The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kirk Muller 2008-2009

GreekHockeyCoach

Kirk Muller

1996_2.jpg

Position: Assistant coach

Kirk Muller was named assistant coach of the Canadiens on June 20, 2006, thus making his return within the organization.

Muller was the head coach of the Queen’s University Golden Gaels of the Ontario University Athletics, in his hometown of Kingston, during the 2005-06 season. Under his guidance, the team posted an 8-13-1-2 record.

Muller also held the title of assistant coach to Marc Habscheid, with Team Canada, at the Lotto Cup in December 2005 in Slovakia (Gold Medal). Last March,he worked as assistant coach to Greg Gilbert at the Under-18 World Championship (4th place).

Kirk Muller’s playing career in the NHL started in 1984 with the New Jersey Devils, who had drafted him second overall, behind Mario Lemieux. Muller had just concluded a stellar three-year career in the Ontario Hockey League, including the last two with the Guelph Platers. In the OHL, Muller collected 257 points, including 95 goals, in 182 games.

On September 20, 1991, the Canadiens acquired Muller and goaltender Roland Melanson, in return for Stéphane Richer and Tom Chorske. Muller spent a little more than three seasons with the Canadiens, including one as team captain, and was instrumental in leading the franchise to its 24th Stanley Cup, in 1992-93.

Through a 19-year career, Muller also played for the New York Islanders, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Florida Panthers and the Dallas Stars. Muller also represented Canada at the World Championships (1985, 1986, 1987, 1989) and at the 1984 Olympic Games, in Sarajevo.

In 1349 NHL games, Muller scored 357 goals and added 602 assists for a total of 959 points. With the Canadiens, he registered 247 points, including 104 goals, in 267 games.

Kirk Muller played in 127 playoff games and recorded 69 points, including 33 goals. With the Canadiens, he took part in 38 playoff contests, scored 20 goals and totaled 32 points.

He was born in Kingston, Ontario, February 8, 1966.

so who is this melanson that was called up with muller, and does this team take knowledge through a vaccuum pump?

if these two guys can't get togethor and talk to price about his potential for disaster who can? (follow to my post in the price thread)

i mean this is rediculous. the coaches don't even have to put up with dinners with gillett i bet, and i've been there for coaches meetings with the bigwigs, and i can guarantee that nothing takes place in those types of meetings about the team.

over-coached. i've said it before and now i'm saying it again. we need to pare down on this full of mubo-jumbo bottle of bacon sauce we call a coaching staff.

Bob nothing personal but Carbo got what he deserved, it was all about him and not for the team. Any team that I've been a part of that won the big one...we were one. In the dressing room there was jokes and fun laughter. I did not see this in this team. That's why I knew they were going no where. When you have fun everything else falls into place. Carbo was a great player but he was out of his element as a coach. I think bringing Lever in was a good move. Maybe he can help with the defensive game!!!! and you ,always a great crash and bang for checker, can put in place a tenacious for check that makes the defending team defense cough up the puck. For god sake have some fun and let the chips fall where they may. We the fans just want to see some heart and effort. Best move you have made so far. "Listening to the fans".

Bob nothing personal but Carbo got what he deserved, it was all about him and not for the team. Any team that I've been a part of that won the big one...we were one. In the dressing room there was jokes and fun laughter. I did not see this in this team. That's why I knew they were going no where. When you have fun everything else falls into place. Carbo was a great player but he was out of his element as a coach. I think bringing Lever in was a good move. Maybe he can help with the defensive game!!!! and you ,always a great crash and bang for checker, can put in place a tenacious for check that makes the defending team defense cough up the puck. For god sake have some fun and let the chips fall where they may. We the fans just want to see some heart and effort. Best move you have made so far. "Listening to the fans".

Please stop spamming different threads with the same post, it's against the board rules. :) Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've always liked Muller as a coach...

And now he's the "team cheerleader" (to quote Pierre McGuire), because Gainey doesn't say much...so good on you Kirk!

Hope whatever he's saying during games motivates the guys to keep playing and keep going!!

Anyone know where Kurk is from? As in where was he born?

I've always liked Muller as a coach...

And now he's the "team cheerleader" (to quote Pierre McGuire), because Gainey doesn't say much...so good on you Kirk!

Hope whatever he's saying during games motivates the guys to keep playing and keep going!!

Anyone know where Kurk is from? As in where was he born?

I believe he's from Kingston, Ontario. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
Just a University coach who was hired because the new coach at the time ( Carbo ) liked him

I like dhim as a player but ...........

Too many of our coaching hires have been based on personal connection rather than qualifications and ability: Muller, Carbo, Jarvis.

Time to put a stop to this and start hiring the best men for the job.

Too many of our coaching hires have been based on personal connection rather than qualifications and ability: Muller, Carbo, Jarvis.

Time to put a stop to this and start hiring the best men for the job.

As long as the head coach speaks French.

• 2 months later...
According to Habs I/O, Muller is staying, while Jarvis is getting the boot. Not really sure why Muller is staying except as a cheerleader-type coach to off-set Robo-Jacques and his ice-cold demeanor. Oh well.

well, if communication was, in fact, a big issue with carbo than it's not a bad idea to keep a coach (in whatever capacity, there's no saying he won't be upstairs during games) who knows and gets along well with the players.

Archived