The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Pittsburgh @ Montreal | Tuesday, February 3rd | 7:30pm Est

RicochetII

headerpart1wq9.pngheaderpart2lb7.png

In the second of four meetings between the two teams this season, Montreal will play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday night. It was a little over a month ago when the Habs skated into Penguin territory and skated back out with a 3-2 victory, thanks to a hat trick effort by Canadien winger Andrei Kostitsyn. The individual effort by the older Kostitsyn, was the early beginning of a January streak that saw him tally 10 goals and 15 points in 11 games. While Andrei Kostitsyn has cooled off in late January, he has a goal and an assist in his last two games and would love to kick off another hot streak at the expense of the visiting Pens.

The Habs' other Andrei, team leading scorer Markov, brings an impressive streak of his own to this confrontation. With 2 goals and 13 points in his last 12 games, Pittsburgh is going to have to keep a close watch on the entire Canadiens complement of Andrei's.

rosterpart1rv3.pngrosterpart2mx9.png

While Montreal's top forwards have struggled this season, Pittsburgh's twin dynamos Malkin and Crosby, bring the league's top two point tallies to le belle province. Malkin is 1st overall with 21 goals and 54 assists (75 points) and has a 4 game streak of 6 points on the go (3G 3A). Crosby follows closely behind at 2nd overall with 20 goals and 48 assists (68 points) and an even more impressive streak of 9 points in his last 4 games (3G 6A).

While the Canadiens were able to keep Malkin off the score sheet, they were unable to limit Crosby's performance, as he factored in on both Penguins goals, netting one and assisting on the other. Montreal's defenders could find the duo a handful Tuesday night.

leaderspart1oi1.pngleaderspart2vp6.png

Of the active rosters for both teams, Malkin leads in every offensive category for the pens, with Crosby taking the edge in faceoffs, while being no offensive slouch himself. The current leaders in the blue, blanque et rouge are the same pair of Andreis' that have had so much success over the last month. Koivu holds the Hab's faceoff crown and draws could prove to be important against an explosive Pittsburgh offense.

CONTINUED ...

injurypart1cq2.pnginjurypart2ut5.png

While Pittsburgh has seen their team buffered with the return of Whitney, they will be bolstered even further with the return of Gonchar, which could be in time for Tuesday's game. Gonchar has been cleared for contact and the Penguins recently returned forward Paul Bissonette to the AHL, leaving their roster at 22 players and a spot for their recovering defenseman. Gonchar will be traveling with the team on this road trip.

Montreal, meanwhile, continues to struggle with injuries that have plagued their roster for most of the season. While Koivu and Higgins have recently made their returns and are working on recovering their game, the Habs suffered a series of further setbacks over the Super Bowl weekend. Gorges was victimized by a vicious hit from LA Kings defenseman Denis Gauthier. Gauthier has a hearing today (Monday) to determine disciplinary action by the league and as a repeat offender, he is likely to find himself out of action for a while. Gorges suffered head and nose injuries and while no concussion has been reported, he will likely sit Tuesday's game as a precautionary measure.

Sunday's game against the Bruins saw Lang and Latendresse suffer injuries as a result of incidental contact in a game where the Canadiens out hit their Boston rivals. Latendresse has a reported shoulder injury and his return for this game is questionable. Worse for Canadiens fans, the injury suffered by Lang is related to his Achilles Tendon and could see him miss the rest of the season. Lang's contributions to the team will sorely be missed, as he lead all forwards with 18 goals and 39 points, one point behind team leading Andrei Markov. Signed as a "plan B" center, after Sundin prospects fell through, Lang has endeared himself to the fans and players alike and has turned in a "plan A" performance for the organization. Further word on the severity of Lang's injury is expected sometime on Tuesday.

penshighlightpg1.pnghabhighlightum9.png

For a glimpse of the highlights of both clubs this season, the highlight reels above are user posted montages on youtube for your viewing pleasure. To catch the players frozen in action, links to the official team game galleries are posted below. Game #34 on the second page is the gallery from the Habs' site and the mid point of the second page on the Pens' site, for the last time the two teams met in Pittsburgh.

penspicturetk5.pnghabspicturekz9.png

GO HABS GO!

