The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rangers Fire Tom Renney

Wayne-1

Sportsnet is announcing that the Rangers have fired Tom Renney...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/02/23/rangers_renney/

kind of a useless link right now, absolutely no details...

well, there is this: Sources also tell Sportsnet that the Rangers have targeted John Tortorella to be their next head coach.

anyway, that means all four teams that started the season in Europe -- the others being Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay -- have now fired their head coaches...

the TSN story:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268362&lid...s=topStory_main

RANGERS LET HEAD COACH GO AFTER 10TH LOSS IN 12 GAMES

The struggling New York Rangers have fired head coach Tom Renney with 21 games left in the NHL season.

The last straw came after the Rangers' 3-2 overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday, which handed New York its tenth loss in 12 games (2-7-3).

The Rangers are currently in a tie for fifth place in the Eastern Conference, but they sit only two points ahead of ninth-place Carolina in a tight playoff race.

Rumours had been swirling among fans and analysts that Renney's time could come to an end soon if the Rangers continued their free fall in the standings.

Renney, who turns 54 on March 1, was in his sixth season with the team.

In an interesting sidenote, all four NHL teams that opened the NHL season in Europe have now fired their head coaches this season. In addition to Renney, other coaches to get the axe are the Penguins' Michel Therrien, the Lightning's Barry Melrose and the Senators' Craig Hartsburg.

Those teams were part of the NHL's move to generate interest overseas by holding regular season games in Prague, Czech Republic and Stockholm, Sweden to kick off the 2008-09 campaign.

Renney started the 2003-04 season as assistant coach for the Rangers and was appointed as interim head coach after Glen Sather was fired during the season.

Prior to that, Renney had coached the Vancouver Canucks, where he was behind the bench from the 1996-97 season to midway through the 1997-98 season, when he was fired and replaced by Mike Keenan.

The Rangers are 31-23-7 this season.

- 30 -

I think Renney took the fall for many of Sather's blunders...For example, is it Tom Renney's fault that Sather has almost 15-million tied up in 2-2nd line centremen? Nope. Not to mention the 11.5 million they've got tied up in Redden and Rosival...IF you think the Habs have problems...

No doubt I think Renney is good coach, but the GM has control of the coach's destiny and is making him the fallman for his mistakes. I'm not saying Renney was the problem, but I saw this demise from a mile away months ago and this team has too much issues.

No doubt I think Renney is good coach, but the GM has control of the coach's destiny and is making him the fallman for his mistakes. I'm not saying Renney was the problem, but I saw this demise from a mile away months ago and this team has too much issues.

Agreed...I think Sather is perhaps past his prime as a GM...This was a move to save Sather's neck...The question is: Would you take Renney as a replacement for Carbo?

So here's the word,,,,lose to the Leafs and your toast. :lol:

The "Last Straw" Leafs have struck again.

How do you know when you're a really bad team?

When you win and the opposing coach gets fired.

With the success of "The Apprentice" and "Celebrity Apprentice", someone should pitch The Donald on a new show called "Leafs Foe Apprentice".

After every Toronto victory, Trump could come out on the ice and fire the other teams coach.

Agreed...I think Sather is perhaps past his prime as a GM...This was a move to save Sather's neck...The question is: Would you take Renney as a replacement for Carbo?

I didn't know GM's had a prime :P

I'm not sure, I've seen some games to say hes a decent coach, but I don't know enough about Renney to say he would be my guy. Of course at this time I'm willing to give anyone a shot whose name isn't Carbonneau.

Agreed...I think Sather is perhaps past his prime as a GM...

Frankly, I dont think Sather has been or could be a good Cap-based GM. If he didnt have to worry about salary then I think he'd still be "on his game"

The question is: Would you take Renney as a replacement for Carbo?

Tough to say. I think Renney is a good coach - but I think Carbo could be too - with the right players. This team is not built for a carbo type of coach (and until he stops trying to mould them as such, Im concerned). Im not sure Renney is the right guy for the job though. Someone mentioned dave king in another thread - thats the sort of guy (or a Pat Quinn, perhaps) id rather take a try with.

With the success of "The Apprentice" and "Celebrity Apprentice", someone should pitch The Donald on a new show called "Leafs Foe Apprentice".

After every Toronto victory, Trump could come out on the ice and fire the other teams coach.

Lol, that's funny. I know this guy who's a leafs fan. Guess what Joke i'll be stealing to help ruin his day. :lol:

Look, a team that actually held its coach accountable!!

I found the timing interesting as well. 10 losses in their last 12. ;)

The Rangers looked to be dominant at the beginning of the season. Roscival, Gomez, Dubinsky and Drury were in complete control of the game most of the time they were on the ice from the bits and pieces I watched and I only assumed that was indicative of their play because it was reflecting in the standings. They've taken quite the fall, but no more pronounced than our own.

Yeah, I suppose Slats has seen the Sens "turn-around", and is saying, "what the hey!". :lol:

Torts will light some fire under them anyway.

Torts is still under contract with the Lightning, isn't he? Still, I see no reason why they wouldn't let him go.

So, it's true. Coaches get fired when their team doesn't perform. I'd always heard that.

I agree wholeheartedly with an earlier post: the Rangers getting back on track is not what we need right now.

When do the Habs play the Leafs again? <_<

I was waiting as a scrolled down for your post, Weep. I figured it would be a good laugh. :lol:

As for if Renney is a fix for us, I cannot comment for the same reason as most, I know little about his style; regardless I want Pat Quinn here.

I found the timing interesting as well. 10 losses in their last 12. ;)

The Rangers looked to be dominant at the beginning of the season. Roscival, Gomez, Dubinsky and Drury were in complete control of the game most of the time they were on the ice from the bits and pieces I watched and I only assumed that was indicative of their play because it was reflecting in the standings. They've taken quite the fall, but no more pronounced than our own.

Actually, on second glance, I revise my opinion somewhat. Renney is basically paying for Sather's incompetence as a GM.

Drury and Gomez are grossly overpaid for what they are. Redden is a cokehead. Roszival (sp) would be a second-pairing defenseman on any other team. They never replaced the scoring output of Jagr and Shanahan.

Sather has messed up that team big-time.

a lot of hockey-people would say it is more accurate to say he was not held accountable, but was made the scapegoat...

Just more proof that the salary cap and league parity did nothing for coaches and Job security. :o
one thing has nothing to do with the other... cap or not, GMs will put together bad teams that will get their coaches fired...

Yeah, I suppose Slats has seen the Sens "turn-around", and is saying, "what the hey!". :lol:
the bloom is off the rose a bit for Cory Clouston in Ottawa... after the five-game win streak, the Sens have lost three in a row now, still, going 5-3-2 is much better than they were before...

Archived