The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Doug Jarvis Has Been Let Go

GreekHockeyCoach

Doug Jarvis

1961_2.jpg

Position: Associate Coach

Born in Brantford, Ontario, on March 24, 1955, Doug Jarvis joined the Canadiens’ coaching staff before the start of the 2005-06 season, after two full years as the Hamilton Bulldogs Head Coach, where he posted a 79-54-10-17 coaching record. In 2003-04, he led his team to first place in the AHL North Division with a 41-25-10-4 record.

Jarvis was an assistant coach with the Dallas Stars for 14 seasons, from 1988 to 2002 - including the last five years of the franchise in Minnesota prior to moving to Dallas - which is one of the longest tenure for an assistant coach with the same NHL club. In Dallas, he won one Stanley Cup (1999), took part in two more finals (1991 and 2000), won the President’s Trophy twice (1998 and 1999) and contributed to five division titles, from 1996 to 2001.

During his final season as a professional hockey player, back in 1987-88, he was a player-coach with the AHL Binghamton Whalers.

Jarvis played for 13 seasons in the NHL with the Canadiens, the Washington Capitals and the Hartford Whalers. Selected 24th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1975 NHL Entry Draft, he was a member of the Stanley Cup Champion Canadiens in each of his first four seasons in the NHL, from 1975 to 1979. A highly respected player for his stellar defensive play, Jarvis was awarded the Frank J. Selke Trophy in 1984 as the NHL’s best defensive forward. In 1987, he was the recipient of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy for his perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

Doug Jarvis’ most significant milestone remains his NHL record of 964 consecutive regular season games. A model of consistency, he did not miss a single game throughout his entire NHL career from October 8, 1975 to October 10, 1987. During that amazing stretch he recorded 403 career points in the regular season (139 goals, 264 assists).

IT"S THE IRONMAN!!!

But seriously, why are these coach boards posted? Why so late?

I just posted them because there was talk a while ago about having threads for the assistant coaches. I just want to see if they get any posts. If they don't, they'll be removed. If they do, we'll put them here from the beginning of the season next year.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
whatever he is teaching the defenseman i just dont want to know :blink:

I concur. <_<

No matter what he tells his D-men to do, it's pathetic to watch and disgraceful for someone claiming to be coaching D-men.

I find it intriguing that Lever is apparently being groomed for the head-coaching position despite the fact that Jarvis has spent lots of time behind the bench in Montreal and is also a former ex-Bulldogs head coach. A sign possibly that Gainey isn't letting his assistants off the hook despite only firing Carbonneau?

Bob nothing personal but Carbo got what he deserved, it was all about him and not for the team. Any team that I've been a part of that won the big one...we were one. In the dressing room there was jokes and fun laughter. I did not see this in this team. That's why I knew they were going no where. When you have fun everything else falls into place. Carbo was a great player but he was out of his element as a coach. I think bringing Lever in was a good move. Maybe he can help with the defensive game!!!! and you ,always a great crash and bang for checker, can put in place a tenacious for check that makes the defending team defense cough up the puck. For god sake have some fun and let the chips fall where they may. We the fans just want to see some heart and effort. Best move you have made so far. "Listening to the fans".

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur

Anyway if one assistant coach has to be fired, I hope it's him for the lack of successs in his departments.

I find it intriguing that Lever is apparently being groomed for the head-coaching position despite the fact that Jarvis has spent lots of time behind the bench in Montreal and is also a former ex-Bulldogs head coach. A sign possibly that Gainey isn't letting his assistants off the hook despite only firing Carbonneau?

do you like defensive shells weep? you would get plenty if Jarv was running the show

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
If we can't get Larry Robinson to replace him, then why not Craig Ludwig, I think he'd be a great defensive coach. Couldn't really be any worse.

However, I don't know what Craig has been doing since retirement. Besides Larry, we have Éric Desjardins on TV every evening and waiting for a call from a team looking for a D-man coach.

One thing I was always curious about was the title Associate Coach.... not Assistant Coach as in Kirk Muller.

To me it would indicate the Head coaching was somehow a duo of sorts with Jarvis having more experience as the Head Coach at the AHL Level.

He was Gainey's choice not Carbo's.

Funny that when Carbs talked about Muller he said he needed someone who could offset communication difficulties... was Jarvis not a good communicator?

• 3 weeks later...
We're going into one of those grey areas where we may know something about a guys responsbilities, but not clearly enough to fully pin blame.

There's plenty of blame to go around. One can easily argue that we need to revamp the D corps itself. But Jarvis is in charge of the D, that's his area, and it's been easily the worst part of our game all season long. How can you not hold him accountable?

There's plenty of blame to go around. One can easily argue that we need to revamp the D corps itself. But Jarvis is in charge of the D, that's his area, and it's been easily the worst part of our game all season long. How can you not hold him accountable?

We don't know how much responsiblity he was given for the D. For all we know Carbo decided he wanted to head the D and have Jarvis just be there as an advisor.

Its a grey area really until we know specific deals of what goes on in practice and film sessions.

We don't know how much responsiblity he was given for the D. For all we know Carbo decided he wanted to head the D and have Jarvis just be there as an advisor.

Unlikely, given that in hindsight Carbo seems like a figurehead coach who left most of the practical details of coaching to his assistants.

Its a grey area really until we know specific deals of what goes on in practice and film sessions.

Ok, then fire them all at season's end (except Lever, obviously, since he wouldn't have been around to oversee the defensive schemes at the start of the year).

Our defense is atrocious, and I refuse to believe that it's solely because the players aren't good enough. Yes, we need help in our top-four, but when the same team that finished first in the conference last season suddenly can't make a simple play out of the zone without an icing, a turnover, or a delay-of-game penalty, there is a systemic problem.

Please resign immediately.

Thank you.

I agree and as someone already alluded to, this is essentially the D corps from last year. If I'm reading things correctly many players have digressed under Guy Carbonneau's tenure. Now he's gone. My point....the D-Men were good last year and maybe because of less injuries could overcome the Carbonneau obstacle. This year was different........injuries, lousy system, team turmoil and bad habits were formed.

For next year, I'd like a former defenceman for a D coach. I'd like to keep these defenceman for next year and work in the youngins (Weber, O'Byrne, others): Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek and Gorges.

Archived