Yes it's funny to think we may still make the playoff! :D

Yeah i was just poking fun :D but as of now we sit 4th in the conference and only 8 points from being in 8th spot. Still not in bad shape but 8 points could be gone in a flash if this team continues to play like.......ummmmm welllll you know :o

Yeah i was just poking fun :D but as of now we sit 4th in the conference and only 8 points from being in 8th spot. Still not in bad shape but 8 points could be gone in a flash if this team continues to play like.......ummmmm welllll you know :o

Like we have been? Like I have stated, Lang was one of the main guys showing up too play! Now what?

Like we have been? Like I have stated, Lang was one of the main guys showing up too play! Now what?

Now we see what happens. Well, those of us that haven't jumped off the "bandwagon" will see, that is. Some of our best stretches have come when we've been suffering injuries. Who knows what this team will bring? There's no point in booking tee times at this point. Lots of time left for players to step up their effort and contribute.

Great Thread, by the way. If the Team can put the work into tomorrow's game that was put into this GameDay Thread, 2 points is a lock.

GO HABS GO!

Now we see what happens. Well, those of us that haven't jumped off the "bandwagon" will see, that is. Some of our best stretches have come when we've been suffering injuries. Who knows what this team will bring? There's no point in booking tee times at this point. Lots of time left for players to step up their effort and contribute.

Great Thread, by the way. If the Team can put the work into tomorrow's game that was put into this GameDay Thread, 2 points is a lock.

GO HABS GO!

For me it's not about being on the bandwagon or off... I'm just a loyal fan.

Do I think they'll win the cup this season, course not!

But I'll cheer for them until they're no longer in the picture - not out of the playoffs but playing their final game... Whether that be in the post season or in April.

Thankfully the players don't have the same "glass is half empty" attitude that runs rampant on this forum.

As for the game, the boys can win it. They'll have to turn it up and make Lang proud of having team mates who can conquer through adversity.

Our history is built on conquering adversity... Time for the team to dig deep inside themselves and play games that'll be remembered for years to come (just like the teams of the past). If they do, maybe the ghosts of the old forum will find their way to the Bell Center and inspire us for another 100 years.

Great GDT! Up against a team playing about as inconsistant as us during past 10. They should be feeling their future is getting brighter with Gonchar returning soon. Us, maybe not so much. Loosing Lang creates a huge void. Makes me curious to see what Gainey will do to fill Lang's shoes. But, we can beat these guy's. We have to want it more and we can't beat ourselves. I don't know what else i can say, so: GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice GDT! Thank You!

I can't abandon these guys now. There is a core group that has played every game or very close to it. They've seen the injuries, celebrated the 100th time and again, been badgered by the media, been badgered by the fans, heard their names in the rumor mill and who knows what else. Somehow I hope they can regroup as a team and salvage something special out of this season whatever it may be.

Go Habs Go!

just want to say i appreciate what Langer brought to the team and all he contributed... his run with us ended too soon

now we have 3 games to bank points before the 6 game trip where its possible we could go 0-6 with the fragile mentality right now. these 3 games are vital

GO HABS GO!

You referring to me as a bandwagon fan that has jumped off? Well I'm not, I've been a fan sine 1971, I'm simply stating that losing Lang is huge and they way the rest of this team has been playing, we are not in the playoffs yet. The guys played there best hockey this season when all the trade rumors were swirling, seems after they knew they would be safe, they stopped playing.

GO HABS GO!

I'm as die hard a Habs fan as they come - I have a room here in my home in dedication for my beloved Habs. I am never a bandwagon fan but if being critical of their lack of effort, heart and passion defines bandwagon, I guess I'm one, I suppose.

I hope we'll see a collective effort Tuesday evening and some punch from the bunch.

GO HABS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

typo

Archived