The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Roland Melanson 2008-2009

sens27

Roland Melanson

1936_2.jpg

Position: Assistant Coach

Born in Moncton, New Brunswick on June 28, 1960, Roland Melanson is entering his 12th season as an Assistant Coach with the Montreal Canadiens. His duties include the supervision and the development of all goaltenders in the organization. When he’s not on the Bell Centre ice tutoring the Canadiens netminders, chances are you will find Melanson working with goaltending prospects in Hamilton where he travels during the season to evaluate the progress of the young Bulldogs.

Since he first started in the business, Melanson has worked closely with several goalies helping them reach their full potential and earning the awards that come with hard work and good coaching. Among his pupils over the years are the likes of José Théodore, Jeff Hackett, Mathieu Garon and Cristobal Huet.

Prior to joining the Canadiens on June 10, 1997, Melanson was a goaltending coach for the QMJHL Moncton Wildcats from 1995 to 1997, following a 2-year association with the St. John Flames, as goaltending consultant (1993 to 1995).

Melanson played his junior hockey with Windsor and Oshawa in the OHL from 1977 to 1980. In 1979, he was drafted in the 3rd round, 59th overall by the New York Islanders.

The first goaltender born in New Brunswick to play in the NHL, Melanson spent 12 years in the League. Melanson played 136 regular season games with the Islanders between 1980 and 1985, winning three consecutive Stanley Cup championships in 1981, 1982 and 1983.

He registered 24 victories in 44 games during the 1982-83 season, sharing the William Jennings Trophy with Billy Smith. He was also named to the NHL Second All-Star Team that year. Melanson was traded to the Montreal Canadiens on Sept. 20, 1991 with Kirk Muller, in return for Stéphane Richer and Tom Chorske.

He put an end to his playing career after playing seven games with the Saint John Flames, in 1993-94.

Sorry to the mods in advance if there is already a thread on this, i could not find anything on melanson. Anyways i just wanted to say with some of our goalies in the past, it is funny how they all have great starts when they come to montreal but then seem to fall apart. We can just look at Theodore, Aebischer and now price. Could it be Melanson's fault as he is the one working with our goalies? Its kind of funny when you look back on the past 10 years. Talk about a guy flying under the radar. Maybe its time we look at another goalie coach?????

I was thinking the same thing last year with huet. The only hing is i don't think there is too many quality goalie coaches out there waiting for a job.

I don't know if the Habs are happy with Rollie but if ever they need to find a replacement,,,,cough cough Roy,,,,i don't think they would have to look too far. ;)

In terms of Price tonight, its just typical unconfident goalie (although his mechanics on the first was bad). Hes deep in his net, reflexes aren't sharp etc., same qualities he was displaying before he was sent down last season.

Yes, but Halak was playing the same way before Price returned. I know they're both young, and they'll struggle, but they're both doing so poorly right now that you kind of have to wonder what exactly Melanson is doing.

Yes, but Halak was playing the same way before Price returned. I know they're both young, and they'll struggle, but they're both doing so poorly right now that you kind of have to wonder what exactly Melanson is doing.

Well Halak has only played a small # of games so I can't really say much about him, in terms of Carey maybe not having as many house parties would help ;)

In all seriousness though, a goalie coach can only do so much, they probably do the least out of any type of coach as goaltending is mainly mental, and the basic such as positioning, puck playing etc. are taught and molded at lower levels.

I'd imagine Melanons main roles are preparing their goalies for the opposing teams strategies and shooters tendecies and I guess we can argue if he does that well or not. The rest is on Carey and his mental focus, for any goalie whose ever played, they know that the mind is the most key essential to any goalie.

I agree that mental focus is the key for a goalie's game. So my question becomes: who is making sure Price gets the mental focus?

Unless Rollie has a degree in psychology, I can't see it being him, this is part of the growing stretch of having young goalies I suppose, having to learn how to handle these situations and grow from it. I'm sure Rollie gives advice and whatnot on how to handle it, (my advice would be a nice smoke, a cold beer and/or both, which is why I'm not a goalie coach), but theres only so much you can do asides from brain surgery :P

Unless Rollie has a degree in psychology, I can't see it being him, this is part of the growing stretch of having young goalies I suppose, having to learn how to handle these situations and grow from it. I'm sure Rollie gives advice and whatnot on how to handle it, (my advice would be a nice smoke, a cold beer and/or both, which is why I'm not a goalie coach), but theres only so much you can do asides from brain surgery :P

Somebody has to be there to mentor the kids on the team, particularly our young goalies.

Somebody has to be there to mentor the kids on the team, particularly our young goalies.

And he probably does as I said, but with a 21 year old #1 goalie, even with the hard head such as Carey's, theres only so much a mentor can do.

Its on Carey's shoulders to find a way to regain his confidence, and for Rollie to be there to help every step of the way. Hopefully this team does employ sports psychologists, but I have no knolwedge of it. They have Athletic therapists, but I don't think thats psychlogicaly related.

And he probably does as I said, but with a 21 year old #1 goalie, even with the hard head such as Carey's, theres only so much a mentor can do.

Its on Carey's shoulders to find a way to regain his confidence, and for Rollie to be there to help every step of the way. Hopefully this team does employ sports psychologists, but I have no knolwedge of it. They have Athletic therapists, but I don't think thats psychlogicaly related.

It's not just Carey, though, it's Plekanec, Higgins, Halak, and the Kostitsyns, it's Gorges and until recently O'Byrne, and even the veterans like Hamrlik and Kovalev.

We don't seem able to get consistency out of any of our players.

It's not just Carey, though, it's Plekanec, Higgins, Halak, and the Kostitsyns, it's Gorges and until recently O'Byrne, and even the veterans like Hamrlik and Kovalev.

We don't seem able to get consistency out of any of our players.

Shall I direct you to my post in State of the Habs on the teams overall psyche :P

I pretty much covered what I think the issues are, btw I just checked the organzation rankings, there is no assigned person at all in the psychological department, not one.

Melanson ruins goalie's, plain and simple... he forces his system on them rather than let them continue to develop whatever system they were using before and felt comfortable with...

I really agree with your comment, just look at tim thomas in boston,he is flopping around the ice but is very good at his style. Price has seemed to me over time to be very.......ummmmmm how do i say this...robotic. If you look at tapes on carey from last year to this year i think you will see a major difference.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

LOL :lol:

before melancon coatched huet...huet was playing with the bulldogs...so its not his fault...

lol....Huet never played for the Hamilton Bulldogs.

He played for the LA Kings , was traded to Montreal

He was assigned to the Bulldogs for four games for conditioning purposes .

Huet took over as Jose Theodore started to tank

Anyways, the Habs should consider flying Carey Price's father in .

The kid looked liked he was almost in tears during tonight's interview

Melanson may or ay not be the problem. The biggest thing that I have been noticing with Price is there are a lot of photos of Carey partying all the time. I'm just wondering that if it is way too much because in a lot of the photos I see he looks hammered and wasted most of the time so does a few other habs players I see. Komisarek is another player who falls into that catagory. The off season is the time for that, we need these guys to concentrate and get a good nites sleep, this is their livelyhood if they don't take any prie in their work they will develop bad habits, and I think this is what we are seeing now. They are all playing individually and no bonding, without a team system that everyone will buy into this team will go nowhere. If any player is okay with not making the playoffs and losing get rid of them now and salvage what we can get for them.

Archived