Friday March 6th, 7:30 pm

PHILIPS ARENA IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA

22433378.JPG

mtl.png@ atl.png

Jaroslav Halak

610x.jpg

Kari Lehtonen

610x.jpg

The Canadiens are hoping that goaltender Jaroslav Halak is healthy enough to play Friday night when the Canadiens continue their road trip in Atlanta.

Halak, who has won his last four starts, missed the opening game of the three-game road trip because of a virus. The team basically quarantined him after learning that he might be contagious.

The team missed Halak on Wednesday in Buffalo, where the Sabres were easy 5-1 winners. Carey Price, who has struggled since he returned from an ankle injury in late January, stopped only 22 of 27 shots, and his record fell to 2-9-1 since his return.

The loss came hours after general manager Bob Gainey gave his team what he called a vote of confidence by not making a deal at the trading deadline. Gainey felt he plugged any holes in the lineup with the earlier acquisitions of defenseman Mathieu Schneider and forward Glen Metropolit.

Gainey did try to move versatile forward/defenseman Mathieu Dandenault, but teams weren’t interested in picking up what’s left of his $1.725 million salary.

The Canadiens are hoping to get offensive help for the Atlanta game. Winger Alex Tanguay, who has been out since Dec. 30 with a separated shoulder, hopes to get some contact in practice. That’s the last step in his recovery process.

Sabres 5, Canadiens 1: The Canadiens squandered some opportunities in the first period, when they outshot Buffalo 18-10 and went 0-for-3 on the power play. Goaltender Carey Price made his first start since Feb. 19 and admitted to feeling rusty, but he didn’t get a lot of help from his teammates, who stopped playing after the first period. Tomas Plekanec spoiled Patrick Lalime’s shutout bid when he scored with 1:06 remaining in the game.

Notes, Quotes

• The Canadiens went 0-for-5 on the power play. It was the first time the Canadiens have failed to score at least one power-play goal in the seven games since they acquired defenseman Mathieu Schneider from Atlanta.

• Buffalo leads the season series with Montreal 3-2, the home team winning in each of the five games. Montreal dropped to 14-17-3 on the road.

• The Canadiens outshot Atlanta 39-27. It was the first time in nine games that the Canadiens held an edge in shots.

Quote To Note: “I thought we had a great start. We had 18 shots in the first period. Yeah, we were down by one goal, but we had chances and maybe we didn’t get the bounces we deserved. Overall, I thought we were OK. But we weren’t able to sustain that in the last two periods. That’s troubling. We’re battling for a playoff spot and if we can’t sustain the energy and the focus, there’s something wrong. They’re either tired or not in shape.”—Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau on his team’s play.

Player Notes:

• C Tomas Plekanec scored his 18th goal of the season to run his points streak to seven games. He has seven goals and four assists since returning to the lineup following a two-game suspension.

• G Carey Price made his first start since Feb. 19 and gave up five goals on 27 shots. He is 2-9-1 since returning from an ankle injury in late January. In that stretch, he has a 3.91 goals-against average and an .873 save percentage.

• D Mike Komisarek has been struggling. He was a minus-1, but the physical defenseman had only one blocked shot and no hits.

Medical Watch:

• C Robert Lang suffered a torn Achilles tendon when the back of his leg was cut by a skate in the third period of the Feb. 1 game against Boston. He won’t play again in the regular season, but there’s an outside chance he could return if the Canadiens go deep in the playoffs.

• LW Guillaume Latendresse suffered a shoulder injury when he crashed into the boards in the third period of that Feb. 1 Boston game. The Canadiens said Latendresse is on schedule with his recovery and should return in 10-14 days.

• RW Alex Tanguay left the Tampa game on Dec. 30 in the first period with a shoulder injury after he was checked into the boards by Evgeny Artyukhin. He has resumed practicing on a regular basis, but the team doctors have cleared him for contact. Coach Guy Carbonneau hopes to have Tanguay in the lineup for the Friday game in Atlanta.

• D Francis Bouillon is out with a groin injury. He will be re-evaluated in the middle of March.

• LW Georges Laraque left the Buffalo game in the second period with a lower body injury. There was no immediate word on the extent of the injury.

Sorry that the thread is not fancy, I just noticed that no one had signed up to do this thread and it's gameday. As well, I'm at work and I don't have the time to get creative. Let's hope the Habs get back on track.

Thanks for the GDT!

C'mon Mathieu Schneider, score a couple or half a dozen against your old team.

It will be interesting to see how this team reacts to their strenuous practice from yesterday. My fear is that having not being used to such a practice, they will be too dead tired tonight. LOL

Well anyway...........

GO HABS GO!

We have to spend more Energy Back Cheaking. I've notice we're not getting the rebounds we should be in either end. It's not always luck of the bounce, it having a physical prescence in front of the net and winning the positioning game. I'd like to see montreal take away space in the neutral zone and close the gaps more on their own end. I was to see the forwards pinching down on D'fence when they need to. I want to see our D'fence picking up their assignments in our end. Take a penalty if you have to, win the battle in front of the net, regardless !!!! I also want to see mid-game adjustments to players that aren't putting themselves on the line. If they haven't come to play make them take some time on the bench to think about it.

Let's leave Price alone for this one, he's battling himself right now. He's our guy this game and he needs support from his fans as much as his team.

If every player picks up their assignment and makes good adjustments to their game as they always should the misstakes will inadvertently take care of them selves...

http://habsinsideout.com/main/16738

"Georges Laraque left the Buffalo game after two periods with a back injury and he said his season might be over. While there won’t be any official word until he sees a doctor, but Laraque said the ailment is “10 times worse” than the back problem that sidelined him for six weeks after Christmas."

-----

... :blink: *takes down Laraque poster I got for free* Well he's been mighty useful.

As much as I'd prefer to see Halak in net tonight, I feel that Carey will (finally) bounce back with a huge game.

Wow and where do you base this feeling on? I hope your right but with whats in his head he needs to be away from the game and get back to what made him a good goalie. Go with the flow and he can't do that right now with this coach and this system.

Archived