caused by chemotherapy ultimately kills the patient not the cancer. Though his decision most likely decreases the liklihood of his cancer going into remission again I can understand his reluctance to undergo the treatment a 3rd time.

This time around Pat Burns has lung cancer

The 56-year-old Burns told Montreal La Presse he has lung cancer.

Burns had colon cancer in 2004 and liver cancer in 2005.

Burns had chemotherapy treatments the first two times he had cancer, but said he hasn't yet decided on what treatment he'll have this time. "I haven't given up," Burns said. "I fight, as I've always done, but in a different way. Obviously, I hope a cure is found eventually."

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=405644

• 2 weeks later...

Archived