The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

All Star Suspension

Mauro-Biello

All Star Game Suspensions  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with suspending players who skip the ASG?

• y
    • NO!!!!!!!!!!

It's a legal question really: is there something in the CBA that says their contracts include showing up to the All Star Game? I assume in the CBA or their contract or somewhere it does. In which case, players should need to be legitimately injured to skip it, and the NHLs method of saying if player's are injured is if they miss the game before or after the All Star Game (what are the odds that a player is healthy before the All Star break, injured, then healthy the game after the break?

Some will say "well Crosby was good enough to play in the last game, but not 100% so wants to skip the game". However, if it is part of their contract, if they are healthy enough to play in a regular game, they should be healthy enough to play in the All Star Game.

When you are a member of a union, you gain the benefits as well as the obligations of membership. The NHL and the NHLPA have outlined this clause, so nobody has a right to complain when that clause is invoked. The contractual obligation comes when the player decided not to participate with the knowledge that they will not be eligible to play in their team's next game. It's the equivalent of using the all star game as an excuse to play hooky instead of hockey.

It's the one time a year the star players should give back to the fans, and if they "don't want to", well, then make 'em. ;)

I agree 100% with some sort of "encouragement" for those that need it.

Heck, it's not the toughest week-end of the year. Want / need some more "family time"? Ya, tell that to those that serve us all in the armed forces, etc.

I can just see the CEO of "The ACME Public Company" saying, I don't want to go to the Annual General meeting of the Shareholders. :rolleyes::lol: He'd / she'd get his/her backside fired so fast, it'd make your head spin.

Well this just got interesting....

Due to the suspensions to Datsyuk and Lidtsrom and the injuries to Brad Stuart and Johan Franzen, tomorrow night Detroit will ice 18 players in a divisional matchup vs Columbus!!

Because a suspended player still counts against the cap, Detroit cannot call up any players to replace the two. There are rumors that Detroit may in fact forfeit the game.

Due to the suspensions to Datsyuk and Lidtsrom and the injuries to Brad Stuart and Johan Franzen, tomorrow night Detroit will ice 18 players in a divisional matchup vs Columbus!!

Because a suspended player still counts against the cap, Detroit cannot call up any players to replace the two. There are rumors that Detroit may in fact forfeit the game.

Those 2 players should of just gone then, considering the outcome. Their actions of not wanting to interact with their fans will hurt their team.

I think the league should have a rule in place. Maybe not suspension, but fining them. The players are selected by the fans, and I guess the league believes a player should show when the fans want them too. Basically ownerships way of saying that these players wouldnt have a job if it werent for the fans, so the least they can do is show up for this 1 game and put on a dog and pony act to show they thank the fans for their support. If they arent hurt, sick or have a reasonable excuse (Like Luongo last year. Pregnant wife and not able to spend any time with her considering the distance. As a fan, I can respect that. But just not wanting to go?) then they really dont have an excuse.

Now if they have no intention of going, they should tell the NHL to take their names off the ballotts. And advise the NHL to not to have them picked as alternates.

Those 2 players should of just gone then, considering the outcome. Their actions of not wanting to interact with their fans will hurt their team.

I think the league should have a rule in place. Maybe not suspension, but fining them. The players are selected by the fans, and I guess the league believes a player should show when the fans want them too. Basically ownerships way of saying that these players wouldnt have a job if it werent for the fans, so the least they can do is show up for this 1 game and put on a dog and pony act to show they thank the fans for their support. If they arent hurt, sick or have a reasonable excuse (Like Luongo last year. Pregnant wife and not able to spend any time with her considering the distance. As a fan, I can respect that. But just not wanting to go?) then they really dont have an excuse.

Now if they have no intention of going, they should tell the NHL to take their names off the ballotts. And advise the NHL to not to have them picked as alternates.

Rule's in place. "If you're injured you can still show-up; otherwise you must be so bad you should at least one real game." Detroit GM Holland supports them not going; he's behind it as much as anyone -- hence, the team has to be penalized (go without the players).

Forfeit in what sense? Meaning, forfeit the game in some sort of protest? Or forfeit because they don't have enough bodies to fill the minimum requirements for an NHL lineup?

