The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

First Job?

dfrancis

I'm 14, and looking for a first job. I'm trying to decide if i should work at a grocery store or restaurant. The grocery is a nofrills less than 100 metres from my house, but there is no guarantee i can get a job there. the restaurant is maybe 1.5 km away, and i know the owner so i can almost guarantee a job there. i know i will get minimum wage anywhere i go, but i am torn between the grocery that's so close and the restaurant. i'm starting to lean towards the restaurant because i think experience in a restaurant is more valuable than at a grocery store.

Opinions? thanks.

I'm 14, and looking for a first job. I'm trying to decide if i should work at a grocery store or restaurant. The grocery is a nofrills less than 100 metres from my house, but there is no guarantee i can get a job there. the restaurant is maybe 1.5 km away, and i know the owner so i can almost guarantee a job there. i know i will get minimum wage anywhere i go, but i am torn between the grocery that's so close and the restaurant. i'm starting to lean towards the restaurant because i think experience in a restaurant is more valuable than at a grocery store.

Opinions? thanks.

GO FOR THE GROCERY STORE!

Working in a restaurant SUCKS, for me anyways (17 year old student). I've never been happier being a stockboy at my local foodland :) It's like getting paid to lift weights :P

I've always thought the grocery stores a good places to work and learn a business. I know someone who started at your age and by the time he left for university he was pretty much running the show when the manager was not around -- people skills, retail, handling cash. etc., etc. Not bad at all.

Ha!! I remember at 14 myself in Montreal showing up at the "labour-mart" each morning and climbing on a truck to who knows where (I didn't), get off the truck go into a chicken factory and pull the innards out of chickens all day.

I don't suppose that's a "go" these days, for a 14 year-old. But back then I didn't know any different, and I survived just fine.

Nothing wrong with a good honest day's work, adn some money to spend (and save) -- some of each, I always say.

If you get in, always ask questions and learn. And always ask what else you can do; don't sit around on your duff. Doing nothing is boring as heck.

Good luck.

Do you have a preferance? If so, just good with whatever one it is. If not, go to the grocery store and if they don't need/take you, go to the restaurant where you say you almost have a guaranteed job.

It's completely up to you. The restaurant might be better at a younger age since you know the owner..but yeah it's your choice!

You might get better hours at the grocery store and there may be more opportunity for advancement. When I was 16 I started working for Capitol Stores (local grocery chain now owned by Loblaws) with a friend of mine. We stocked shelves and carried out groceries. My friend moved up to the position of store manager for one of the largest Superstores in our area. I moved on to work as a sales rep for several national food companies as a broker and then moved on to pharmaceutical sales.

I remember a guy working with my brother at McDonald's flipping burgers in 1979. I saw him again last summer... flipping burgers at a Wendy's.

I realize that everyone's situation is different but you asked for our opinions and our experiences. Those are mine.

Most companies will be flexible to work around school hours and other activities. (school hockey team, etc.) Some companies may offer scholarships as well, check this out.

Good luck!

It really depends on many things. First where do you live? I know in some small towns it's very hard to get a job if you don't know anyone.

And also do you know what you will be doing in the restaurant? As long as it's not dishwashing, I would say go for the restaurant. Dishwashing is absolutely one of the worst legal jobs, ever. Like you'll be most likely stuck in the basement, not even close to the cooks, and like you're isolated there for hours. Plus it's not just washing dishes, it's also heavy lifting, moping the floor, scrubbing the floor, some food preparation, everyone tells you what to do, some people will tell you do this while another tells you to do that. You're gonna get exploited by the guy with the most power. And like there's never a break. If you'll just attend a few tables, bus, it's not bad at all.

Groceries should be pretty easy, stocking shelves and some heavy lifing. But these days, I doubt managers would go for a 14 year old who's never worked before. Maybe in a small town but not a big city.

Because of your age, I'm going to say grocery store. But since you know the owner of the restaurant, and if he can give you a server position, I'd go with the that. Any other position, regarding your age in a restaurant, would probably lead you to washing dishes, busting tables or doing take-out <--- All of which suck.

Myself, I work at restaurant, and have to say that it's the best job I've had. Why?

TIPS. Non Taxed...Hard Cash...All Yours To Keep...TIPS.

On a busy night, I can make at least $200. Mind you, I work at a family restaurant(Greek Restaurant to boot ;)) If you work at a bar-oriented restaurant, you can probably make double or triple that.

All in all, I think you should stick with the grocery store.

CHEERS

Because of your age, I'm going to say grocery store. But since you know the owner of the restaurant, and if he can give you a server position, I'd go with the that. Any other position, regarding your age in a restaurant, would probably lead you to washing dishes, busting tables or doing take-out <--- All of which suck.

Myself, I work at restaurant, and have to say that it's the best job I've had. Why?

TIPS. Non Taxed...Hard Cash...All Yours To Keep...TIPS.

On a busy night, I can make at least $200. Mind you, I work at a family restaurant(Greek Restaurant to boot ;)) If you work at a bar-oriented restaurant, you can probably make double or triple that.

All in all, I think you should stick with the grocery store.

CHEERS

Very true regarding the TIPS.

The only problem with this person waiting tables might be his age and the type of restaurant he/she is applying to. (Sorry I can't remember if this person was a male or female) Here in Nova Scotia, you have to be of legal age (19) to serve alcohol. Not sure if the same law applies in other provinces.

The only problem with this person waiting tables might be his age and the type of restaurant he/she is applying to. (Sorry I can't remember if this person was a male or female) Here in Nova Scotia, you have to be of legal age (19) to serve alcohol. Not sure if the same law applies in other provinces.

Yup, that's also another issue. In Ontario, it's 19 years of age and you have to have a certified license, which you can get over the internet to serve alcohol.

You might get better hours at the grocery store and there may be more opportunity for advancement. When I was 16 I started working for Capitol Stores (local grocery chain now owned by Loblaws) with a friend of mine. We stocked shelves and carried out groceries. My friend moved up to the position of store manager for one of the largest Superstores in our area. I moved on to work as a sales rep for several national food companies as a broker and then moved on to pharmaceutical sales.

I remember a guy working with my brother at McDonald's flipping burgers in 1979. I saw him again last summer... flipping burgers at a Wendy's.

I realize that everyone's situation is different but you asked for our opinions and our experiences. Those are mine.

Most companies will be flexible to work around school hours and other activities. (school hockey team, etc.) Some companies may offer scholarships as well, check this out.

Good luck!

This is similar to my situation, my first job was busboy at a restaurant and that went no where, I then got a job at a grocery store which eventually lead me to the job I still have after almost thirty years, I am a sales rep for a company that sells to grocery stores, and that came about from contacts I made while working at the grocery store.

Take the grocery store, more chances for advancement and maybe you could wind up with a career with a wholesaler.

It's not just a legal thing either though. No restaurant is going to hire a 14 year old, legal or not, to be a waiter or bartender. At that age, you're dishwashing, bussing tables, maybe a kitchen assistant if you're lucky.

Archived