The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Players We Let Walk

GreekHockeyCoach

I was just reading the thread about the worst trades in Habs history and I thought about creating this thread to get everyone's views.

Who were the best players in Habs history that we let walk out our door without trying to sign them. In most recent memory, we have Souray, Ryder and Streit that all stick out.

Who else have we let walk that comes to mind that you feel was a mistake?

Not signing Streit this past summer, of course, is starting to look "regrettable". He could have been had for $3.25-$3.50MM, IMO. I am not certain his defense is all that bad. He's playing 17.5MPG EV + 2.5MPG SH + 5MPG = 25<PG Total for Islanders this season (and that's a lot), and is the leading defenseman in the League in PP points at 22 (Markov is tied for 2nd with 20). And Streit is only a -3 on a poor team, second best amongst defensemen on his the Islanders. Note: Steit can't be getting only the soft EV strength assignments if he is racking up 17MPG on EV.

Habs 'saved' his salary in order to put Brisebois/O'Byrne in the line-up, and spend some on Laraque. All that has not really worked out too well, in hind sight, unfortunately. Now he may be forced to give up prospects and picks to secure Kaberle at the trade deadline, whose salary is even higher than Streit could have been signed for. Kaberle did lead the League amongst defensemen in PP points 3 seasons ago, although most would probably say he's lost a step since. On the other hand, maybe he just needs a fresh start.

I can certainly see BG doing something on this front by the trade deadline. The Habs # 1 fall-off this season is very clearly the PP, and the two main reasons for this is lack of success in gaining the zone with puck possession, and useful shots getting through from the point.

Streit, ostensibly, cold have been an ideal mentor for Weber, as he made his way onto the Habs defense roster, and maybe replaced him for less $ at the end of a three-year Streit contract.

Oh, well.

Oh good point! I totally miss Bonkers. Yes Lang is 100 times better than him, but Bonk Purportedly enjoyed montreal & would have signed a 2 year deal worth $1m a season. thats less than Steve Begin. Could we not have used him on the 4th line/PK? He was easily the best forward we've had on the PK (positionally, at least) in over a decade. If he were teamed up with Lapierre this season we'd have one of the best PK's in the league, MMW.

I actually liked Bonk a lot... He didn't end up being the offensive threat everyone thought when he 1st got into the NHL. I feel that Carbo and BG did a good job turning him into a defensive forward. He seemed to excel once the Habs picked up Johnson, I was shocked when they let both those guys go. They both seemed to like playing in Montreal.

What a waste that was... As for Sheldon, he was very honest about moving on.

Chelios, he had to go. He was causing problems in Montreal's night life, drugs getting into fights etc...

Not signing Streit this past summer, of course, is starting to look "regrettable". He could have been had for $3.25-$3.50MM, IMO. I am not certain his defense is all that bad. He's playing 17.5MPG EV + 2.5MPG SH + 5MPG = 25<PG Total for Islanders this season (and that's a lot), and is the leading defenseman in the League in PP points at 22 (Markov is tied for 2nd with 20). And Streit is only a -3 on a poor team, second best amongst defensemen on his the Islanders. Note: Steit can't be getting only the soft EV strength assignments if he is racking up 17MPG on EV.

Habs 'saved' his salary in order to put Brisebois/O'Byrne in the line-up, and spend some on Laraque. All that has not really worked out too well, in hind sight, unfortunately. Now he may be forced to give up prospects and picks to secure Kaberle at the trade deadline, whose salary is even higher than Streit could have been signed for. Kaberle did lead the League amongst defensemen in PP points 3 seasons ago, although most would probably say he's lost a step since. On the other hand, maybe he just needs a fresh start.

I can certainly see BG doing something on this front by the trade deadline. The Habs # 1 fall-off this season is very clearly the PP, and the two main reasons for this is lack of success in gaining the zone with puck possession, and useful shots getting through from the point.

Streit, ostensibly, cold have been an ideal mentor for Weber, as he made his way onto the Habs defense roster, and maybe replaced him for less $ at the end of a three-year Streit contract.

Oh, well.

My only issue with Streit, was his lack of speed. Many times he got caught coming back, which is key for a d-man.

No matter how you slice it or dice it, letting Tony Esposito essentially walk - get claimed by Chicago off the waiver draft, was horrible, and only Ken Dryden saved them from that boner!

Not sure that's 100% correct, I'm pretty sure we drafted Tony. He played his first game for us against his brother, who scored the only 2 goals he allowed that night. He spent only 1/2 the season with us before the Habs decided to go with Dryden. I don't know how the waivers worked back then, but he was essentially a rookie. I doubt we would've had to clear waivers with him, we could've sent him down to the minors without worrying about waivers.

To be honest, Tony was a great goalie as well. I'm pretty sure if we'd of kept Tony, we would've been just as dangerous. Dryden was excellent, but don't forget who his d-men were... Savard, Lapointe, Robinson, etc... They're not known as the big 3 for nothing.

It would be interesting to know how he would've done for us. He had an excellent career on a weaker team. We probably would've had him up until Roy came around. We lost Dryden once he finished his studies at McGill. Tony retired around the mid to early 80's.

Not sure that's 100% correct, I'm pretty sure we drafted Tony. He played his first game for us against his brother, who scored the only 2 goals he allowed that night. He spent only 1/2 the season with us before the Habs decided to go with Dryden. I don't know how the waivers worked back then, but he was essentially a rookie. I doubt we would've had to clear waivers with him, we could've sent him down to the minors without worrying about waivers.

To be honest, Tony was a great goalie as well. I'm pretty sure if we'd of kept Tony, we would've been just as dangerous. Dryden was excellent, but don't forget who his d-men were... Savard, Lapointe, Robinson, etc... They're not known as the big 3 for nothing.

It would be interesting to know how he would've done for us. He had an excellent career on a weaker team. We probably would've had him up until Roy came around. We lost Dryden once he finished his studies at McGill. Tony retired around the mid to early 80's.

Hmmmm, after posting I decided to surf the net looking for info on Tony. I'm almost positive he played his 1st NHL game with the Habs and they faced his brother and the Blackhawks. It says on the net, that theyacquired Tony as a free-agent from the Clevland AHL team.

This is from the Habs site.

Signed as a free agent by Montreal (Cleveland-AHL), September 29, 1967. Loaned to Vancouver (WHL) by Montreal for cash, October, 1967. Claimed by Chicago from Montreal in Intra-League Draft, June 11, 1969.

Not sure what the intra-League Draft was... Maybe something to do with the expansion, but wasn't the 1st expansion in 67 (Blues, Pens, Colorado, Sabres)?

http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/player/Tony-Esposito

Archived