The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Acquire Doug Janik For Steve Begin

BadBrains

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268795&amp...os=topStory_nhl

The Montreal Canadiens have traded Steve Begin to the Dallas Stars for defenceman Doug Janik.

The 30-year old Begin played in 42 games this season for the Canadiens, and recorded 6 goals and 4 assists. He is in his 9th season, having begun his career with the Calgary Flames before being picked up off waivers by the Canadiens prior to the 2003-04 season.

The native of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec had a career-high of 23 points in 2005-06.

"Steve is a gritty, honest player with a very strong work ethic," said Stars Co-General Manager Les Jackson in a statement. "He's good on the penalty kill and he is a competitor in every sense of the word. We think he'll be a very good addition to our group as we continue to fight toward the playoffs."

I think this trade is good. I liked Begin as a HABS but with the emergence of our young guys (Pacs, D'Agostini, Stewart), this trade gives room to them.

I beleive Janik has a 2-way contract so it is possible he will play in hamilton as our D is pretty stack. The trade therefore opens up a place on the 23 man roster.

Good luck in Dallas Begin.. but go HABS Go!

Of note:

Begin's cap hit: 1.057 mil

Janik's cap hit: 0.500 mil

I see this as less of a reflection on Begin's play (which was stellar) and more of a cap-clearing move. If Gainey's making a play for a big-name center, he now has both the cap room and the defense prospects to make the deal.

I agree. Although he had some off nights, he was a really hard working player and i'm sure many would agree. I get the feeling Laraque is also going to be traded, cause they were the two who spoke publicly about wanting to either play more or be traded, and that'd clear up much more space for BG to maneuver.

I think we've got plenty of defensive prospects, so i don't really care about this Janik guy, wish we could've gotten a draft pick as well, even in a later round, but oh well.

Thanks for all the grit you brought to the game Steve.

We Traded Begin for another D-man!

Stever was the man!

We didn't need another defenceman! In my opinion....we lost that trade

Begin is UFA, he complained in public about ice-time and wasn't playing anyway. On top of that, he's making over $1 million this season.

It was a money saving move and Gainey traded him at his own request.

If this is a cap-clearing move in preparation for a big trade, I understand and approve.

if this is just a courtesy trade for Begin, it's a mistake. It's no secret that I'm not Begin's biggest fan, but he's exactly the kind of energy depth guy who can be very useful in a post-season context. Why on earth do you trade him for an AHL-bound defenseman when you're in the thick of the playoff race?

If this is a cap-clearing move in preparation for a big trade, I understand and approve.

if this is just a courtesy trade for Begin, it's a mistake. It's no secret that I'm not Begin's biggest fan, but he's exactly the kind of energy depth guy who can be very useful in a post-season context. Why on earth do you trade him for an AHL-bound defenseman when you're in the thick of the playoff race?

A courtesy trade is good, Bob takes care, somehow, of those he signs here, even if they end up not fitting into the team's plans. It's a good long-term image to project.

The 4th line will now be a combination of Chipchura-Laraque-Stewart-Dandeneault, if Carbo plays them 7 minutes a game it should get the job done.

Last year, I would have agreed with you. But with Lapierre's drastic improvement, and Tom the Bomb, Chips, Dandy and Stewart playing their hearts out every game (not to mention MaxPac destroying guys every so often), I'd say we're awash in energy depth guys. I wouldn't say no to a little extra depth on D either - Josh Gorges is the only defenseman on the Habs who is younger than 30 years old. Two of our current top 6 are over 38 years old, and most of our many prospects are still a year or two away from regular NHL action.

Archived