The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

How Great Is Gainey

tino007

i am a huge huge habs fan ,born in montreal and now live in edmonton

i feel i know lots about hockey

there are a few thing i want to rant about

1. i love and respect gainey but really , how great is he he let souray,streit ,ryder ,ribeiro go for nothing and they are all good players

why wouldnt you try to resign some guys and if they dont want to resign then trade them before the deadline

i would have loved to have received probably 3 players for souray (probably a good roster player and 2 good prospects) his value was huge last deadline

do u want to keep them for a run or do you want to get something in return ??

then when i was expecting him to make some good trades to improve the team the last couple of deadlines (specifically 2 years ago ,he did nothing)

i like obyrne but he is not going to take us over the top

we need a few things ,we need toughness on defence (like with witt or richard jackman ,somebody who will take a guys head off ) we only have komo and bouillion is pretty tough but small

and i think we need to hit a grand slam or at least a home run with someone like kovalchuk

offer chipchura, obyrne , a first round pick ,plekanec or higgins (i like both guys but you have to give up something ) and maybe ryan mcdonagh (he didnt overly impress me at the world juniors)or even gorges

i bet you atlanta would do that ,4 or 5 players for kovalchuk ,we need someone who is dynamic like that

we have enough good prospects to hit a homerun

you add kovulchuk and witt or jackman maybe boumeester(it would cost a lot for him) ,man what a team we would have

it could be done

we got kovalev a few years back for nothing ,josef balej and a 2nd round pick ,big deal thats nothing for a very good player

we need a tough defenseman first ,the other teams come in our zone and have an easy time

we need a tough tough defense if we plan to win the cup

i dont want to trade a lot of players for rental players , i think we could swing a couple of deals for guys under contract

if we give up chip ,o byrne , draft picks , no big deal , i dont care what any one says ,chipchura is not fast ,not really strong ,he barely hits ,he doesnt put up points

we have dagostini ,pacioretty ,cristo , there is no room for chip

I agree with you tino007 . i really think we should make a trade and try to get one of the best players in the league ( kovalchuk , lecavalier , etc ... ur choice ) ... as for the defence I think we should try to get boumesteer . There is also one player that is outside the NHL that we could try to sign and that person is Alexei Morozov . He's really good , and at the world Championships he impressed me , has changed very much since he left the NHL to go play in russia .

so my players to exchange could be ... Plekanec , Higgins , 5 or 6 draft picks , O'Byrne , Begin , Maxwell , Dandenault , and maybe others i'm forgeting for the moment .

i wish we will get one of these 4 magnific players : Lecavalier , Kovalchuk , Morozov ( we can sign him no trade ) or Boumesteer :DB)

i am a huge huge habs fan ,born in montreal and now live in edmonton

i feel i know lots about hockey

there are a few thing i want to rant about

1. i love and respect gainey but really , how great is he

he let souray,streit , ryder ,ribeiro and huet go for nothing and they are all good players , i thought huet was worth way more than a second round pick

why wouldnt you try to resign some guys and if they dont want to resign then trade them before the deadline

i would have loved to have received probably 3 players for souray (probably a good roster player and 2 good prospects) his value was huge at the deadline

do u want to keep them for a run or do you want to get something in return ??

then when i was expecting him to make some good trades to improve the team the last couple of deadlines (specifically 2 years ago ,he did nothing)

i like obyrne but he is not going to take us over the top

we need a few things ,we need toughness on defence (like with witt or richard jackman ,somebody who will take a guys head off ) we only have komo and bouillion is pretty tough but small

and i think we need to hit a grand slam or at least a home run with someone like kovalchuk

offer chipchura, obyrne , a first round pick ,plekanec or higgins (i like both guys but you have to give up something ) and maybe ryan mcdonagh (he didnt overly impress me at the world juniors)or even gorges

i bet you atlanta would do that ,4 or 5 players for kovalchuk ,we need someone who is dynamic like that

we have enough good prospects to hit a homerun

you add kovulchuk and witt or jackman maybe boumeester(it would cost a lot for him) ,man what a team we would have

it could be done

we got kovalev a few years back for nothing ,josef balej and a 2nd round pick ,big deal thats nothing for a very good player

we need a tough defenseman first ,the other teams come in our zone and have an easy time

we need a tough tough defense if we plan to win the cup

i dont want to trade a lot of players for rental players , i think we could swing a couple of deals for guys under contract

if we give up chip ,o byrne , draft picks , no big deal , i dont care what any one says ,chipchura is not fast ,not really strong ,he barely hits ,he doesnt put up points

we have dagostini ,pacioretty ,cristo ,stewart (good body checker) , there is no room for chip

we are a little soft overall

There's already a BG thread but anyway here are my comments

BG did try to resign Sheldon . He chose not to sign with the Habs , so the Habs jumped on Hamrlik before he signed elsewhere

Do you really think Streit and Ryder are worth $ 4 m / year for 4 / 5 yrs ?

Ribiero .....just didn't fit in with the Habs anymore

For those of the above that were going to be UFA's , BG had a choice :

- keep them and try to make the playoffs ( the yr of Sheldon )

- do well with them when you are in the PO's ( Ryder and Streit )

- or trade them before the PO's , considering they were all going to be UFA's what asset do you really think BG would have rec'd .....a couple of late round draft picks?

How do we know BG isn't trying to make trades?

You need to find someone who is willing to trade and then both teams need to have cap space .

Lots of people want the Habs to sign a star but I keep reading the players the Habs should trade ( eg Plekanec , Higgins , 5 or 6 draft picks , O'Byrne , Begin , Maxwell , Dandenault )

That's basicaly Higgins and Pleks for a star ....why would any team deal quality for qty ?

Begin and Dandenault are UFA's ...no offence but who wants them

Maxwell , no one knows if he will ever play in the NHl ' O'byrne is currently a 6, 7 or 8 th D man

Higgins and Pleks are 2nd or 3rd liners

It's not as easy as it seems to make trades and sign super stars now a days

There's already a BG thread but anyway here are my comments

BG did try to resign Sheldon . He chose not to sign with the Habs , so the Habs jumped on Hamrlik before he signed elsewhere

Do you really think Streit and Ryder are worth $ 4 m / year for 4 / 5 yrs ?

Ribiero .....just didn't fit in with the Habs anymore

For those of the above that were going to be UFA's , BG had a choice :

- keep them and try to make the playoffs ( the yr of Sheldon )

- do well with them when you are in the PO's ( Ryder and Streit )

- or trade them before the PO's , considering they were all going to be UFA's what asset do you really think BG would have rec'd .....a couple of late round draft picks?

How do we know BG isn't trying to make trades?

You need to find someone who is willing to trade and then both teams need to have cap space .

Lots of people want the Habs to sign a star but I keep reading the players the Habs should trade ( eg Plekanec , Higgins , 5 or 6 draft picks , O'Byrne , Begin , Maxwell , Dandenault )

That's basicaly Higgins and Pleks for a star ....why would any team deal quality for qty ?

Begin and Dandenault are UFA's ...no offence but who wants them

Maxwell , no one knows if he will ever play in the NHl ' O'byrne is currently a 6, 7 or 8 th D man

Higgins and Pleks are 2nd or 3rd liners

It's not as easy as it seems to make trades and sign super stars now a days

I'm pretty surprised to see so many jump back on the Souray bandwagon just because hes having a good offensive season. I remember the first line was around -20 with Souray and Souray himself was near -30. He was really bad in his own end of the ice. The Habs already have enough weakness in the defense at the moment. I wouldn't mind to see a defenseman who can really play defense brought in though.

Archived