The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Red's Best Of The Best

Lynch_mtl

The great Red Fisher came out with a series Best of the Best. He made some interesting choices, and some controversial choices. Here they are:

General manager: Sam Pollock

Coach: Toe Blake

Goalie: Jacques Plante

Defenceman: Doug Harvey

Centre: Jean Béliveau

Right-winger: Guy Lafleur

Left-winger: Dickie Moore

Comeback: 7-5 win over Boston in Game 2 of 1971 playoff

series.

Playoff game: Game 3 of 1961 Stanley Cup final, which Chicago won 2-1 in triple overtime.

Team: 1959-60 Canadiens

Also: The Most Underrated player: Peter Mahovlich

So what do you think? Where's the team of 76-77? Where's Maurice Richard? What about the comeback against New York last season? Scotty Bowman? Ken Dryden? Patrick Roy? Do you guys agree?

im really fed up of red fisher. his time has passed. all i ever read from him is how everything was much better back in his day. im fed up of it.

we are all happy for you red, we get it you saw the habs win 5 straight cups, but enough already, stop bashing the present and embrace it....cause we kind of like it.

Where exactly did that "bash the present"? Those are Red's personal favorites. I'm sure if you posted yours, you'd get many who disagreed with you as well.

Where exactly did that "bash the present"? Those are Red's personal favorites. I'm sure if you posted yours, you'd get many who disagreed with you as well.

do you get the montreal gazette?

every second week there is an article from him comparing his day to ours.

" the forum was much better than the bell centre, that was real passion..."

"the all star game of today sucks, it was better 30 years ago.." sure he might have a point, but its the same thing over and over from him. he also isnt a nice guy in person, i once ran in to him in the subway after a game , i wanted to take a picture with him but the man ignored me! he wouldnt even acknowledge my greeting.

anyway, i do enjoy his articles on our legends.

The New York comeback last year isn't our best game, not only wasn't it a good game for the most part, but it wasn't even significant. It was cool, but it meant nothing. And it shouldn't have been in the hundredth anniversary DVD set, geez the amount of meaningless games that got into that was appalling.

Anyway, I think his team is good, only I'd replace Lafleur with Richard. In terms of goalscoring, Richard dominated his era more than Lafleur did his. Plus a guy like that can really motivate your team.

im really fed up of red fisher. his time has passed. all i ever read from him is how everything was much better back in his day. im fed up of it.

we are all happy for you red, we get it you saw the habs win 5 straight cups, but enough already, stop bashing the present and embrace it....cause we kind of like it.

I could not agree more. $0 - 50 yrs ago the game the dollars the sill was not the same.

Well it was

Maybe but like I said not the same game. Most great one's even in their prime from 50 yrs ago. Could not keep pace in todays league. I am an old timer. Every player in the world now wants the 600 spots.

50 or 60 yrs ago was North american guys. Never mind equipment sticks skates etc now.

edited I can rember Eddy Shack having a smoke and beer between periods. On the other hand those guys in their prime now beat the bark off half the pussies in the league now.

Can you imagine Gordie's reaction when asked about taking fighting and elbows out of the game. You might have got an elbow right there.

Those where the days of some real rough dirty hockey.

Maybe but like I said not the same game. Most great one's even in their prime from 50 yrs ago. Could not keep pace in todays league............

Of course, but the game, technology, equiopment and training has evolved .

It would be interesting to see the players from 20, 30, 40 yrs ago in today's game , with the advantages the player's of today have

ANyway Red's been around a while, and has seen more of the game than most of us so he 's earned the right to make the comparison he did .

Would the OP feel better if it was Dick Irvine makimng the comparison

The New York comeback last year isn't our best game, not only wasn't it a good game for the most part, but it wasn't even significant. It was cool, but it meant nothing. And it shouldn't have been in the hundredth anniversary DVD set, geez the amount of meaningless games that got into that was appalling.

Anyway, I think his team is good, only I'd replace Lafleur with Richard. In terms of goalscoring, Richard dominated his era more than Lafleur did his. Plus a guy like that can really motivate your team.

It was a pretty good box set in my opinion. The only questionable game was the game against New York last year. All of the other games had some historical significance, though I would have liked to have seen another game from the 60's and the "forgotten" dynasty. As for Red Fisher he's not one of my favorite Gazette columnists in fact I agree with SteveSaku the guy's a real a-hole.

It just makes me mad that there was a grand total of one game that had Maurice Richard or Jean Beliveau in it. Richard at his oldest and worst, and Beliveau just a rookie so he only scores twice. They should've put the game where Richard scored five against Toronto. Or one from the series in 70-71 where Dryden shutout the Bruins nearly the while series. Love the Bruins games though.

It just makes me mad that there was a grand total of one game that had Maurice Richard or Jean Beliveau in it. Richard at his oldest and worst, and Beliveau just a rookie so he only scores twice. They should've put the game where Richard scored five against Toronto. Or one from the series in 70-71 where Dryden shutout the Bruins nearly the while series. Love the Bruins games though.

it was a poll. the fans chose which games made it to the boxset.

there wasnt much to choose from..maybe they didnt have the games in good enough quality to merit consideration.

Of course, but the game, technology, equiopment and training has evolved .

It would be interesting to see the players from 20, 30, 40 yrs ago in today's game , with the advantages the player's of today have

ANyway Red's been around a while, and has seen more of the game than most of us so he 's earned the right to make the comparison he did .

Would the OP feel better if it was Dick Irvine makimng the comparison

Just looking for opinions, and conversation. I thought they were some interesting points. Would you feel better if it was Dick Irvine making the comparison? Maybe a mod should change the title to "complain about Red board".

Yeah I agree I would have liked to have seen more games with the Rocket or Beliveau as well. The Rocket's 5 goal game would have been great, unfortunately the games where Dydren played weren't his best I would have liked to have seen a game from the 70-71 playoffs too.

Getting back on topic, how the heck can anyone pick Lafleur over Richard?? Don't get me wrong I love Lafleur he's one of my favorite Habs of all time but to have a list of the best Habs and not have Richard on that list is nothing short of blasphemy.

Also, I wouldn't pick Moore at LW Steve Shutt was the best Canadiens left winger in my opinion.

Archived