The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Truth On Eklund?

I came across a very peculiar article by a well-known Yahoo sports author named Greg Wyshynski on a site called HockeyBuzzHogwash, a site dedicated to exposing Eklund.

Here he tries his best to "expose" Mr. Dwane K. Klessel (Eklund) and answer any question about his sources, his bio and his presentation about himself, the article is very lengthy so I'll give you a few excerpts and the link:

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/?page_id=451

Eklund began blogging during the NHL lockout, developing a site called Eklund’s Hockey Rumors that provided nuggets of information from unnamed sources which were quickly devoured by hockey fans starving for positive news. With an unquestionable passion for all things hockey, Eklund — the name came from Pelle Eklund, a former player with his favorite team the Philadelphia Flyers – claimed to have sources inside the negotiations between the players and the owners, and would boldly (and falsely) predict milestones along the way towards labor peace.

My theory had always been that Eklund kept his anonymity partly because the public confirmation of his real name – Google “dwayne” and “klessel” and “eklund,” but you ain’t heard that from me — would solidify the contradictions in his biography. And we’re talking George O’Leary-level contradictions: Saying he worked for the NHL in one bio and saying he had nothing to do with hockey after college in the other. In the context of the PHWA and professional journalism in general, biographical pissings aren’t taken too lightly. “In most cases, if he made up a resume, he’d be fired,” said Allen.

So how does Eklund explain the dueling bios? He’s given the answer to the writers on his site, to some members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association and to NHL officials. And while he wouldn’t confirm it on the record with me — please note he would not deny it, either — here is that answer:

Eklund worked for the NHL under both John Ziegler and Gary Bettman. Eklund interned with the Quebec Nordiques. Eklund wrote for the Hockey News. Eklund did all of these things, even though Eklund also had nothing to do with hockey after graduating from college. This is because Eklund — at least in the pre-HockeyBuzz, rocket-to-lockout-stardom days — wasn’t a person.

“He” was a committee.

Eklund was the byline, but the information about high-level ownership meetings and inside scoops from the NHLPA came from a consortium of plugged-in individuals that wanted to break through the spin machine and speak directly to the fans. The biography on the site was crafted together from different members of this League of Extraordinary Eklunds.

It is my belief that the “blogger by committee” apparently ended when HockeyBuzz started, although Eklund would neither confirm or deny that. Eklund said, on the record, that he writes every blog that appears under his shadowy picture — and next to what is the “correct” biography for the current incarnation of the anonymous hockey blogger.

There’s no denying that Eklund now has legitimate sources; if not with NHL franchises themselves, then with player agents and even within the top brass of the NHL, including a relationship with commissioner Gary Bettman. Yet he continues to mix the occasional breaking news with dozens of false leads, bad information andoutlandish proposals. Allen said when it comes to the PHWA, there are plenty of different kinds of writers under the tent — from columnists and rumor-mongers to feature writers — so Eklund’s chosen form of hockey writing isn’t an issue. In the end, and even before questions about his ethics would even be addressed, there’s only one primary reason why Eklund will not be admitted into the PHWA.

It’s the very thing that’s brought Eklund both fame and infamy: his anonymity.

So if he never becomes a member of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, does Eklund consider himself a journalist, a blogger or both?

“Probably more like an entertainer,” he said.

It is my belief that the “blogger by committee” apparently ended when HockeyBuzz started, although Eklund would neither confirm or deny that.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I remember him on one forum I used to visit before I ever found this one - he was actually amazingly accurate - so when we heard he was setting up a blog, many of us were excited. Turns out the credibility and accuracy went out the window when that happened, of course.

I enjoy his site, i know its not truth or anything but it passes my time at work reading his posts and the other people that post on the site.

So if he never becomes a member of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, does Eklund consider himself a journalist, a blogger or both?

“Probably more like an entertainer,” he said.

Maybe you enjoy it but I don't, I hate feeding some useless scum some free cash for giving me absolute *****. If I want entertainment I go to a game, I don't read news for entertainment.

Maybe you enjoy it but I don't, I hate feeding some useless scum some free cash for giving me absolute *****. If I want entertainment I go to a game, I don't read news for entertainment.

or some game you have to pay to play online, or a game you have to pay to rent, or ANYTHING you spend money on that you enjoy!!! If you dont like it dont spend money (I dont spend money on his site) but the hatred you have for him is uncalled for, you have the ability to not waste your time with it.

To be honest, i wish i was the one to think about making a ***** rumor site that uses rumors from other site for his own and make money doing it, since its no where near the worst way possible to make money.

or some game you have to pay to play online, or a game you have to pay to rent, or ANYTHING you spend money on that you enjoy!!! If you dont like it dont spend money (I dont spend money on his site) but the hatred you have for him is uncalled for, you have the ability to not waste your time with it.

To be honest, i wish i was the one to think about making a ***** rumor site that uses rumors from other site for his own and make money doing it, since its no where near the worst way possible to make money.

Games aren't lies, games aren't misleading or give you false hopes. If you like reading news you know are lies thats your entertainment, but I hate people who attempt to manipulate the mainstream AND make cash of people for doing so. You don't pay anything of course, he gets paid from advertisers because you view the site and as far as I know he has exclusive information you pay for as well.

EKLUNDS SITE IS A RUMOUR SITE.

"My Uncle's dog farted three times last night, that means that Boumeester will go to a team out west"

^ that qualifies as a legit rumour.

This is why people who hate on what eklund is doing have no credibility. Eklund not once claims to KNOW EVERYTHING. He claims to have rumours with sources, and he's one of VERY FEW web bloggers with a press pass in the NHL.

Heres a funny end result from the deadline:

Eklund Rumors Reported since Jan 08: 413

Eklund Rumors Correct since Jan 08: 14

Correct Rate 3.2%

The Forechecker's probability trade project, taking every possible UFA, and making every possible playoff team and not being traded a possibility. Basically throwing a dart against every wall possible, the result?

A 5.54% correct rate

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pc9...rjefQ&hl=en

More on Eklund's stupidity at this years deadline here, where many many people were demanding their money back:

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

EKLUNDS SITE IS A RUMOUR SITE.

"My Uncle's dog farted three times last night, that means that Boumeester will go to a team out west"

^ that qualifies as a legit rumour.

This is why people who hate on what eklund is doing have no credibility. Eklund not once claims to KNOW EVERYTHING. He claims to have rumours with sources, and he's one of VERY FEW web bloggers with a press pass in the NHL.

Is that an E3 or E5?

Seriously though the man has absolutely no credibility what so ever. I just feel sorry for the poor suckers that spent money on his ***** and for someone with a press pass he sure doesn't get his stories/rumors straight. Its kind of an insult to real journalists.

I know it's just for entertainment purposes but some people seem to take this guy way too seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

How can anyone get so upset with Eklund when the man himself answer a question about his journalistic integrity by saying he is, “Probably more like an entertainer." This is very simple people. Ignore him if you are aren't interested or read his site if it truly does entertain you such as another member mentioned. Who cares if he peddles in heresy and conjecture? Heck you see TSN do the same from time to time but they are paid journalists. Eklund is just some guy whom an advertiser has decided to pay for his time; something not unique to people with skill.

Archived