The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Steve Downie Suspended 20 Games In Ahl

js2

that article does not have the whole story. He 'slashed' the official when putting his stick down for a faceoff. He didnt just go out and hack at the ref, the ref was hit by the stick when Downie was going for the puck.

http://www.stevasports.com/Online%20Steva%...&lk=2613489

I really don't know how that is possible unless you are totally unaware of what's happening. I've played center for 35 years and have never come close to slashing an official.

I'm from Peterborough where Downie played most of his junior career. He is a loose canon.

I don't think he should be allowed to play professional hockey.

He seems to lack basic respect and thinks his goon-like behavior will make him appreciated by his team.

I don't think it does, but I could be wrong.

that article does not have the whole story. He 'slashed' the official when putting his stick down for a faceoff. He didnt just go out and hack at the ref, the ref was hit by the stick when Downie was going for the puck.

http://www.stevasports.com/Online%20Steva%...&lk=2613489

Sorry but this comes off sounding like the story you'd tell a proctologist! "Honestly doc, I just fell on that! It was a million to one shot!"

I dont believe for one minute he didnt know what he was doing. If there was no intent, the worst he would have gotten is a few games. 20 games is a MAJOR suspension - the league felt there was intent, dont kid yourself. You dont have to 'hear the other side' to know that.

Actually, the 20 games was the minimum for the infraction.

Yes but again - if there's intent. My point is that if the league felt for one second it was accidental they wouldnt have suspended him or they would have tried to make a different action the incident for suspension.

Trying to give a little benefit of the doubt. I dont like the kid. He seemed more at home with the Philly brute squad where he did earn a 21 game suspension

Yeah, i wasnt trying to single you out. I know you were just playing devils advocate. I am all for giving people second chances but this kid is a just an accident waiting to happen - a career-ending sucker-punch waiting to happen.

I mean heck, look at this: he actually elbows the linesman in the head after being taken down (way worse than the grabs kicking/pushing incident). He's lucky he got off that time:

Looks like a slash to me............ and if thats how he tries to win face offs then , yeah he should stop playing for that reason alone. It looks like an obvious attempt to hurt the ref. This guy is not right in the head and should be banned from hockey

In no way do I condone that type of behaviour but refs in this league are professionals they should be fined suspended when they make major screw ups.

Any thoughts?

Yes but again - if there's intent. My point is that if the league felt for one second it was accidental they wouldnt have suspended him or they would have tried to make a different action the incident for suspension.

Yeah, i wasnt trying to single you out. I know you were just playing devils advocate. I am all for giving people second chances but this kid is a just an accident waiting to happen - a career-ending sucker-punch waiting to happen.

I mean heck, look at this: he actually elbows the linesman in the head after being taken down (way worse than the grabs kicking/pushing incident). He's lucky he got off that time:

Looked more like he was trying to get up

• 2 weeks later...
In no way do I condone that type of behaviour but refs in this league are professionals they should be fined suspended when they make major screw ups.

Any thoughts?

Refs make honest mistakes due to nature of the game and the size of their eyeballs. Now if a ref did anything close to what steve downie does, they by all means they should suffer some sort of punishment. But you can't punish a ref for making a mistake unless the list of mistakes grows very large both in size and type then they should very well be dealt with. Referees and their mistakes are a necessary evil, Steve Downie is not.

Archived