The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl Draft System

I truly think if the NHL put a slot system into the draft, we would start seeing some sort of increase in the # of Americans who enter.

The NCAA is such a great development league, but we need more players.

The only part of that post I understood is "The NCAA is such a great development league".

What do you mean by slot? Any registered hockey player in the world turning 18 that year selected by random number generator?

More players... you mean the Habs need more prospects? Or do you mean more prospects in the NCAA? I don't think either statement makes sense and so I'm not sure what you meant.

The only part of that post I understood is "The NCAA is such a great development league".

What do you mean by slot? Any registered hockey player in the world turning 18 that year selected by random number generator?

More players... you mean the Habs need more prospects? Or do you mean more prospects in the NCAA? I don't think either statement makes sense and so I'm not sure what you meant.

Slotting system is a way of paying bonuses right out of the draft, which at least to my recollection, the NHL only lets on entry contracts.

I can't find a wiki on it, but its essentially the system the MLB and NFL run on. Players who try basketball can make it to the pros right out of college a good % of the time, the NFL as well, MLB they have a few years to wait but in the latter 2 they get a bonus depending on their draft position.

Slotting system is a way of paying bonuses right out of the draft, which at least to my recollection, the NHL only lets on entry contracts.

I can't find a wiki on it, but its essentially the system the MLB and NFL run on. Players who try basketball can make it to the pros right out of college a good % of the time, the NFL as well, MLB they have a few years to wait but in the latter 2 they get a bonus depending on their draft position.

Slotting, the way the National Football League uses it, is a way of gauging a player's contract based on the draft market. For instance, if a player picked, say, 10th overall in the first round of the draft signs for, say $5 million, that means players below him will be signed for less if they haven't already signed. In the NFL, the top draft choices usually wait until the last minute to sign or sometimes hold out from training camp to get a big payday. In theory, should the top draft choice overall sign first, everyone below him will be signed to a lesser contract in descending pay scale based on his draft position. But it really doesn't happen that way.

The challenge for the player and agent is to try to "beat the system" and get as much money as they can. It is not so easy in sports with salary caps like the NFL and NHL.

I know this is 1989 that this story was written, but it still holds true today, and there are some who want it to be written into the rules for drafting in the NFL, to help less competitive teams sign better players, by making it so rookies who haven't proven themselves cannot get a huge salary.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...;pagewanted=all

There is a de facto salary slotting system in pro football right now, and some, like Bill Polian, want it to be permanent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=32...&type=story

Baseball is also trying to get a slotted salary system, even though it has a so-called luxury tax and not a hard salary cap. Read here at:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...3dgammons_peter

Slotting, the way the National Football League uses it, is a way of gauging a player's contract based on the draft market. For instance, if a player picked, say, 10th overall in the first round of the draft signs for, say $5 million, that means players below him will be signed for less if they haven't already signed. In the NFL, the top draft choices usually wait until the last minute to sign or sometimes hold out from training camp to get a big payday. In theory, should the top draft choice overall sign first, everyone below him will be signed to a lesser contract in descending pay scale based on his draft position. But it really doesn't happen that way.

The challenge for the player and agent is to try to "beat the system" and get as much money as they can. It is not so easy in sports with salary caps like the NFL and NHL.

What I'm trying to say is, if the players get some kind of bonus out of college, they may be more enticed to declare for the draft.

Archived