Canadiens de Montreal

Phelps Regrets Behaviour Following Pot Smoking Photo

hockey_gal89

Michael Phelps Pot Smoking Photo  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a big deal?

• Yes
    • No

While I don't mind him lighting up the herb in his spare time, getting caught in the act is certainly not a good idea.

Agree or disagree, it's considered a crime so he's not necessarily sending the right message as a professional athlete.

Still not a big deal though, we're not talking steroids or drug trafficking or something here.

It's not that serious, and from a twenty-three year old it's to be expected. Still, I generally don't think it's healthy for an athlete to be smoking anything. Probably not a good idea, but certainly not the end of the world and certainly not the worst we've seen from Olympians. It'll blow over, he'll win a few more medals in London, and eventually he'll retire and be somebody's swimming coach and the world will forget he ever got caught smoking pot.

I don't care that he did it but for an athlete that relies on advertising dollars for the bulk of his earning it's awfully stupid to get caught and have pictures all over the internet.

That part I don't disagree with...But in a current sports landscape where just about every 2nd athlete is a train wreck on display for the public to see...I don't see how Michael Phelps is suddenly the menace to society.

I don't care that he did it but for an athlete that relies on advertising dollars for the bulk of his earning it's awfully stupid to get caught and have pictures all over the internet.

Good point. I'm sure there's some kind of clause in his advertising contracts.

Although the situation is clearly different here since he's an individual athlete currently not participating in any kind of competition, I remember some cases of soccer players who got suspended by European leagues and their clubs respectively due to Marijuana traces in their blood.

LMAO-Maybe he'll get some endorsement deals now from Kit Kat and Doritos...Zig Zag maybe...

Haha, there's gonna be takers for sure :D

That part I don't disagree with...But in a current sports landscape where just about every 2nd athlete is a train wreck on display for the public to see...I don't see how Michael Phelps is suddenly the menace to society.

Because Michael Phelps is Michael Phelps.

If Steve Begin did something bad, most of the population in north america would say "who?" - because he's not particularly well known - even among hockey fans.

If Mike Tyson did something bad, most of the population in north america would say "again?" - because while he is well known, he's also known to be of questionable character.

But Michael Phelps? he's the golden boy. The guy who seemed so pure. Heck, even katie couric looked like a "bad girl" in comparison while interviewing him! :P

Again, I dont think its a big deal. He didnt murder or ***** someone. But I agree with Roy, its not the smartest thing to do when one has an image such as his. Maybe he's trying to redefine his image, who knows.

What I'm curious is how did a pothead do what he did in the Olympics? Imagine if he wasn't smoking up? He could have obilterated those records :D

Tons of athletes are pot heads, and since marijuana is good for your heart, it might even help them to perform.

Of course people are gonna say, what about their lungs? Well with a typical professional athlete cardio training, im sure their lungs are fine.

Randy Moss is one of the fastest man in the NFL and he's known to smoke tons of weed (he even said that he smoke something like a pound of weed per month in the off season)

That's 4 oz a week :lol:

If Steve Begin did something bad, most of the population in north america would say "who?" - because he's not particularly well known - even among hockey fans.

If Mike Tyson did something bad, most of the population in north america would say "again?" - because while he is well known, he's also known to be of questionable character.

But Michael Phelps? he's the golden boy. The guy who seemed so pure. Heck, even katie couric looked like a "bad girl" in comparison while interviewing him! :P

Again, I dont think its a big deal. He didnt murder or ***** someone. But I agree with Roy, its not the smartest thing to do when one has an image such as his. Maybe he's trying to redefine his image, who knows.

If he did I might actually watch swimming!

What I'm curious is how did a pothead do what he did in the Olympics? Imagine if he wasn't smoking up? He could have obilterated those records :D

Pot heads rule dude. Phelps goes for goal next Cannabis Cup.

Pass the kid a water bong!!! He will drain the bowl the fastest. Pack the pipe. I mean he deserves it. Nothing wrong with a big Phat bat to help you relax when kicking back. Just ask Phatz :P

That's horrible dude...

No not really be the only reason I could see to watch swimming.

The other big issue is what advertisers are selling, it's the Olympic ideal, it's the kid next door. How many times did you see the stories about his single mom, raising her son with ADHD on her own and him turning into the great Olympic athlete of all time. These guys aren't seen as pro athletes, you see these guys once every 4 years, it's just not the same. In fact, that's what people love, it's not the spoiled pro athlete, these guys are supposed to be "pure". This is his 2nd problem, he's had the DUI too. The fact is, this is stupid of him because like I said he relies basically solely on advertising dollars.

The state of South Carolina is pressing charges because teh picture was taken in that state, no official words of what charges will be pressed..... wow what a joke :D

They can't charge him with possession because they can't solidly prove the he himself was in possession of a definite quantity of pot...I don't know what the law is in the states but you can't be charged with consumption after the fact...what do they charge him with?

No big deal to me but Kelloggs just dropped him

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=26595...=headlines_main

PORTLAND, Ore. - Kellogg Co. said Thursday that it will drop its endorsement deal with Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps following his acknowledgment he inhaled from a marijuana pipe.

The 23-year-old swimming star has apologized for his "regrettable" behaviour and "bad judgment" after a photo appeared Sunday in the British tabloid News of the World that showed Phelps inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

Most of his major sponsors, such as Visa Inc., Speedo, luxury Swiss watchmaker Omega and sports beverage PureSport's maker Human Performance Labs, stood by the athlete following the news, even if they didn't condone his behaviour.

But Michigan-based cereal and snack maker Kellogg said Thursday that Phelps's behaviour is "not consistent with the image of Kellogg."

Phelps's agent was not immediately available to comment.

Kellogg had contracts with Phelps and other Olympic athletes to support its association with the U.S. Olympic team. The company said in a statement that it will not renew its contract with Phelps, which expires at the end of February.

The company did not renew its deal with the U.S. Olympic Team, which expired in December.

Kellogg would not disclose the value of its deal with Phelps.

But experts have said that after Phelps won eight gold medals, he scored millions of dollars in endorsement deals, including the one that placed him on U.S. boxes of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes boxes.

They can't charge him with possession because they can't solidly prove the he himself was in possession of a definite quantity of pot...I don't know what the law is in the states but you can't be charged with consumption after the fact...what do they charge him with?

No idea they just said they're going to press charges on something.

Archived