The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryan Smyth To The Habs?

Makal22

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is reporting on a ton of rumors this week with the main one being that the Montreal Canadiens are “mulling over a possible deal for Ryan Smyth.”

So much for that rumor... next. Its just Garrioch trying to think of what makes sense and posting a rumor about it without any proof of a negotiation.

$7.2 m for a guy who got 70 pts 8 years ago ......... :rolleyes:

Pass

Cap hit is only 6.25, which isn't that bad for a relatively consistent 60-70 point player who plays a gritty style.

My only concern is he's a bit injury prone, which is why his point totals aren't always impressive (his points per game is usually quite good, with the exception of last season).

But I think we do need a couple more players like him, and depending on the deal I may go for it.

He'd love it in Montreal? Yeah that was why he turned down $8m to play here a year ago?

We offered a 27 million dollar (apparantly) deal, he signed one for 31.25: so we offered less.

The money per season was slightly higher, reportedly 6.75, but nowhere near 8.

Cap hit is only 6.25, which isn't that bad for a relatively consistent 60-70 point player who plays a gritty style.

My only concern is he's a bit injury prone, which is why his point totals aren't always impressive (his points per game is usually quite good, with the exception of last season).

But I think we do need a couple more players like him, and depending on the deal I may go for it.

Injuries can be ignored if its rare, but you can't use points per game as an argument if Smyth consistently gets himself off the ice, because its no longer bad luck but an attribute of him and what he will produce.

Injuries can be ignored if its rare, but you can't use points per game as an argument if Smyth consistently gets himself off the ice, because its no longer bad luck but an attribute of him and what he will produce.

That's a fair point, and in fact one I brought up in the Gaborik thread, that even if his PPG is great, he still is only providing around 60 points a season. It is a completely valid point.

However, PPG is still a valid stat in it's own right. Because it says when he is playing, he's better than his yearly stats show. Why is this valid? Well 60 points in 60 games is better than 60 points in 80 games because you can have another player in his place those other 20 games who may get his own 10 points. Additionally, the playoffs are much shorter than a whole season, so it's acceptable to think he should be healthy in the postseason and if he stays healthy he should in theory be more than a 60 point style of player. Also even an injury prone player can have a lucky season.

So you need to look at both I guess. One tells you how much of an impact he actually seems to make year to year. The other tells you when he's playing how much of an impact he makes.

That's a fair point, and in fact one I brought up in the Gaborik thread, that even if his PPG is great, he still is only providing around 60 points a season. It is a completely valid point.

However, PPG is still a valid stat in it's own right. Because it says when he is playing, he's better than his yearly stats show. Why is this valid? Well 60 points in 60 games is better than 60 points in 80 games because you can have another player in his place those other 20 games who may get his own 10 points. Additionally, the playoffs are much shorter than a whole season, so it's acceptable to think he should be healthy in the postseason and if he stays healthy he should in theory be more than a 60 point style of player. Also even an injury prone player can have a lucky season.

So you need to look at both I guess. One tells you how much of an impact he actually seems to make year to year. The other tells you when he's playing how much of an impact he makes.

But it doesn't really matter though, does a boss care if you create 100K worth of revenues in 4 weeks and take 2 off doing nothing, or if the other guy does the same 100K in 6 weeks? Its the end result that matters.

While yes Smyth is a great player when playing, the fact that he doesn't always play cannot be ignored and in fact should be a primary variable in a decision. In terms of the playoffs, its just a huge risk, he could be there for a month, or may miss the whole dance, depending on what you're giving up, is the risk worth it?

Was reading thefourthperiod.com and it said they would probally want Halak in return, but obviously salaries don't match up so the Habs would have to send some more salary. Realistically I dont see how a trade can be worked out. Smyth cap hit is $6 million or so and there are not any Habs near that. Add in the fact the Habs onl have 0.737 in cap space and that pretty much squashes these rumours.

I like the grit a Ryan Smyth player would bring to the team. If we have no room for someone with his attributes, Joli could offer a similar role. I have also frequently heard rumours of a Vincent Lecaviler, Danielle Briere, by popular demand. I think their talent would be fantastic addition to the team but I haven't heard much of a Executive level comittment we might need for a move like that. It would be a pleasant suprise if you ask me.

I think Gainey is looking for a couple of mid level players to juice up their PP, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line. We need depth and our goaltending to be there night in night out.

I dont think a shared role Halak and Price, should we make it to the playoffs is on our egenda either. One of them or the other. If Montreal is involved in a big deal a veteran goalie will be in the deal. Price isn't going anywhere, Gainey and Carbo have invested in his nurturing but I dont think he's ready to ride into the playoffs either.

Does anyone have a line on potential trades the Canadians might make....?

