The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ Buffalo | Friday, February 6th | 7:30pm Est

RicochetII

headerleftww4.pngheaderrightvp2.png

The last time the two teams met, was in Montreal on December 20th. It was a back and forth battle in which the teams exchanged tallies with Buffalo pulling ahead three times, only to be brought back by S. Kostitsyn, Tanguay and then S. Kostitsyn's 2nd goal of the night which put the game into overtime.

As the clock counted down, it was Montreal's Alex Kovalev who was the game's hero, scoring with 24.3 seconds left on the clock to claim the victory. The Canadiens will be looking for even more heroics from l'Artiste on Friday. Pairing back with his linemates of yore, A. Kostitsyn and Plekanec, the Canadiens are hoping to re-kindle the offensive threat that saw them finish first in the league in scoring last season.

playerslefthq6.pngplayersrighthv8.png

Montreal continues to suffer from their injury woes, but could be recovering shortly, with Dandenault, Laraque and Tanguay all slated for return sometime this month. There is speculation that the two former could potentially make an appearance in this game, which is supported by the Habs operating with a 20 player roster. Brisebois is also questionable to start, which would bring them down to 19 players.
As of noon Thursday, there have been no callups made. Reports from practice this morning, before the Canadiens board their flight to Buffalo, reveal that Laraque and Dandenault are practicing on the fourth line.

The Sabres aren't at full health themselves. Sekera, Afinogenov and Tallinder remain on injured reserve and Spacek and Hecht are questionable to play against Montreal.

What the Canadiens do have, is a new mentality. Carbonneau is pressuring his players to apply a more complete effort and the team is rising to the challenge. The Sabres will not be daunted however. Coming off a 5-0 performance in Toronto that saw Vanek net the fourth natural hat trick of his career and goaltender Miller notch his 5th shutout this season, will have the Sabres rattling.

goaliesleftdr1.pnggoaliesrightjw6.png

The last time these two teams faced, Montreal played without prodigal goaltender Carey Price. Halak earned the victory on that occasion. Coincidentally, the Sabres were also coming off a 5-0 victory the last time they visited Montreal. Ryan Miller made 42 saves that night, after making 40 saves for the shutout the night before. If history is any indication, the Canadiens will find themselves with many opportunities and many frustrations in the form of opportunities prevented by what could be a hot and hard to beat Miller.
With both teams weighted on the side of offense, this could well turn into a goaltending duel. Habs fans can take some comfort in the fact that of the two netminders, Price holds the advantage when these two teams meet.

Montreal's projected lines for tomorrow night :

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - A. Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - D'Agostini
Pacioretty - Lapierre - S. Kostitsyn
Kostopoulos - Begin - (Laraque/Dandenault)

For more information on the Sabres lineup, they have a very nice tool that our site lacks, located HERE

Hopefully Carbo will keep Laraque a healthy scratch tonight. The Sabres aren't a particularly dirty team but they are very fast. Laraque won't be able to keep up with them, particularly after so long on the shelf. I'd rather see Kostopoulos-Begin-Dandenault as the fourth line (assuming Dandy isn't playing defense, which would be preferable IMO).

Excellent game day thread Ric. Hat's off.

I thank you sir. :)

Hopefully Carbo will keep Laraque a healthy scratch tonight. The Sabres aren't a particularly dirty team but they are very fast. Laraque won't be able to keep up with them, particularly after so long on the shelf. I'd rather see Kostopoulos-Begin-Dandenault as the fourth line (assuming Dandy isn't playing defense, which would be preferable IMO).

I'm hoping for Dandenault on D and if we have to make a choice for the wing, I would prefer it be between Laraque and Bouillon. Ideally, we would have Stewart on this trip at least. I'm actually going to have to vote in favor of Laraque on the fourth for now though, on the off chance he politely requests a fight with Kaleta. A dirty, vicious hitter is the last thing we need to face right now. He doesn't even have to beat him up, just get him off the ice for long periods of time.

Sabres crushed Toronto last night. I know it's not saying much but they looked sharp. We better be ready for them tomorrow and not take them lightly or they'll burn us with their speed.

As far as Dandy goes, I'd like to see him start the game as a forward with limited ice time till he gets his legs back. Then Saturday he needs to be put back on D where he belongs.

Hey i'm going to this game, please give ideas within next 30 mins how i should make my banner. (ex. Go HABS go!)

maybe somethin like T - S - N

Trash

Sabres

Now

Beauty thread, Ricochet. Always beautiful eye candy. Hats off.

Loved the win vs. Sid the Skid and the Pens. The Team responded well to being in a hole early (again) and rose to the challenge of a potential comeback after they got within a goal. That kind of character will be essential in the games ahead, especially going all over the continent.

Looking forward to getting another game on the tube. I've been spoiled of late, being able to watch 4 of the last 5, and I'd love to end the work week with another victory.

GO HABS GO!

I will be in attendance tomorrow night... 14 rows off the ice! I'm really looking forward to it. Carey has been confirmed as the starter. Last game I saw at the HSBC Arena was when the Habs visited last March, and we won in OT. It was exhilarating. Hopefully Les Boys can get another W!

GO HABS, GO!

Archived