The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Acquire Doug Janik For Steve Begin

BadBrains

If this is a cap-clearing move in preparation for a big trade, I understand and approve.

if this is just a courtesy trade for Begin, it's a mistake. It's no secret that I'm not Begin's biggest fan, but he's exactly the kind of energy depth guy who can be very useful in a post-season context. Why on earth do you trade him for an AHL-bound defenseman when you're in the thick of the playoff race?

I tend to agree. Guys like Begin are warriors in the playoffs & will keep playing until every last bone in their bodies are broken. I dont think its going to kill us to lose him but if the return was minor & there appeared no reason to do so other than as a courtesy, it was a bad move. Keeping him as insurance has got to be worth more than acquiring Janik.

That said, perhaps it is a precursor to a deal where we take on more salary (Begin's cap hit was $1.3m, Janik's is .5 (does he have a 2way deal?)) so it does clear up a little room for us. I could definitely live with it if its a sign of things to come....that said, why not do it AFTER the main deal...

Last year, I would have agreed with you. But with Lapierre's drastic improvement, and Tom the Bomb, Chips, Dandy and Stewart playing their hearts out every game (not to mention MaxPac destroying guys every so often), I'd say we're awash in energy depth guys. I wouldn't say no to a little extra depth on D either - Josh Gorges is the only defenseman on the Habs who is younger than 30 years old. Two of our current top 6 are over 38 years old, and most of our many prospects are still a year or two away from regular NHL action.

Interesting analysis, you raise some good points. Id also add Lats to the list of "energy guys" - at least when he plays with Laps & Kosto.

If this is a cap-clearing move in preparation for a big trade, I understand and approve.

if this is just a courtesy trade for Begin, it's a mistake. It's no secret that I'm not Begin's biggest fan, but he's exactly the kind of energy depth guy who can be very useful in a post-season context. Why on earth do you trade him for an AHL-bound defenseman when you're in the thick of the playoff race?

While I have no love loss for Begin, if I were a betting man and damn well I am, this trade was made for clearing cap space. If I recall we were weighing rather heavily against the cap with the addition of Schneider on the back end once Tanguay returned to the lineup. Thus Begin was dealt to alleviate cap pressure.

Nonetheless believe what you may however I sincerely doubt Gainey is readily preparing for a blockbuster deal this season or over the summer, Schneider was our big trade and unless Kovalev is traded, our only decent one.

I disagree. It's a good thing in terms of reputation around the league. And let's not forget that Begin is one of our UFAs, highly unlikely we would have offered him a new contract anyway with all the guys in Hamilton. Might as well trade him since he wasn't playing here and give the guy a chance to showcase himself for other teams.

As for his post-season effectiveness, you may be right. But for some reason, I still remember quite clearly how he cost us game 4 against the Flyers last year. Briefly after Koivu tied the game, Begin decided it was a great idea to check a Flyer from behind into the open door at the Flyer's bench. Briere scored the game winner on the ensuing power play and Philly added an empty netter a couple of minutes later.

Of course this is an isolated event but as much as I like Begin, IMO he's often displayed a penchant for taking silly penalties in the most inopportune moments.

Too bad that Begin is the one who got traded, the way things are now I would have traded Laraque instead, even if only for a draft pick. He is adding nothing to the team, no offence, certainly no defence, no grit, no passion, no nothing... and the bad thing about this is, I've felt this way about Laraque ever since the time Komi got injured fighting a guy he wasn't supposed to. But then again, other GM's have eyes too, who would have traded for Laraque the way he has been playing so far ? Well, maybe Rejean Houle...

Begin is all heart, grit and effort night after night. Good luck, all the best, all I can hope for is you don't destroy the Habs next time we meet. Other than that, good luck Begin. You are a warrior.

Go Habs Go !!!

Nice, trade away the guy that's a warrior in the playoffs. I guess we'll have to put up with Laraques energy and toughness for 3 minutes a night in the playoffs instead.

Well,laraque not happy with carbo,we all know carbo doesn't give a hoot about that,he will not cave into laraque's displeasures of late.

He may just have punched his one way ticket out of habville.

Nice, trade away the guy that's a warrior in the playoffs. I guess we'll have to put up with Laraques energy and toughness for 3 minutes a night in the playoffs instead.

Begin also cost us at least one game against Philly in the playoffs last year, and took more than his share of unnecessary, bonehead penalties. I remember thinking his jig was up back then. Besides, if the guy I'm hearing the Habs are interested in actually does get traded to the Habs, then it will more than make up for Begin's grit. Gregory Stewart replaces him anyway.

Begin also cost us at least one game against Philly in the playoffs last year, and took more than his share of unnecessary, bonehead penalties. I remember thinking his jig was up back then. Besides, if the guy I'm hearing the Habs are interested in actually does get traded to the Habs, then it will more than make up for Begin's grit. Gregory Stewart replaces him anyway.

You're blaming him for losing the series when we couldn't score to save our lives and our goaltending was god awful? Yeah, definately Begin's one penalty was the cause of us losing.

And after watching Stewart the last couple years he doesn't even come close to Begins energy.

Archived