The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline Discussion Thread 2009

RicochetII

This is a funny site for any Eklund haters, and to discredit anyone who actually uses his links as a reference:

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

Incorrect Rumors since January 2008: 333

Correct Rumors since January 2008: 10

Success Rate since January 2008: 2.9%

EDIT: Apparently hockeybuzz is trying to sue them now.

I love that site. Its funny. :lol:

This is a funny site for any Eklund haters, and to discredit anyone who actually uses his links as a reference:

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

Incorrect Rumors since January 2008: 333

Correct Rumors since January 2008: 10

Success Rate since January 2008: 2.9%

EDIT: Apparently hockeybuzz is trying to sue them now.

While I certainly have no love for Eklund & think the guy is both an egomaniac and a storyteller, the very nature of trades is one that you almost have to have a low percentage of success (albeit 2.9% is exceedingly low).

I mean look at it this way: lets say you REALLY had inside info. 4 teams are trying to get Lecavalier & have made pitches for him. You get wind of all 4 & report them. If TB decides none of the deals make sense, you just went 0%. If the trade even goes through, you now are only 25% because 3 of the 4 have to be wrong if only 1 goes through.

Anyway, I would think that someone with "real" sources would probably be in the 15-20% range, which Eklund clearly is not.

I have said for a long time, I believe Eklund has at least a couple of spies the Philly Organization & at least 1 in the pittsburg team. Other than that, Ive never seen him accurate with any consistency.

I'd love to get Spezza, but idiot Murray will try to trade Neil and Kuba instead. He honestly thinks he can be a contender with over $25 million tied up in four forwards, heading into a year when the cap might actually go down.

He would definitely be high up on my list. A young, elite centre - exactly what this team needs. But, like you, I dont see Ottawa moving him...mind you any GM that says "we are buyers" just a week after "unloading" a first round pick...well who knows what he'll do!!

6 Days, 15hours, 35minutes until the trade deadline!

Every year comes & every year I think "wow, there hasnt been much movement so close to the deadline" lol. I suspect we'll see it starting this weekend.

I'd love to get Spezza, but idiot Murray will try to trade Neil and Kuba instead. He honestly thinks he can be a contender with over $25 million tied up in four forwards, heading into a year when the cap might actually go down.

If Murray is indeed leaning on NOT rebuilding, he would want immediate stud help at the blueline, while all the Habs can offer if prospects who will be years away from being serious contributors.

Sellers, are you nuts, we are buyers, no question, just a matter of what we can get, and not get beat out last second by some over bidder. Look at pittsburgh now, gave up all those players for a 3 month rental, now look at em, if the didnt have the two leading scorers in the nhl on the team they would be last place

I assume as everybody that the habs are buyers. But don't forget about last season as we were first in the east and traded our number one goalie and did nothing else.

Gainey would have to be very creative to make a move, as we are almost againts the cap already.

I assume as everybody that the habs are buyers. But don't forget about last season as we were first in the east and traded our number one goalie and did nothing else.

Gainey would have to be very creative to make a move, as we are almost againts the cap already.

Maybe we'll sell Kovalev this year for Boston's 3rd round draft pick in 2010.

If Murray is indeed leaning on NOT rebuilding, he would want immediate stud help at the blueline, while all the Habs can offer if prospects who will be years away from being serious contributors.

That's probably what he'd want, but it's silly, because they don't have the cap space to accommodate stud help on the blue line. The biggest albatross they have, Mike Fisher, has a NTC and Murray has explicitly said he won't be asking Fisher to waive it. I guess they're happy paying $6 million a year to a guy on pace for a sparking 29 points.

That's probably what he'd want, but it's silly, because they don't have the cap space to accommodate stud help on the blue line. The biggest albatross they have, Mike Fisher, has a NTC and Murray has explicitly said he won't be asking Fisher to waive it. I guess they're happy paying $6 million a year to a guy on pace for a sparking 29 points.

And even so, the only actually piece the Habs can offer is Markov and that trade would hurt more than help.

It would be nice if the Habs "acclaimed" defensive depth actually got here one day.

And even so, the only actually piece the Habs can offer is Markov and that trade would hurt more than help.

It would be nice if the Habs "acclaimed" defensive depth actually got here one day.

hopefully emelin will be here in september, then there is Mcdonaugh,Carle,Fisher,Valentenko..... that may or may not be here one day

Especially considering how solid he was in the playoffs last year.

On a team that pretty bad defensively, why trade one of your better defensemen, even if Gonchar is back.

It shows that they are NOT going to try and move Crosby or Malkin and they'll bit the biscuit defensively if they have to.

I don't agree, I think they should have traded Staal for a lockdown d-man, but lets see what happens, I have Kunitz in my pool so he gets to play with Crosby now :D

me too. why would they do that?

this is what tsn has to say about it:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have cleared up a bit of their log jam along their blueline as they have traded Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.

The 26-year old Whitney was a vital piece of the Penguins' Stanley Cup run last year; however foot surgery caused him to miss the first 31 games of this season. He has 2 goals and 11 assists in 28 games for Pittsburgh this year.

The Boston-native is one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league and should be a big boost to the Ducks' power play. He became deemed surplus goods when fellow defenceman and Penguins' primary powerplay quarterback Sergei Gonchar returned from a shoulder injury.

Whitney is in the second year of a six-year contract he signed with the Penguins last season. He was chosen fifth overall by the Penguins in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

In Kunitz, the Penguins will be getting an offensive-minded player who won the Stanley Cup in 2007. After campaigns where he put up 60 and then 50 points, the 29-year old Regina-native has 16 goals and 19 assists this season. He has spent the majority of his four NHL seasons with Anaheim.

Tangradi, who just turned 20, is having a fine season with the OHL's Belleville Bulls. In 52 games, he has 38 goals and 87 points. He was drafted by the Ducks in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Both the Penguins and Ducks are in tight battles for post-season berths. Anaheim has 65 points and is tied with three other teams for 8th in the Western Conference. Pittsburgh, who made the Stanley Cup Final last season, finds itself 10th in the East, two points behind Buffalo for the final playoff spot.

my two cents: i hardly consider whitney excess clutter on their blueline...

Well Kunitz I can explain, the Penguins want to keep both of their superstars and they need wingers for both of them. If they would've aquired a UFA forward, it would just deplete their resources and they would be worse off next year.

Kunitz is signed until 12-13, it gives them the security to not have to worry about wingers for a few more years.

However if they were going to trade a defenseman, trade Gonchar, Whitney is signed for 3 more years, at a cheaper cap hit, is younger and is better defensively.

Well Kunitz I can explain, the Penguins want to keep both of their superstars and they need wingers for both of them. If they would've aquired a UFA forward, it would just deplete their resources and they would be worse off next year.

Kunitz is signed until 12-13, it gives them the security to not have to worry about wingers for a few more years.

However if they were going to trade a defenseman, trade Gonchar, Whitney is signed for 3 more years, at a cheaper cap hit, is younger and is better defensively.

i disagree with you there. imho, gonchar is the superior defenseman (especially defensively) but i'm not sure how well he's played since missing most the season.

Archived