The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Salary Cap, For Or Against

Salary Cap, for or against?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still want a cap?

• Yes
    • No

Basic survey, we've had plenty of time to see what a cap in the NHL would do and lets get a consensus going on this issue, are you still in favor of it yes or no?

My response is no, I don't like salary caps as it prevents teams from making a push and unfairly forces teams to spend what they don't want to. I would much much prefer some sort of player cap over a salary cap.

I don't think the league will remove the cap...

They will have to.

Let's say the cap go down 10 million within 3,4 years, just take a look at all the ridiculous contract who have been accorded lately, that would mean that some of the players would lose their jobs because of the cap, and do you think the NHLPA will let that happen?

Kiss the cap good bye then.

And maybe another lockout because the people who run this league are major douche.

They will have to.

Let's say the cap go down 10 million within 3,4 years, just take a look at all the ridiculous contract who have been accorded lately, that would mean that some of the players would lose their jobs because of the cap, and do you think the NHLPA will let that happen?

Kiss the cap good bye then.

And maybe another lockout because the people who run this league are major douche.

I think the NHL would discuss scaling down annual salaries then and lowering the floor, no way the league locks out again.

I think you really need the cap. Unfortunately in the NHL a non-cap system doesn't work very well because of the differing financial positions of the teams. People blamed GMs who couldn't manage a budget for the troubles earlier this decade. In fact, it was due to inequality. A team like NYR could spend 80 million a year and it made perfect sense for them, but it inflated the salaries of all the other players and most teams were losing money. I simply don't think the league could survive long term without some sort of a cap.

Financials were the main motivation behind the cap, but parity is a nice bonus. I think it makes GMs have to spend wisely and keeps teams on an even footing.

The two downsides are that a team that drafts really well can have players stolen (once they are out of cap room) by teams who draft crappy (and thus have plenty of cap space since they don't need to spend it on their own players); and that it makes trades more difficult (although the Burke solution where a team can keep some salary would do a lot to help this). I also hate the low UFA age, but this isn't directly tied to the cap.

The two downsides are that a team that drafts really well can have players stolen (once they are out of cap room) by teams who draft crappy (and thus have plenty of cap space since they don't need to spend it on their own players); and that it makes trades more difficult (although the Burke solution where a team can keep some salary would do a lot to help this). I also hate the low UFA age, but this isn't directly tied to the cap.

i'm in favour of the cap for the reasons you've stated.

what i've quoted here i found interesting as it raises the question as to whether or not the league could survive with a soft cap. a friend of mine mentioned to me that in the nba (despite their many financial issues) when a player is resigned (i'm assuming as a ufa) there is a percentage of that players' salary that doesn't count against the cap if the player was drafted by that team (i don't follow the nba so someone correct me if i'm wrong). it might be a good saftey net for the league to consider rather than watching teams disband after two years because of the ufa market.

i thought it was interesting at least.

the cap will never go away IMO.

allowing teams, (rich teams) to "make a push", no....IE:.red sox...yankees....rangers...leafs....redwings.....is rediculous IMO.

Teams that can't afford the minimum,...either lower the min.......or better still, move those teams to a canadian market....end of story.

you either learn to draft well, and manage the cap.....or you die....or hire a new GM....hahaha

if the cap goes down signifigantly, as some have speculated,.....BG not making a deal for vinnie would look good ....no?

these teams that gave out these long term, high priced contracts, ( vinnie, depietro...etc.) could be in big trouble shortly....

thats why I believe alot of the top dogs did not get moved on trade day, too high a price and teams not really knowing where the cap is going to be.

parity is a good thing...with out the cap, i believe the habs would be in a very bad state...

And I'm going to be the one to finally ask...sport...what is a player cap, I know the NHL requires helmets to be worn, does a player cap include visors, or what?????

salary cap/player cap...???...maybe a soft cap like the NBA...( and to me the NBA seems to have no coherant cap at all.)

Archived