Ryan McDonagh / 1989 / 12th in 2007 / 2010-2011

Mathieu Carle / 1987 / 53rd in 2006 / Never

PK Subban / 1989 / 43rd in 2007 / 2011-2012

Alexei Yemelin / 1986 / 84th in 2004 / Never

Joe Stejskal / 1988 / 133rd in 2007 / Never

Scott Kishel / 1989 / 192nd in 2007 / Never

Greg Pateryn / 1990 / 128th in 2008 / Never

My analysis:

I noticed that not many D-men were drafted in 2008, perhaps the organization is satisfied with their D prospect pool and will be focused on drafting forwards now for a few years, and it does seem like we have enough guys. The following from here is likely going to be wrong if only due to the fact there will be trades, but I think assuming the default scenario is kinda fun regardless.

I predict that for 2009-2010 we'll have:

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

Josh Gorges

Komisarek or Komisarek UFA replacement

1 of Dandeneault/Bouillon/Brisebois brought back on 1 year contract

Ryan O'Byrne

Yannick Weber

I predict that for 2010-2011 we'll have:

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

Josh Gorges

Komisarek or Komisarek UFA replacement

Ryan O'Byrne

Yannick Weber

1 of Torp, Fischer or McDonagh

Then for 2010-2011 we'll see the new defense corps made up en bulk by the prospects we're currently excited about... Hamrlik will either be gone or be in as an aging veteran 7th D, and probably one of Gorges or O'Byrne will be let go, opening two top-6 spots for Torp, Fischer, McDonagh and Subban and probably the 7th spot. A lot of good prospects with intense competition all the way through.

2012-2016 - Habs have the best defense in the NHL, with Carey Price who will be in his prime backing them up. Fans love their D at that point and find themselves making projections of the 2020-2024 offense.

Whose our #1 and #3 in the 11-12 season?

Its an issue I bring up repeatedly yet nobody has an answer too.

I think they'll need to resign Markov and Komisarek at their respective times, or pay big bucks for UFA "equivalents".

Lots of possibilities for number 3 that year... the 2nd pairing could be Gorges-Fischer, for example.

Awesome Gorges and a 2nd year Fischer is our top 4.....

With 3 years of NCAA and 2 years of AHL, or 4 and 1, he should be pretty advanced in his development by the time his second NHL season comes around.

Gorges is already a top-4.

O'Byrne if gainey makes a move at deadline he could be gone. I also know for fact he does not like playing in Montreal. Now that might change he was really pissed with being sent back down when the comment was made. Kemp and Belle showing promise, down here also.

:huh: Since when?

off the record a couple weeks ago. I am invested in a club and fine dinning restraunt here In Hamilton. One of the top clubs and hosted the Calder cup party after the winning game. Of course being young and a few drinks in him at the time, might have just been blowing off steam. He is playing well down here but overall does not seem to be happy.

off the record a couple weeks ago. I am invested in a club and fine dinning restraunt here In Hamilton. One of the top clubs and hosted the Calder cup party after the winning game. Of course being young and a few drinks in him at the time, might have just been blowing off steam. He is playing well down here but overall does not seem to be happy.

Is that how you know he was pissed? And what comment were you referring to?

Whose our #1 and #3 in the 11-12 season?

Its an issue I bring up repeatedly yet nobody has an answer too.

I agree with you, this is something we have to address. And it's also why acquiring a guy like Bouwmeester, then signing him to a five-year deal, would be a great move for both the present and the future, since he'd still be under contract when Markov and Hamrlik's contracts expire.

People are being waaaaay too optimistic about our D prospects being ready for top-four duties by 2011-12. Subtracting the current season, it's only two seasons away and that is not nearly enough time for guys like Fischer, McDonagh, Carle, O'Byrne, Subban, and Weber to be ready to carry the load. Remember, it's one thing to slot a good young D prospect into an established blue line corps and give him limited minutes while he learns his craft at the NHL level. It's another thing altogether to make him your no. 1 or no. 2 d-man, which basically means he's the go-to guy, the player who matches up against the Ovechkins of the league night after night, plays big minutes in all situations, etc.

Our D situation dictates that we make a huge effort to re-sign Komisarek to a long-term deal (4-5 years) so that we have veteran experience under contract when Markov and Hamrlik next become UFAs (Hamrlik won't be back, unless on Brisebois-type 1-year deals; Markov may sign a three-year deal, but we can't take anything for granted).

I agree with you, this is something we have to address. And it's also why acquiring a guy like Bouwmeester, then signing him to a five-year deal, would be a great move for both the present and the future, since he'd still be under contract when Markov and Hamrlik's contracts expire.

People are being waaaaay too optimistic about our D prospects being ready for top-four duties by 2011-12. Subtracting the current season, it's only two seasons away and that is not nearly enough time for guys like Fischer, McDonagh, Carle, O'Byrne, Subban, and Weber to be ready to carry the load. Remember, it's one thing to slot a good young D prospect into an established blue line corps and give him limited minutes while he learns his craft at the NHL level. It's another thing altogether to make him your no. 1 or no. 2 d-man, which basically means he's the go-to guy, the player who matches up against the Ovechkins of the league night after night, plays big minutes in all situations, etc.

Our D situation dictates that we make a huge effort to re-sign Komisarek to a long-term deal (4-5 years) so that we have veteran experience under contract when Markov and Hamrlik next become UFAs (Hamrlik won't be back, unless on Brisebois-type 1-year deals; Markov may sign a three-year deal, but we can't take anything for granted).

I dunno about Boumeester, if we sign Komisarek we'll have around 20 mil between our top 4, a name that I've brought up here before is Matt Greene of LA, I think he would be a good fit.

I think Obryne has a chance to be somewhat ready, but like I keep repeating, he won't be if you don't get him in the NHL. (and I know your beefs with Carbo already)

I dunno about Boumeester, if we sign Komisarek we'll have around 20 mil between our top 4, a name that I've brought up here before is Matt Greene of LA, I think he would be a good fit.

If we were able to sign Bouwmeester, we could package Hamrlik in a trade this summer. But I'd be happy if we just signed Komisarek to a long-term deal. I don't know Greene well enough to say one way or another.

I think Obryne has a chance to be somewhat ready, but like I keep repeating, he won't be if you don't get him in the NHL. (and I know your beefs with Carbo already)

I'm hoping that the next permanent D callup from the AHL -- whether it's O'Byrne, Weber, or someone else -- gets handled a bit more intelligently than we did with O'Byrne last time around. I too think O'Byrne has a chance to be somewhat ready by the time Markov and Hamrlik's contracts expire, but it all depends on whether we develop him properly. We'll see, I guess.

If we were able to sign Bouwmeester, we could package Hamrlik in a trade this summer. But I'd be happy if we just signed Komisarek to a long-term deal. I don't know Greene well enough to say one way or another.

I'm hoping that the next permanent D callup from the AHL -- whether it's O'Byrne, Weber, or someone else -- gets handled a bit more intelligently than we did with O'Byrne last time around. I too think O'Byrne has a chance to be somewhat ready by the time Markov and Hamrlik's contracts expire, but it all depends on whether we develop him properly. We'll see, I guess.

I wouldn't be crazy about trading Hamrlik at this point, with the ways hes playing it would most likely be a salary eat IF anyone is willing to eat 5.5 for an above-average dman.

I think signing Beauchemin is a better route if anything.

Archived