If it's the former, that's just silly. If it's the latter, I just can't see it happening. They could simply dress an injured player who hasn't been placed on the IR and not play him. Heck, for that matter, they could sign some joe schmo for 5 bucks to bench warm for the game. Washington already did something similar this year when they had issues getting a backup goalie in time (although they did need special permission from the league). Would be interesting if the NHL granted Detroit that permission in this case. :lol:

I know you're not saying it's likely yo happen, but that's my take on it. I'm glad the NHL took a stand on this.

I believe each situation should be handled on a csae-by-case scenario. If Datsyuk and Lidstrom were, indeed, too injured to play at the game, and really did need downtime to recouperate, then I don't believe they should have been suspended. If they were well enough to attend, then they should have attended the weekend's events (Even if it was in the same capacity as Crosby). These players are paid millions and millions of dollars. For them not to give back during the All-star game weekend, if they are able to, is silly.

When you are a member of a union, you gain the benefits as well as the obligations of membership. The NHL and the NHLPA have outlined this clause, so nobody has a right to complain when that clause is invoked. The contractual obligation comes when the player decided not to participate with the knowledge that they will not be eligible to play in their team's next game. It's the equivalent of using the all star game as an excuse to play hooky instead of hockey.

Well said.

I never heard those rumours, but it would not make sense to forfeit a game intentionally just because you are unhappy with a league decision. Can you imagine the fine they would get if they were to forfeit?

Riocchet, well done sir, imo, you hit the nail on the head ! All I know is that according to the CBA that our plant had, I was required to work the last scheduled shift before and the next scheduled after a statuatory holiday. If I failed to work either or both of those shifts, I was required to produce a Doctors note, showing that I was under a doctors care, and unavailable for work. My failure to produce a doctors note, would result in me losing my holiday pay. As the NHL and the NHLPA have an agreement in place re: the allstar game, both management and the union knew going in exactly what was at risk by deciding to not play, or at least attend, the allstar game.

This allstar game situation is made even more unusual, because in this case, you have BOTH team management, and the NHLPA, on the same side, arguing their case to the NHL. The odds that in a similar situation for me, I would have both my union, and plant management, arguing together on my behalf against the head office, well,

the leafs would win a stanley cup before THAT happened !!! But in this case, we had to listen to an indignant Mike Babcock, going on about the injustice of the situation.

Just an aside, you will note that I mentioned the CBA our plant HAD. Thats because our plant, a large multi-national rubber company, (that shall remain nameless) was closed in late 2007, so after a good 32 years of service, I was put out to pasture !!! We did get a fair settlement, it might even be said i had a goodyear.

Riocchet, well done sir, imo, you hit the nail on the head ! All I know is that according to the CBA that our plant had, I was required to work the last scheduled shift before and the next scheduled after a statuatory holiday. If I failed to work either or both of those shifts, I was required to produce a Doctors note, showing that I was under a doctors care, and unavailable for work. My failure to produce a doctors note, would result in me losing my holiday pay. As the NHL and the NHLPA have an agreement in place re: the allstar game, both management and the union knew going in exactly what was at risk by deciding to not play, or at least attend, the allstar game.

This allstar game situation is made even more unusual, because in this case, you have BOTH team management, and the NHLPA, on the same side, arguing their case to the NHL. The odds that in a similar situation for me, I would have both my union, and plant management, arguing together on my behalf against the head office, well, the leafs would win a stanley cup before THAT happened !!!

But in this case, we had to listen to an indignant Mike Babcock, going on about the injustice of the situation.

Just an aside, you will note that I mentioned the CBA our plant HAD. Thats because our plant, a rather large multi-national rubber company, (that shall remain nameless)

was closed in late 2007, so after a good 32 years of service, I was put out to pasture !!! We did get a fair settlement, some might say I've had a.......goodyear.

QFT!

When your apart of a professional sports organization, it is your duty to show up to promotional events and other league hosted events. These people make millions of dollars, even when they are injured, so hopping a first class flight to Montreal to spend the weekends being treated like a rock star isn't that hard to accomplish unless your nursing a broken back. So here's to Bettman finally doing something right. Next thing we need to fix, is people like Selanne, Neidermeyer, and Forsberg, trying to sign an NHL contract 50+ games into a season. There should be rule where you cannot sign a contract with a team past a certain date.

For an injury, sickness or family emergency then I'd say no.

But just skipping it, I think a suspension is warrented.

As fans, we dump thousands of dollars into tickets, merchandise, etc., etc., we pay these guys' sallary.

The least they can do is show up at a fan event like this and give the fans the opportunity to see them.

It's also part of their job description. The All Star game has been around for ages.

Archived