We offered a 27 million dollar (apparantly) deal, he signed one for 31.25: so we offered less.

The money per season was slightly higher, reportedly 6.75, but nowhere near 8.

Oh? I heard it was nearly the same offer to threw at Brierre, which was roughly that much; either way still too much cost to acquire him and certainly better players. I wonder with how lousy Anaheim has been if they might part with one or two of their elites. Getzlaf would be perfect here mainly because Carbo would drool over a gritty power forward/grinder (not sure which) centreman.

This has been bothering me for a while,

What exactly does it mean for a player to have "grit"?

And are we sure of these qualifications for players that habs fans might see play a couple times a year?

It means he goees to the front of the net, into the corners, gets physical etc. etc. Its well documented that Smyth does this, but I wouldn't use it as a selling point to trading for him, nor do I value it as a way to evaluate a player.

But it doesn't really matter though, does a boss care if you create 100K worth of revenues in 4 weeks and take 2 off doing nothing, or if the other guy does the same 100K in 6 weeks? Its the end result that matters.

Well there is a difference if in those 2 weeks where you're off doing nothing, your replacement manages to create 20k worth of revenues.

But what about if there was some "crunch time" where your company gets half their revenue for the year in a single month? If it's likely both would be available and you could have one or the other, you'd probably pick the one who generates more revenue each month

While yes Smyth is a great player when playing, the fact that he doesn't always play cannot be ignored and in fact should be a primary variable in a decision. In terms of the playoffs, its just a huge risk, he could be there for a month, or may miss the whole dance, depending on what you're giving up, is the risk worth it?

I never said to ignore it, I clearly said you need to look at both parts of the picture. In fact, this started when I said that his injury proneness was a concern.

Well there is a difference if in those 2 weeks where you're off doing nothing, your replacement manages to create 20k worth of revenues.

But what about if there was some "crunch time" where your company gets half their revenue for the year in a single month? If it's likely both would be available and you could have one or the other, you'd probably pick the one who generates more revenue each month

Of course there is, but thats not what I meant, I was trying to point out if player A produces X amount into the teams standings, and player B produces the same amount and thy both do nearly the same annualy, then the amount of time they're around is no longer a huge factor.

I'm assuming by crunch time you mean playoffs, again thats a whole risk unto itself.

I never said to ignore it, I clearly said you need to look at both parts of the picture. In fact, this started when I said that his injury proneness was a concern.

My mistake.

Of course there is, but thats not what I meant, I was trying to point out if player A produces X amount into the teams standings, and player B produces the same amount and thy both do nearly the same annualy, then the amount of time they're around is no longer a huge factor.

It's still a difference you're not admitting. You need to evaluate the two things seperately: total impact and the impact they have when they are on the ice. Marian Gaborik has pretty average overall stats throughout his career, yet when he does play he's a gamebreaker.

This is an important distinction, because even an injury prone player could realistically last for 16-24 playoff games, and if he is around and he's a gamebreaker that is very important. You're taking a risk on the injury prone player, but if he does stay healthy you have a better chance at the cup. The non-injury prone player is more likely to play in the playoffs, but if what your team needs is a gamebreaker, his points won't be enough and your team will get out of the playoffs. In the playoffs every game counts. That's why if we got Gaborik, it could mean a lot more to our cup hopes than other players who put up similar points per season, even if it is an increased risk.

I like the way he is playing... he is a real power forward and he gives leadership and toughness.

He said to the media that he won't waive his no trade clause...

I think the only guy who's the potentiel to be a first line forward it's Olli Jokinen... I hope Gainey is gonna move before the trade deadline... otherwise others teams are gonna give a tons of players (Edmenton, Colombus, Calgary, Vancouver, New-York etc...)

Ryan Smyth rumors are most likely exactly what they sound like...A desperate armchair GM reaching for a bit of spotlight...IF you think Kovalev's over priced, then you're not going to like Ryan Smyth one bit...I myself think we'd be better off resigning Kovalev (IF still possible) than trade for a Ryan Smyth and a hefty NTC contract.

Ryan Smyth rumors are most likely exactly what they sound like...A desperate armchair GM reaching for a bit of spotlight...IF you think Kovalev's over priced, then you're not going to like Ryan Smyth one bit...I myself think we'd be better off resigning Kovalev (IF still possible) than trade for a Ryan Smyth and a hefty NTC contract.

+1

BG is such a cautious guy i cannot imagine him considering anyone with a no-trade as the deal could get flushed down the drain (and all the time/opportunity along with it) at any time, no matter what the individual promises. I think Smyth is a realistic rumor given habs' previous interest, but not even close to a realistic Gainey deal given the NTC.

Archived